Zombie Thread

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Zombie Thread

Post  Requiem on Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:47 am

In this regard, I am conflicted. It is true that Zombies tend to devour their victims, yet at the same time any movie, book, or gaming evidence seems to show that they can survive indefinately without a food supply. My belief is that they are drawn by their primal survival instincts from life, one of the main ones being the need for food. Even if an undead's body cannot process the meal, it may still seek to fulfill it's primal urge. Thus explaining why zombie headshots are important (At least in my perspective).

Also, I'm going to assume that rigor mortis is counteracted by the disease itself, keeping the body from stiffening up. To assume that no other part of the body functions beyond the brain would be silly though Vie. Muscles and the like all require energy as well, and expend quite a bit of it.

Requiem
Savior in Green

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nn8n on Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:48 am

I think Resident Evil said it that even though they don't need food, in every animal their basic need that is hardwired into everything is to eat. Even if they don't need to, they just will cause it's a basic animalistic need. A starving child in Africa gets adopted and moved to the states, he sees his first full table of food and starts stuffing as much as he can into it until he's almost puking there isn't any room left in his stomach cause he's on survival mode thinking he should get as much as he can because he believes that there might not be any later.

I know I was ninja'd but I didn't feel like retyping...

nn8n
Wario's Bodyguard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fedaykin on Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:45 am

Viero wrote:
Fedaykin wrote:And why would a Zombie give a fuck about a hole in the head? THEY ARE ALREADY DEAD.

Do your homework fed, the way to kill zombies are to remove the head or destroy the brain. It has always been like that. and always will

Please excuse me, but have you seen Return of the Living Dead? In the very first scene, a Zombie gets a pickaxe in the forehead. He continues giving not a single fuck. Also, as you appear to have a Master's degree in Zombiology, a field wildy known to be down to earth, proven by real life multiple times and not imaginary at all, what abilities do Zombies posses? What kind of corpse rises up?

Fedaykin
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Perry on Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:53 am

Viero wrote:
Fedaykin wrote:And why would a Zombie give a fuck about a hole in the head? THEY ARE ALREADY DEAD.

Do your homework fed, the way to kill zombies are to remove the head or destroy the brain. It has always been like that. and always will

I'm sorry, but i think that what fed was referring to wasn't removing a head or destroying a brain, but having a hole in the head.
At which he is correct, as there are always plenty of zombies with headtraumas walking around and about in whatever movie/book.

The science in removing the zombies head is to remove the part of the brain that controls the body from the body, so the zombie is rendered harmless.
Usually this happens with excessive headtrauma, but a hole in the head does not always cover this. So in technicality, Fed was correct.

Oh, and you're an ass for acting like he doesn't know shit about zombies and saying he needs to "do his homework".

Perry
Savior in Green

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheTJ on Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:46 am

I'm sorry, but I simply cannot belive zombies don't need food. Almost EVERY zombie movie says it's some kind of virus or infection, maybe radiation from space, and that means it's affecting the body on a physical level. Zombies move around which means they are expending energy by walking, standing, and breathing (Don't let Land of the Dead fool you, zombies would still need to breathe, although admittadly they could probably hold their breath for a long time). If they are expending energy (They TOTALLY are) then they need a fuel sorce, which is given to us by the way they eat humans. They couldn't be getting energy from the parasite/infection/radiation because whatever is making them a zombie is keeping itself alive by hi-jacking their system. Now, depending on the movie zombies MAY eat animals too, which would seriously hurt your odds of waiting it out, but fortunately these movies are in the minority and most zombies are strictly cannibals. So since zombies DO expend energy, and in most cases their only source of fuel is humans, taking that away they will eventually waste away.

It's easier if you think of the body as a machine plugged into the wall that you usually opperate. It has a bit of a charge once unplugged, but not much of one. One day, this dude named zombie shows up and pushes you out of the way and takes control of your body machine. You then unplug it and Mr. Zombie just sits at the controls operating it until all the power runs out. It doesn't matter if the thing controlling the machine is supernatural or not, take away the power and it shuts down.

