The Whatever Thread

Page 39 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Whatever Thread

Post  SonGopaul on Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:30 pm

Sit it through, DarkFalco. Since I'm living about 6 hours ahead of you , my day got better.

I woke up feeling rough, and found out when I got to work I had to take all the stock down from the top floor storeroom (small building, lots of floors). Luckily just as I was finishing doing that, my boss asked if I could swap my morning tomorrow for a day shift. I'm not turning down a lay in! The rest of the day was spent telling jokes with one of the other managers whilst working, so it made me feel a lot better.

Let's put it this way, if I was still working tomorrow morning, I'd be in bed right now.

SonGopaul
Cannibal Suspect

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Relmitos on Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:50 pm

My COMM teacher is getting better at that whole compliment thing. Instead of telling me "You did better then I thought you would", I got told "I'm impressed" which I guess could be construed as being slightly insulting as well, but I took it without the insult part. I'm amazed though, in my speech I laid down the line "Luck is not a lady to me", and it slayed the whole class. I was kinda shocked at the response, the whole class was laughing.

Relmitos
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Omicron Austin on Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:59 pm

Raya wrote:
Omicron Austin wrote:
Out of interest, have any of you ever had to take an IQ test at any point in your lives, young or old? I took one in 3rd grade, and another during my sophomore year.

Took the official Mensa entrance exam a few years back. I passed, meaning I'm in the top 2% and apparently borderline genius. Though if you've ever witnessed all the sheer stupid stuff I come out with you'd probably doubt it. I'll blame it on being blonde Razz

That's really impressive. I've been thinking about taking that kind of test.

At the moment, my official IQ is 129 (from the test I took sophomore year), and 130 is in the top 2%. There's a mild chance that I could scrape into Mensa with one of their exams.

If I recall, I shattered a test involving orienting red and white cubes into specific shapes and was super incredible at it, but I'm not too amazing at word association or something.

And related to your last comment, during my research, I came upon a book with a chapter called "Why Smart People Do Stupid Things," and it describes how narrow the focus is of IQ tests. They don't measure rationality, sensitivity to inconsistency, belief perseverance, or anything emotionally related.

Although in my opinion, it's partly a defense mechanism. You didn't need to say that last comment at all, but you still decided to. Why? If you stopped on the sentence beforehand, some of us (your peers) may perceive it to be arrogance or gloating, and you might not be as welcomed if you were "smarter than the rest of us". Out of a forum environment, you're going to subconsciously act "unintelligently" to try to fit in more effectively. I've been friends and have really only acquainted myself with gifted or intelligent people almost my whole life, and I see this happen with everybody, including myself. I make sure to stress to everybody how much I procrastinate, without mentioning the part that I'll still get an A later that semester.

Omicron Austin
Savior in Green

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ansem on Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:12 pm

oh, did you want scores?

Did it twice, first time 148, second time 143. Pretty disappointing

Ansem
Mustached Juggernaut

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Requiem on Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:30 pm

Eh... I never did an IQ test, and then just a moment ago I did an online one which I doubt is all that reliable, but... *Shrugs* I got a 131

Requiem
Savior in Green

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Omicron Austin on Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:48 pm

Ansem wrote:oh, did you want scores?

Did it twice, first time 148, second time 143. Pretty disappointing

I was going to avoid it because generally it's a sort of "taboo" subject, but Raya had to 1-up me, and I felt the need to go "AHA, BUT NOT BY THAT MUCH!" because I'm a competitive guy. Though I suppose she never learned by what amount she was in the top 2%, so she may be in your situation and still have a significantly higher score than me.

You bastards.

At least I'm still in the top 1% in Mathematics. All other forms of cognitive ability are negligable. *walks off in a huff*

Requiem wrote:Eh... I never did an IQ test, and then just a moment ago I did an online one which I doubt is all that reliable, but... *Shrugs* I got a 131

The online IQ tests, even the official ones, aren't all that accurate. I had to take mine in person, with a trained professional, for 6 hours (split into two days).

That said, all that means is that your true "score" (understanding how flimsy of a concept IQ really is) might be significantly lower OR higher.

Omicron Austin
Savior in Green

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:02 pm

Omicron Austin wrote:

If I recall, I shattered a test involving orienting red and white cubes into specific shapes and was super incredible at it, but I'm not too amazing at word association or something.

