Zombie Thread

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Zombie Thread

Post  Requiem on Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:38 pm

It's been brought up enough times, so I figured, why not make a thread just dedicated to explaining zombie survival plans and the like.

I for instance am pro movement.

Pros

Preparedness: Moving around from place to place keeps you on your toes.
Evasive Maneuvers: Enables you to avoid larger groups of the undead. A large crowd can still do a lot of damage to buildings, and if you're bunkered down, any undead that break through are potentially 'Game Over' scenarios.
Small Town Supplies: Allows for the access of small town shops (Around here for instance, we have a lot of pawn shops, and a lot of people pawn their guns. We also have access to a good deal of gas stations which carry bottled water and canned food.)

Cons

Gasoline: While I'm not particularly sure, I believe that most gas pumps are run electrically. If that's the case, aquiring gas to power vehicles would become much more difficult, as the odds are high that all power companies would crash.
Road Obstructions: Depending on situations, roads may become impassable(Sp?), making travel rougher.
Breakdowns: Even the newest models of vehicles break down, and being able to repair, or replace vehicles while in safe locations would prove difficult.

On the other hand, locking yourself up also has it's own benefits (I'm only listing a few on these too as I'm fairly lazy, and rather tired)

Pros

Structure: Assuming you have any level of sense, you would avoid buildings with large glass doors. That said, malls and other such super-store like places would be very impractical. On the other hand, larger buildings, such as Factories provide excellent defensive structures which are more difficult to infiltrate due to their generally heavier doors and minimal windows.
Stockpiling: It's easier to store food supplies and water supplies in enclosed spaces rather than tote them around.
Something Else: Yeah... I'm having a hard time coming up with a third pro here :/

Cons

Disease: If anybody gets sick with any sort of disease, then it's very likely that EVERYBODY is going to get sick, confined spaces and all that.
Power: As stated before, electricity will likely be turned off. That includes water and heat, so surviving the winters could be problematic, and using the 'facilities' would very quickly become problematic. Generators can cover for this, but only partially as gasoline does spoil after time, and stockpiling it is more difficult than it sounds.
Psychological Issues: Stress from being locked in a small space, while knowing that the only thing that is keeping you alive is a foot (If that) of wall can cause serious psychological trauma, causing some people to snap. These people pose a threat to anybody else within the building, and to themselves. Should such individuals be noted, their presence will also deteriorate morale, and cause further strain and issues on people. This issue applies also to those who travel, but on a lesser scale, as those who no longer wish to travel in a group have many safe opportunities to leave.

Also, it should be noted that I live in a small town, so traveling is a far safer option for me anyway.
It should also be noted that these zombies that I'm referring to fall under the kind that naturally mass together. Those that do not would make survival odds of both types of styles dramatically increase.
The final note I have to make is that I did not account for animal zombies, simply because if they would occur, everybody would be screwed, without a doubt.

Requiem
Savior in Green

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Zombie Thread

Post  Ansem on Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:52 pm

Let's not forget the biggest threat in these kind of things: Other survivors.

Don't forget those in your calculations. You'll never be alone.

Ansem
Mustached Juggernaut

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Quaetam on Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:59 pm

Req, you also forgot the sheer degree of uncertainty involved in wandering, searching for supplies. And I'd change preparadness to alertness: You're certainly more prepared in an isolated, well fortified stronghold than you are wandering.

Quaetam
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Requiem on Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:04 pm

All calculations made assumptions of other survivors being present. Generally speaking, extra survivors within locked spaces are negative, while on the road they are generally assets, as most will understand that working in groups is safer than working alone. Exclusion to this rule being Raiders (Every post apocalyptic world has them, I mean c'mon!) who are by all rights negatives for all, excluding if you're capable of killing them, then picking through whatever loot they might have is good (Just don't become a Raider yourself, nobody likes Raiders.)

Q, what I mean by preparedness is the natural and constant fear that no matter where you go, you will come acrossed something that's going to kill you. If you're in a place that you consider secure, you'll begin to either feel safe, or start to get really edgey. Safe is the more common response, and when people feel safe, they become complacent, soft. They lose whatever edge they may have had. Thus they are less prepared than those who otherwise were ready to be attacked.