...The only exception to this may be one where zombies are created by a curse or spell, but come on. We ALL know no one here is thinking about those situations.

TheTJ
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vivian Vex on Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:01 am

Let's say bananas. wrote:

I'm sorry, but i think that what fed was referring to wasn't removing a head or destroying a brain, but having a hole in the head.
At which he is correct,
Usually this happens with excessive headtrauma, but a hole in the head does not always cover this. So in technicality, Fed was correct.

Oh, and you're an ass for acting like he doesn't know shit about zombies and saying he needs to "do his homework".

ya a zombie can have a hole in his head. But A hole in the head caused by a bullet would enter the brain and destroy it.

And yes, I was a bit harsh and for that I am sorry Fed. I just really got into this and I tend to take things a bit far when that happens and when I realize I take it too far in most cases it is usually too late.

Vivian Vex
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:39 pm

Keep it civil guys, otherwise this thread is getting locked.

There's no 'proper' rules for a zombie as the modern incarnation of them has only been around for 40 years. Unlike vampires or Frankenstein's monsters there's no piece of work that sets down how they should work (as much as Max Brooks wishes otherwise), so the only canon is that they're dead and eat human flesh. Everything else is down to personal interpretation. Besides, zombies evolve to be an outlet for society's current fears, hence why nowadays it's always about viruses and individualism vs the masses. That and it's an excuse to kill people without being labelled as a serial killer.

My own interpretation, which I'm using for my Plan Z, is that the virus/parasite/whatever seizes control of the reptile brain. The base instincts are there- feeding and moving- but no higher though processes. The shambling is due to lack of fine motor control and rotting muscles. There's still some human instinct, like being in a group, but only the bare minimum.

Viero wrote: (Actually realistic and not Rayas idea where she finds years worth of supplies. Razz)

I don't think you quite understand how small and crowded England actually is. There's a massive supermarket 2 minutes away from my house and another 5 within a 10 minute drive. If my group bunkered down in either of them we'd have enough food for well over 2 years in just that one place. Within a mile radius of where I plan to hide out there's approximately 900 houses, each with tinned food in their kitchens, and that's not counting the local stores, restaurants and other businesses. There's also the law that states local councils have to provide land for allotments so every settlement has at least an acre if not more of them. Yeah, supplies aren't an issue in the slightest.

Staying put I think is the best thing to do. If you move around you're at a terrible disadvantage- you don't know the terrain, the escape routes or the local situation. You have to live hand-to-mouth since you can't carry around lots of supplies with you. Movement increases the risk of detection and if you're spotted by the zombies there's a chance of injury or death. It's a psychological strain as you're constantly worried about having enough food/clean water/ammo/petrol, and since you don't know the local situation you'll never be able to sleep properly as you can never be sure if you're secure. By moving around you're exposing yourself to a lot more danger.

They'll also be some serious situations to deal with. Let's say in our respective groups Snake and Avalanche fall ill. They break their leg or contract a disease or become feverish. Whatever the reason they're badly sick and will be unable to move for several weeks. In our fortress Av can be kept safe and warm, constantly looked after, well fed and watered, medicated from the supplies and will be able to be nursed back to health. With you and Snake you're stuck where the accident happened. You'll need to take him somewhere safe, risking further injury through moving him. You'll have to hunt for medicine and enough food/clean water to treat him. You'll have to constantly keep moving him (as your entire strategy relies on doing so) which will slow you down, put you all at risk and may very well kill him. So do you leave him behind for the benefit of all or stick with him and put everyone's lives in danger?

Moving may be good in the first few days, but in the long run staying put is the safer option.

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

FUUUUUUCKKKKK YOOOOOUUUUU

the one time I trust you with my back and you plant a dagger in it.

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Avalanche on Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:48 pm

Why am I always the one to get sick, break a leg, etc Razz

Avalanche
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:01 pm

King Avalanche wrote:Why am I always the one to get sick, break a leg, etc Razz

Remember that Organ Trail game? In mine you broke both your legs, an arm, had dysentery twice, got bitten three times and still managed to survive and get to the end!