The Mensa exam was divided into sections (ten minutes for each), each on a different theme. So there were visualisations, logic puzzles, word associations etc. I blitzed the logic puzzles because I'm fairly good at them, but visualisations I really struggle with. Feel free to insert a women-and-maps joke. So the test grades you on different types of intelligence, then you get given two seperate scores for your different 'types' of IQ. One of mine was ridiculously higher than the other (top 1% whoo), but the whole thing averaged out as 140.

Omicron Austin wrote:
And related to your last comment, during my research, I came upon a book with a chapter called "Why Smart People Do Stupid Things," and it describes how narrow the focus is of IQ tests. They don't measure rationality, sensitivity to inconsistency, belief perseverance, or anything emotionally related.

No, no, I am quite legendary for my blonde moments. It's a long running joke amongst my friends that I'm the dumbest smart person they know Razz

Omicron Austin wrote:
Although in my opinion, it's partly a defense mechanism. You didn't need to say that last comment at all, but you still decided to. Why? If you stopped on the sentence beforehand, some of us (your peers) may perceive it to be arrogance or gloating, and you might not be as welcomed if you were "smarter than the rest of us". Out of a forum environment, you're going to subconsciously act "unintelligently" to try to fit in more effectively. I've been friends and have really only acquainted myself with gifted or intelligent people almost my whole life, and I see this happen with everybody, including myself. I make sure to stress to everybody how much I procrastinate, without mentioning the part that I'll still get an A later that semester.

Actually, tbh, I'd more put it down to me being English. It's very, very bad form to gloat about your own achievements, so you have to play down everything and make out it's nothing to be proud of so you won't seem arrogant. I never say I'm good at anything, and if I do I temper it with a negative comment. I'm sure I drive people mad with it, but it's instinctive. Watch two Englishmen have a compliments fight, it's amusing.

Going on with what Req and Ansem said about tests...most IQ tests are meaningless since they work on different scales. I've been ranged from 110-160 on online tests, for instance. For your actual score it's best to do a offical, recognised exam that works on a scientifically established scale.

EDIT: ninja'd by Omi Razz

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

FUUUUUUCKKKKK YOOOOOUUUUU

the one time I trust you with my back and you plant a dagger in it.

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Relmitos on Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:21 pm

Raya wrote: Watch two Englishmen have a compliments fight, it's amusing.

I saw this, and immediately thought of this, I find it amusing; the quality of that video sucks, but it gets the point across.

Relmitos
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Doctor Shulk on Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:50 pm

I did an IQ test on Newgrounds that gave me a 147...

...that doesn't count, right? Razz

(IQ tests aren't really a thing here. Huh.)

Doctor Shulk
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile http://gangreldorf.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Omicron Austin on Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:07 pm

Yeah.

Ironically, I'm going on about all of this, but a lot of my speech is about how non-conclusive IQ tests are and how many important facets of a person it doesn't measure.

When it comes down to it, they're useful for recognizing the people with mental disabilities that need extra help, and they're useful for recognizing "gifted" children at an early age to put them in a learning environment that helps them excel. Even then, there's a lot of environmental factors that can change an IQ score significantly (nature vs nurture, anyone?)

Beyond that, it doesn't guarantee success in a work or school environment, because dedication, focus, and various social skills will be a lot more beneficial than raw intelligence.

And I think I lack at least two of those.

Pineapple wrote:(IQ tests aren't really a thing here. Huh.)
They're not really a thing anywhere, come to think of it. They cost a lot of time and money to give/take, and aren't requirements for any sort of higher education. If you took any sort of aptitude tests for college entrance (like the ACT or SAT in America), it's essentially a psuedo-IQ test with a lot more cultural bias, and not actually measured on the traditional "IQ Scale". I was lucky that my school offered them to certain people, but a lot of public schools don't even have gifted programs to offer.

Omicron Austin
Savior in Green

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JGH27 on Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:15 pm

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/hammer_vs_hipster

JGH27
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheTJ on Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:50 am

So, I'm almost through the first season of Doctor Who.

It's amazing how many flubbed lines get through. Really. Especially during the Sensorite serial.

