Mafia 17: Dark Before The Dawn- Night 10- FINALE

Page 20 of 21 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Mafia 17: Dark Before The Dawn- Night 10- FINALE

Post  Raya on Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:07 pm

TD260 steadily climbed up the hill. His weariness and exhaustion had dulled, faded past his sense of awareness. All he focused on was what lay ahead, what was waiting for him at the summit. The wind rattled the scree around him, but aside from that there was no sound. Silence was all around. It was as if the entire world was watching him with baited breath, waiting to learn of the outcome. And, in a way, it was; it was their reactions, here tonight, that would determine its fate.

He reached the summit. The tor was open and featureless, ragged grasses clinging to jagged granite. The clouds had completely obscured the moon and stars, destroying all the light. Such was the gloom he couldn't see the land beneath; it was as if they were adrift on a barren island in a sea of darkness. And before him...

There, waiting, stood Quaetam, the High Commander, ruler of the Nameless Army and scourge of the Northlands. Bedecked in his twisted black armour, blue balefire crackling around him, he was the herald of the endless night, the engineer of this eternal darkness. He turned, broadsword held lightly in his grip, a sly smile tugging at his lips.

"Ahh, TD. So glad that you could make it."

"I've come to stop you," said TD quietly.

"I'm sure you have," Q's smile pulled further at the sides of his mouth "Just as all the others did."

"Why, Q? Tell me that, why are you doing this?!"

"I kept you alive as long as I desired. Now I no longer have need of you. With all the champions dead then my victory will be assured."

"Not that. Why have you caused so much pain and suffering? What is it you're after? Power? The world?"

"Conquest?" Quaetam laughed "The dreams of those foolish enough to believe that they are gods. Why should I desire to rule this pathetic world? You've seen yourself that this world is lost, its people fighting and turning on each other like the beasts they are. No, what I desire is something far, far greater. Something beyond your ken. You, with your childish notions of morality and nobility, could never hope to understand."

"What's there to understand? Nothing can possibly be worth the misery you've caused! You even sacrificed your own comrades just to advance yourself!" TD paused, realisation dawning on him "...You never were on their side, were you?"

"Clever boy. I'm glad someone figured it out." Quaetam held up his hand, gauntleted fingers curling into a savage fist "My Generals were nothing but pawns to me. Tools to further my cause. Resources to take what I needed. And they fulfilled their purpose admirably. They died swearing their loyalty to me, believing that they were favoured. But they were never my allies. I have always been in this for myself. Always."

TD shook his head "You're a monster, Q. An utter monster."

"A monster?!" Quaetam threw back his head and laughed "All this time I have talked and planned, and what have you and your so-called friends done? You've fought and slain and murdered each other! You turned on each other like wild dogs, tearing yourselves apart on the slightest suspicions. You've hung and killed far more innocents than I. There is far more blood on your own hands. So tell me, TD, tell me, who is the monster here?!"

"Enough." TD shifted into a fighting stance, gauntlets held at the ready "I've come to kill you Q. I've come to end the night and save the world."

Quaetam smiled "Then, so be it."

TD roared and charged forward. The High Commander held his ground, unmoving. TD closed the gap in an instant, leaping and driving the blade on his gauntlet forward and Quaetam suddenly burst into action. He swung his sword high, blocked the blade, spinning on his heel and moving out his path as elegant as a dancer. TD faltered, surprised at his speed, then Quaetam's sword lashed out, tearing a wound across his chest from hip to shoulder. He didn't even manage a scream as Quaetam spun around, now slicing open his lower back. Again to the front and he drove the tip of the blade into TD's chest, connecting with the breastbone. With a sneer he twisted the blade and tore it free, ripping out a chunk of flesh. Sound finally left TD's throat and he screamed, staggered backwards and collapsed, stunned by the utter swiftness of it all.

"I can't even say you fought well," said Q, looking down on him in contempt "But then again, I never intended you to."