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Avalanche on Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:03 pm

Raya wrote:
King Avalanche wrote:Why am I always the one to get sick, break a leg, etc Razz

Remember that Organ Trail game? In mine you broke both your legs, an arm, had dysentery twice, got bitten three times and still managed to survive and get to the end!

Wauw. I'm such a survivor Razz

Avalanche
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Requiem on Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:07 pm

When it comes to being unfamiliar with an area... Well, I know the general area around here, within the space of several towns and such, but that's because I live in a more rural area. In a city, movement is confined to tighter spaces with higher populations that make it more difficult, but out in the country, there's plenty of open landscape. As for sickness, a logical person would keep a first aid kit or two around, and I'm the kind of person who would be using a truck with a topper on the back, so injured people would likely be placed in there, thus enabling movement without risking further injury. Also note that a truck can hold about two weeks worth of supplies with little trouble, and that's assuming you have a mattress in the back of one. If you don't have one, or if there are two trucks for instance, the amount of supplies carried can drastically be increased, especially with a topper as you don't have to worry about things falling out. Again, the biggest issue for any situation is going to be electricity, the ability to access gasoline for movers, and heating and plumbing for those who lock down.

On the other hand Raya, what do you do if a person gets sick in a building? Are you going to quarantine the person so that everybody else doesn't get sick too? It doesn't take much for most things to pass from person to person after all. It's true that supplies would be easier to stockpile, but what would you do if you do run out of medical supplies? Odds are that your building would be surrounded (As is typical in zombie situations) so you can't just stroll out and head to the nearest store.

Also, out of curiousity, how do you all see zombies as functioning in regards to hunting senses?

Personally I believe it's mostly scent and hearing oriented with sight becoming a lesser quality if not losing all function (Zombies don't seem to be too bothered if their eyes are missing after all). I doubt that the undead would be able to see inside buildings to know that there are people there, so there's got to be some reason that they all suddenly know that there's a building that has living people inside.

Requiem
Savior in Green

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:50 pm

Load of good points there Req.

Requiem wrote:As for sickness, a logical person would keep a first aid kit or two around, and I'm the kind of person who would be using a truck with a topper on the back, so injured people would likely be placed in there, thus enabling movement without risking further injury.

A first aid kit is just that: initial aid to keep a person stable until professional help arrives. It won't treat or cure serious injuries, just stop them worsening until proper treatment can be administered. You can bandage a serious wound all you want, it won't do shit unless you clean and sew it up. Plus even lying in the back of a truck the injured person is still going to get jostled around, which would be extremely bad if they're bleeding out or they've broken something.

Another problem with the trucks is driving them. The apocalypse has happened, the roads aren't going to be clear. What's going to happen if you're escaping to safety and find the way blocked by a traffic jam of abandoned cars? You'll have to offroad, but offroad vehicles are not comfy or spacious in the slightest. And you better hope you don't break down in the middle of nowhere.

Requiem wrote:On the other hand Raya, what do you do if a person gets sick in a building? Are you going to quarantine the person so that everybody else doesn't get sick too? It doesn't take much for most things to pass from person to person after all. It's true that supplies would be easier to stockpile, but what would you do if you do run out of medical supplies? Odds are that your building would be surrounded (As is typical in zombie situations) so you can't just stroll out and head to the nearest store.

I suppose it depends on the illness. Being locked away from other survivors means we'd be unlikely to get exposed to serious contagious diseases, and we're young and healthy enough to shrug off commons ones such as flu. We'd probably get a lot of colds Razz Medical supplies again shouldn't be too hard to find; supermarkets have pharmacies in them, plus the aforementioned houses will have medicine cupboards. Going further afield there's the doctor's surgeries and health clinics.