TheTJ
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JGH27 on Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:36 am

Igor: "Dutch has started editing some shit off his group on the message board.
specifically the thread where the one dude called you a peasant"

Me: what, someone called me a peasant?
Me: I don't recall posting on any message board of Dutch as far as I recall, could you give me the deets?

Apparently someone or some people have started burying me behind my back. Urge to kill...rising.

JGH27
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ansem on Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:59 am

Dutch as in, people from holland?

Ansem
Mustached Juggernaut

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JGH27 on Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:15 am

No, Dutch Mantell (I believe) who was a major player in wrestling years ago and created a group on facebook to preserve the history of the profession.

I never seen the comment and am waiting on the details. I think there's a few people currently trying to backstab me in the business.

EDIT: Apparently that comment was meant for somebody else. Bit of a relief.

JGH27
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SnakeInABox on Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:24 pm

If you want to get in the business, get used to the feeling.

I know Acting and Wrestling are two different things but.....

Actually, they aren't.

SnakeInABox
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JGH27 on Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:10 pm

SnakeInABox wrote:If you want to get in the business, get used to the feeling.

I know Acting and Wrestling are two different things but.....

Actually, they aren't.

Trust me, I know exactly the kind of politics I'm involved with. Doesn't mean I'm not gonna get pissed off if/when people try and ruin my character/work ethic.

Thankfully I seem to be ass kissing the right people right now/knowing my place in the pecking order.

JGH27
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Doctor Shulk on Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:58 am

I just saw The Lion King in 3D.

I love that movie. To be honest, the 3D added absolutely nothing to it, but hey, the tickets were free. Razz

Doctor Shulk
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile http://gangreldorf.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:52 pm

Y'know J, I'm rather surprised you got called a peasant. Seems rather...refined. Careful, make sure you don't get called a rapscallion or a scoundrel Razz

Oh, also, in case anyone's interested...tickets for Amecon 2012 are now on sale.

If...if any of you w-wanted to go or anything...just saying...[/tsundere]

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DarkFalco on Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:57 pm

Worked as an usher last night and saw my ex....awkwardness ensued with me trying to converse a bit teasingly asking him if he should be wearing all black (he was the main stagehand) and him just replying that he would be. Then just saw him working on stage a lot before the show...then after he was walking to his car at the exact time as me and I managed to squeak out a "the set was great" as he left (he helped build them) he just said thanks as he got in his car and left... Mer Soooo awkward >.<

DarkFalco
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/jessica.ninness?ref=profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SonGopaul on Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:59 pm

Raya wrote:Oh, also, in case anyone's interested...tickets for Amecon 2012 are now on sale.

If...if any of you w-wanted to go or anything...just saying...[/tsundere]

OH. MY. GOOOOOOOOOODDDDDD!!!!

So going. As you probably guessed. Although first I've got October Expo, Kitacon 4, May Expo... then AMECON!!!

Looking forward to seeing peeps there (or in the other events mentioned if you go).

SonGopaul
Cannibal Suspect

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JGH27 on Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:40 pm

http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=510526&page=6

I've been added into a text based wrestling game...I find this kinda cool.

JGH27
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fedaykin on Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:24 am

nuff said Razz

Fedaykin
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:06 pm

You know your car's dirty when you take it to a carwash, request the basic wash and the guy looks at you incredulously and says "Is that it?!"

In other news I am not impressed in the slightest. Was making dinner earlier, glanced out the window and saw a rat run straight across the garden. A huge, fat, Rattus norvegicus that decided to stop right at the fence, just so I could be sure it was indeed an enormous rat, then bolted under the bushes.

Not impressed at ALL.

Don't get me wrong, I like rats and would love to have some as pets, but I don't appreciate wild vermin in my back garden. I'm probably going to have to kill the guy, which I feel very bad about because the poor chap is only trying to live its life. However, I don't fancy it getting into the house and chewing the wiring, also leptospirosis and ratbite fever suck. I really don't know what's more humane though, traps or poison. I don't want to do either, but since rats can gnaw through concrete I don't think there's a non-lethal way to trap it.

That or I need to buy a terrier, either way.

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Relmitos on Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:12 pm

I'd say probably the trap as I'd think it would be more instantaneous then poison, poison tends to mean a slow, gradual decay until it dies off. That's what I think anyways. And your sure there's no way to trap it to relocate it?

Relmitos
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:38 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 39 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top