Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon

Post  Raya on Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:46 pm

I've recently completed this game and I can safely say this is one of the best games on the Wii. Certainly my favourite. And thus it deserves a thread of its own!

Seto is 15 years old and last summer he buried the man he called his grandfather, the only other person he has ever known. Mankind mysteriously vanished years ago and the world stands empty, the silent ruins crumbling and overgrown. Seto goes out into the world, following the old man's wish for him to head towards the distant Tokyo Tower and search for other survivors. But the ruins are filled with ghosts and worse, and in his desperate wish to not be alone Seto may just learnt what happened to mankind...

I've heard this game described as not being a game but an experience, and it's true. It's incredibly atmospheric since you're wandering round post-apocalyptic locations in the dark armed with a torch. There's very little music and the whole thing is incredibly eerie. Locations include a hotel, an underground shopping mall and, yes, a theme park. And the ghosts, arrrgh. You hear them before you see them, so with the speaker on the Wiimote you can generally determine where they're lurking. I don't think a game has made me NOPE so hard in my life. First time I heard a hellhound I ran screaming like a girl in the opposite direction.

But it's the human drama at the centre of it all that makes the game. The whole theme is one of desperate loneliness. Seto is truely alone in the world. Everyone he meets he loses again, and all the time he's chasing what might as well be a phantom. He even screams at the Big Bad at the end he just doesn't want to be alone anymore. Even though there's precious few characters the game is just an experience in humanity. You can collect items in the game which contain the memories of those that owned them, gradually piecing together their stories. They range from eerie, as a lot relate to why mankind has vanished (some becoming quite horrific once you learn the truth), to poignant and heartbreaking.

A lot of things are left up to the player's interpretation, allowing you to draw your own conclusions. It's not a game where all the loose ends are tied up neatly. But I think this is one of its strengths. A lot goes unanswered, which ties in with the themes of loss, and also gives a great deal of fridge horror in hindsight...

In short this game is magnificent. It's haunting, heartbreaking, creepy as all hell and will stay with you long after you've completed it. I certainly couldn't stop thinking about it. There are a few problems granted- combat isn't brilliant, some parts are a bit tedious (I'm looking at you never ending corridor), but all in all I couldn't recommend this game more highly.

I'm hoping there's someone more than Chronicle out there who's played it...

Here's the opening of the game. Try and avoid the English trailer if you go looking, it stupidly has some rather large spoilers in it:

Last edited by Raya on Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

FUUUUUUCKKKKK YOOOOOUUUUU

the one time I trust you with my back and you plant a dagger in it.

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon

Post  Chronicle on Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:14 pm

I, like you, hope to find more fans of this series. They're out there, though the fanbase itself is small.

Chronicle
Feral Mercenary

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheTJ on Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:31 pm

Tell you what, might try it out soon if it's still at the store next week.

TheTJ
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheTJ on Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:24 am

Haha, PF is the best computer ever.

PF: "When there is an object on the ground, fireflies will gather near it."
Seto: "Uhh... Why?
PF: "It may be... because... it is summer... Perhaps?"

Seriously, at this point Seto is more or less a blank wall to project onto (That sounds like Micheal Cera) but PF is always fun to listen to.

Also, Raya is right (wherever she said it) those wall hands are super creepy.

TheTJ
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:46 pm

Glad you're enjoying it TJ! Keep us informed as you progress, I'm sure Chronicle and I will love your reactions to certain plot revelations and discoveries, heh.

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

FUUUUUUCKKKKK YOOOOOUUUUU

the one time I trust you with my back and you plant a dagger in it.

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:17 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top