If all goes to plan the building won't be surrounded. By staying low the zombies won't be aware of us (they'll be off chasing the people staying on the move Razz), so once the initial panic has died down it's a case of fortifying your surroundings. The place I intend to go is on top of a massive hill, half of which is sheer cliff face, the only other way up a narrow road. If the bottom of the road is blocked off we should be out of sight, so we just need to stay quiet. Also, since we only need to stay put until the spring (the winter will destroy the zombies), if someone does manage to fuck up and draw the horde to us we should hopefully have medical supplies enough to last us a few months. Me being a careful planner I think I'd make sure of it ^^

Also, out of curiousity, how do you all see zombies as functioning in regards to hunting senses?

I agree with you, scent and hearing and following the crowd. If one zombie notices you the others follow their lead.

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TD260 on Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:24 pm

I studied this over the summer. Guy named Max Brooks wrote a book on it.

TD260
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Perry on Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:38 pm

Viero wrote:ya a zombie can have a hole in his head. But A hole in the head caused by a bullet would enter the brain and destroy it.

Just an FYI, people got stakes shot through their skulls, tearing away part of their brain and the thing landed few feet further away.
A known example, roy can verify, is Phineas Gage, who got into a work accident and got drilled through the head but survived.

I also personally know a girl that has had a similiar story, her 'emotional restraints' area being damaged by a radio-antenna in a car crash.
So "ya", a bullet might not even do the trick D:

(apologies for derailing this constantly. I just like these stories)

Also, my addition to this discussion, though i don't know who said they weren't but....
Swords are awesome. They're still metal/heavy so they can just as easily be used for smashing, but the edge gives it multi-purpose. For menial tasks, but it's also perfect for cutting tendons and muscles and preventing further movement.
(sword fanboy~)

Perry
Savior in Green

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:41 pm

Let's say bananas. wrote:So "ya", a bullet might not even do the trick D:
A second one would finish it off for sure then.

Steam: smashbro815
3DS/Pokemon X&Y: 1048-8610-9932
"I wish I had a magical spaceship made of yellow ideas that could go in space with like a tiger wearing a purple flower, and everything would be colored happyness:)" - SurgePox
"All Pokemon are just Ditto anyway" - Raya
"Krystal's Ok. But what about Umbreon. Now thats a sexy Pokemon, like a sports car." - Dismal

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Perry on Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:46 pm

Rule #2, the double tap.

Perry
Savior in Green

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  .. on Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:56 pm

This reminds me of an old forum game I participated in over that the Pure Pwnage forums.

Spoiler:
Pretty much there this template picture.

Fill it up with pictures or words, it doesn't have to be realistic, it can be crazy or creative. For example mine is:

Or you guys can continue debates on Zombie Survival. Doesn't matter to me, just thought I'd mention something that could be fun.

OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nn8n on Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:24 pm

Awesome Outlaw! When I get a chance later I'm going to try my own!

Spoiler:
Did a mock one for the ones that are talking about actual hunting!

Then for the Ladies!

Might as well enjoy yourself until they can overtake a ship then what are the odds they make it to an isolated island?

nn8n
Wario's Bodyguard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Requiem on Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:32 pm

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Requiem
Savior in Green

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TD260 on Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:57 pm

Is the laughter because by necroposting here he made the Zombie Thread a Zombie itself?

TD260
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Requiem on Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:04 pm

Partially, but it was mostly because it was being discussed in skype. It's officially ironic because Q checked it and then complained about hoping for real content, and further ironic for your point. This is an awesome win for me

Requiem
Savior in Green

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Quaetam on Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:19 pm

I wasn't complaining, I was actually complimenting you on what I thought was a clever trolling job. Thought that was kinda clear.

Quaetam
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nn8n on Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:39 pm

Ironically enough it was my dismay at this topic dying after I made my post that sparked me to create the "Topic Killer" topic...just...throwing that out there.

nn8n
Wario's Bodyguard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Requiem on Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:42 pm

Either way, still a win for me. As for topic killling, I never really expected this thread to be a massive success. Kind of a passing thing

Requiem
Savior in Green

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Relmitos on Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:13 pm

I find this topic to be relevant; http://therewillbebrawl.forumotion.net/t276-major-jeopardy

It's a shame that game ended as abruptly as it did.

Relmitos
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:31 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top