Also, if you have a general area mapped out that you know, making roving sweeps tends to be efficient. Zombies (So far as I know) don't repopulate once an area's living have been decimated. Go through a town and burn out a few undead, grab some supplies, and crash out away from civilization for a while, when supplies reach a certain point, move onto the next town, repeat the process. I'll admit that it isn't a perfect system, but it's a roughly efficient one.

Last edited by Requiem on Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Requiem
Savior in Green

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DRTJR on Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:08 pm

I am more of a base kind of survivor guy;
You and your collection of friends figure out your collective skill sets, whether it be metallurgy, sharpshooting, management, physiological, farming, ect. then you have your more Combat focused survivors practice running around in full plate[If available] and use in swords or other melee. you then try to build a safe area to farm so you do not run out of food.

DRTJR
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ansem on Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:14 pm

WRONG WRONG WRONG

WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG

YOU'RE WRONG

WRONG......

Ansem
Mustached Juggernaut

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Requiem on Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:17 pm

DRTJR Died. He survived for 3 Days 7 Hours And 36 Minutes. Caught Trying To Steal Plate Armor From A Museum. Death was not pleasant.

Requiem
Savior in Green

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TD260 on Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:43 pm

If you want armor, go for shark suits. Lighter than plate, easier to get than plate, and if a shark can't bite through it, neither can a human. I'll post a more detailed list of stuff when I get home.

TD260
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SonGopaul on Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:26 pm

Zombie Plans, eh?

Mine was to grab my wooden swords as protection, and fight my way to the supermarket for supplies. My next stop would be the nearest weapons shop, where I would arm up and continue on. Then I would head to the army barracks to find help. Yeah, my town's pretty useful when it comes to a situation like this.

SonGopaul
Cannibal Suspect

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vivienne Vex on Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:38 pm

Swords and plat armor.....No,
1.swords are crap vs zombies, you need to cut off their head to bash their head in. And getting a good angle with the right amount of power to cut off someones head takes way to much time and you need to get it just right when you are running through a crowd of zombies. Not going to happen.

2. The plate armor is going to make you tired fast, and depending on where you are. It is very bad. If you are in a hot place you can get heat stroke faster and if you are in a cold place. Your sweat will make it even colder for you increasing the chance that you get sick.

"Just don't become a Raider yourself, nobody likes Raiders."

I agree unless we really need what they have and are not willing to share/join or if they are a small group of raiders themselves. As I said in the Skype chat, most of the time you will have to be a cold hearted bastard to survive. So if I have to raid for supplies for my group to survive then I will be all for it. As long as it does not put us in more danger then it is worth.

In a zombie infested world it will be kill or be killed.

@Son: Then you either get shot because people there want the weapons for themselves or there will be no weapons left. Unless of course it is not known that there are zombies, in which case that should be fine.

Vivienne Vex
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  .. on Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:56 pm

I would be the type of person that would camp out.

I would probably head down to Lafayette, AL where my cousins and aunt live. They have a nice house you can board up. Attic, Basement, An elevated porch, plenty of room. They also live on a dairy farm, nowhere near a mass amount of people. Problem would most likely be along the lines of running out of supplies. But when you have to move, you have to move. I figure for a while if we had to we would just raid dumpy ass towns.

OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheTJ on Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:48 pm

I noticed that Reqs pros and cons for moving around all dealt with the neccesities of survival while the fortress method seemed more concerned with the reality of living in confined spaces. You know what that says to me? Being on the move you're most concerned about actually surviving. Being in a fortress you're most concerned with cabin fever, surviving seemingly taken care of.

Interesting, isn't it?

TheTJ
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  .. on Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:54 pm

Ideally if you are going to Fortress up, have other people to Fortress up with. Also, have a place that isn't so cramped and small.

OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vivienne Vex on Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:11 pm

That would be Reqs mindset, you will have to worry about surviving which involved planning ahead. As if it gets surrounded with no way out, and what supplies you have left (Actually realistic and not Rayas idea where she finds years worth of supplies. Razz) that is the same as death. Only difference between surviving, is that the people in the building will die later if they fuck up. While people traveling will die when/around the time they fuck up. With that said, just because you are in a building dose not mean surviving is taken care of.

Vivienne Vex
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Requiem on Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:18 pm

The reality of living in confined spaces provides the same issues as the necessities of survival. Take for instance, if somebody dies in your group of say... falling from a high place and breaking their neck. In an open environment, the body can be left behind, but in a closed space, the only real way to be rid of the body would be to open a window or other such thing, thus opening a point for the undead to break in. If the body is left, it will bloat, rot, and overall be just nasty, and those living in the building will have to deal with it causing greater strains on the group.

Requiem
Savior in Green

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DRTJR on Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:50 pm

Not one, not two, but THREE of my friends forge swords and armor for shits and giggles and go to pensington[I think that is how spelled, It's where a bunch of people meet in a field and have a mock meddevil battle complete with accurate armor, Balsitas, ect.]. so who said I would go Museum raiding. Also ammunition is finite, unless you can produce gunpowder. Humans to my knowledge can not bite through steel so You can survive a massive bum rush of zombies. Also The use of both blade and Gun would be adventitious so that you can still effectively fight when you need to reload but have a zombie approaching faster than you can load six bullets. Of coarse I'm the kind of guy who would try to resuscitate the TANK in front of the VFW building because that would be PERFECT for sleeping quarters in a city environment.

Also My dream team is all locals from here in Sarasota.

DRTJR
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Weldar on Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:55 pm

So thinking about my location more. As I've previously emntioned I don't have a gun, I don't know anyone who does and I'm not sure I've even seen a gun here in my lifetime. The things clearly aren't common around here. Since I'm likely to be among the first wave to be killed by zombies this works out quite nicely in my favour, once I'm infected and come back less people with firearms means more easy food. So I guess my plan is stick around here, die and then look for some tasty brains, sounds good to me.

I'm not a Vacuum!
[quote="Quaetman"]
There was a flash of lightning, and the figure’s visage was illuminated for a moment, a single, terrifying moment, a revelation that seemed to stop the world dead.

“Checkmate,” said Weldar, and fired his bullet into JGH27’s heart.
[/quote][quote="King Avalanche"] I doubt any of our craniums will come out of this game a virgin cause Weldar is gonna fuck them all.[/quote]

Weldar
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DRTJR on Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:23 pm

what kind of Zombies are we dealing with because I'm operating under the dawn of the dead type zombies.

DRTJR
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vivienne Vex on Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:34 pm

DRTJR wrote:Not one, not two, but THREE of my friends forge swords and armor for shits and giggles and go to pensington[I think that is how spelled, It's where a bunch of people meet in a field and have a mock meddevil battle complete with accurate armor, Balsitas, ect.]. so who said I would go Museum raiding. Also ammunition is finite, unless you can produce gunpowder. Humans to my knowledge can not bite through steel so You can survive a massive bum rush of zombies. Also The use of both blade and Gun would be adventitious so that you can still effectively fight when you need to reload but have a zombie approaching faster than you can load six bullets. Of coarse I'm the kind of guy who would try to resuscitate the TANK in front of the VFW building because that would be PERFECT for sleeping quarters in a city environment.

Also My dream team is all locals from here in Sarasota.

Again, fighting zombies with swords dose not work, stabbing them will do nothing, you need to bash their head in. And if you pick to stay in the city. You are dead no matter what. First rule of zombies, GET. OUT. OF. CITIES.

2nd: you are going to have on armor the entire time(as you will not have time to put on armor if they somehow get in by surprise)....that will not work, even more so when you need more water and food due to the energy you used to carry around and fight with swords in the armor. In Florida which is already hot.

And dawn of the dad, the ones where they learn how to use weapons. Trust me, if they learn how to use weapons they can learn how to get past armor which would be of course by bashing it with the weapons they have.

Vivienne Vex
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DRTJR on Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:00 pm

I LOVE THE HEAT, I'm weird like that.

any way I mean the 1978 version(The good one) where their lumbering and stupid but have vast numbers. Again Operating of the 1978 version Florida would be a pretty safe place since the interred would have a foot of concrete around their casket, and only Morgs, funeral homes, and hospitals would see the sudden rise of the dead. of which their only surface side for max three days before their put into the ground, But Sarasota isn't that large of a city and it has a lot of wide open areas that would be easy to drive a tank through, Guns are somewhat prevalent and will more than likely be used, and the police would more than likely be able to deal with the Zombies since (Running on the 1978 Dawn of the Dead rules) they would be slow lumbering monsters and easy targets. So the vast majority of zombies would be migrants from Georgia and Alabama.

DRTJR
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nn8n on Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:39 pm

There are people saying that swords would be ineffective, but who's to say that any guns or ammo is going to be any effective either? Most standard bullets will put a hole in vessels that causes it to bleed but as a zombie they don't have to have those kind of functions to even move. You'd have to have rounds that really shred at the tissues to cause major damage to the tendons or fibers that would keep them moving, and those kind of rounds are very rare and scarce that will run out very quickly or be a target for those wandering raiders.

I really think the movie/game types where you just hit them enough will cause them to just kinda fall and stop moving is way out of reality. Those older movies where when the hand is cut off and it still uses the fingers to keep crawling towards you those bullets aren't stopping parts like that...

I personally think the only thing that truly would cause them to totally stop is fire...burn them until there isn't enough left to move. Unless then they just become skeletons? But then you are left there avoiding burning zombies until they stop and I don't know there just doesn't seem much to do after that.

To say what side I'm on for the whole stay put vice roaming is probably what others say about getting out to where things are remote and move every so often after seeing an increase in numbers. Just kinda go on the fly, but I know I am defiantly not for staying into some bunker cause once anything were to go wrong you get trapped into the place you so trusted to keep you safe.

nn8n
Wario's Bodyguard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vivienne Vex on Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:08 pm

When people say using guns they mean shooting them in the head.

Vivienne Vex
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fedaykin on Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:28 am

And why would a Zombie give a fuck about a hole in the head? THEY ARE ALREADY DEAD.

We are talking about reanimated corpses, right? From a logical viewpoint, they wouldn't even be able to move, because the muscles would be useless after the rigor mortis ended. The stuff that keeps your muscles going is digested by bacteria. And anyway, why would the zombies be a threat to us? Every damn critter would be there, EATING THEM.

So safest bet: sit it out, untl the rats and crows are done feasting. If we then have to worry about Zombie rats, well, purge the streets with flamethrowers.

Fedaykin
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheTJ on Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:57 am

One argument I love against fire vs. zombies is this: "Okay, so there's a creature who wouldn't even flinch if you tore it's arm off or drilled a giant hole in it's stomach, why do you think it'll care if it's on fire? Now instead of a wall of zombies, you have a wall of FIRE-ZOMBIES!"

And Viero, look. If zombies can starve, waiting it out with SOME supplies will be fine. Right now, this very second, in my house I have enough food to last me and my family at least two weeks, how long before MOST zombies stop catching humans every day? I give it two to three days before anybody living either holed up or skipped town. Three days in and the zombies lose their food source. Meanwhile, I can enjoy what I have so at home right now and by the time I start running low the zombies will be dropping from starvation.

Now before you say zombies don't need to eat let me counter with "Why do they eat people?" Not bite, I can understand propogation, no. In many instances zombies will eat a person to the point where they are TOO eaten to come back as a zombie (I still really wish I knew where that line was) The only reason is because they need the energy to shamble around. Take it away and eventually they'll stop.

I don't care too much if my building gets surrounded as long as I don't have to leave anytime soon. And like you said, if we mess up and don't have enough supplies then we die some time later, and if you mess up on the run you die instantly. If I had to choose between the two I'd pick the former because that at least gives me the opportunity to fix things.

TheTJ
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vivienne Vex on Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:32 am

Fedaykin wrote:And why would a Zombie give a fuck about a hole in the head? THEY ARE ALREADY DEAD.

Do your homework fed, the way to kill zombies are to remove the head or destroy the brain. It has always been like that. and always will

Fire will eventually burn them until they will be unable to move and die again.

2 weeks of food will not be enough to last the entire zombie invasion and even if it is the kind that need food (I am going by the ones that do not as they are already dead.) They can survive much longer as you as only their brain is working (which is why you hit them in the head Fed) so they save a huge amount of energy compared to a person who has a entire body to keep up. They would be able to wait you out first if you only have 2 weeks of food and are surrounded.

Vivienne Vex
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:02 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top