TD rolled onto his front, curling into a ball from the pain. Blood poured from between the fingers of the hand he had clutched to his chest. Somewhere he could hear himself screaming, hear the heavy tread of the High Commander's footsteps. They were fools to have thought they could have defeated him. He was more than terror incarnate, he was a force of nature, an unstoppable tide of darkness that would plunge the world into eternal night. And what were they? Weak, scared children torn from their own world and forced into a war they had no chance of winning. There was no hope, there was...

NO. He wouldn't give up. Not now, not after all of this, not after all they'd been through. His friends had sacrificed so much, and now he stood at the endgame. He would not let their sacrifices be in vain. He. Would. Not. FALL!

He rose to his feet, panting heavily. He removed the hand from his chest, the held back blood splattering outwards in a thick crimson sheet. Quaetam cocked his head to one side, smiled a half-smile. Interesting, he was fighting back. What did he hope to accomplish?

TD closed his eyes and concentrated. Around his gauntlet little sparks of light began to flicker and glow, growing in strength and circling around him. They spun faster and faster, glowing brighter and brighter until he was wreathed in a shining halo of light. The air behind him began to shimmer, distort, and to Quaetam's horror the shades of those who had been slain flickered into view, standing resolute behind the last of the champions. The wind picked up, clawing at his armour and sending up a flurry of bright sparks around him.

"This fight is over, Quaetam!" called TD "For too long your evil has poisoned this world, for too long have you spread pain and misery on all you encounter." TD's gauntlet began to glow and a shining blade of light materialised from within. The High Commander hissed and took a step back "You may have slain them but my friends are forever with me, Quaetam. Their strength is my strength, and together we shall destroy you!!"

With a cry TD charged, motes of brightness kicking up in his wake. Quaetam could barely lift his sword, struck with a sudden fear at this warrior of light with the shining blade and the hosts of the dead behind him. With scream of defiance TD plunged his blade forward.

It impacted with Quaetam and exploded, an eruption of burning white light that seared the heavens and disintegrated the dark clouds above. The shockwave shattered rocks, ripped up trees, the dazzling glare illuminating everything for leagues around, the bright column of light soaring into the sky like the herald of a new dawn.

The column flickered and died, the light fading as the power of the final attack was spent. TD remained there, fist extended, breathing heavily from exertion. The smoke billowed and boiled around him. This was it, he had won. United as one he and his friends had cast down the High Commander, their combined strengths shattering him, overthrowing the night. Finally, finally, the dawn had-

The smoke cleared.

Quaetam stood there, TD's fist caught in the palm of his hand, a terrible, savage grin on his face.

TD was dumbstruck. How was this possible?! He had felt all of his friends' presence, felt their strengths behind the blow. How could this be? How could they fail? How could-

Quaetam twisted his arm around, wrenching the arm in its socket and causing TD to drop to his knees with a cry of pain.

"You forget, TD," Quaetam leant in close, his voice dropping to sibilant whisper "No matter how strong the dawn, no matter how dazzling the sunburst, no matter how powerful the desire in the hearts of men, in the end the light will always, always, succumb to the darkness."

He cast TD backwards, sending him into the dust. TD lay there, numb with shock and emptiness. It was all over, there was nothing left for him to give. He had put absolutely everything he had, every ounce of strength, every part of his faith in his friends, into that attack, and it had all come to naught. There was nothing, nothing left...

Quaetam hoisted his sword.

Pride and Love and Life and Sacrifice and Shadows and Light-

He made a step forward.

Justice and Fate and Change and Death and Focus and Wind-

He raised his sword high.

And Hope...

The blade came down. TD didn't even resist.

TD260 was killed! He was Requiem, the Beacon of Secrets! Alignment: Townie

-------------------------------

Quaetam stood, alone on the tor. Behind him TD's body lay still and cold, the last of the blood sluggishly seeping from his veins. The wind had died and all was still. The clouds returned, swallowing up the moon and stars, their silvery light on the world below fading and dying. Quaetam watched and he felt the entire world shiver. Now his way was clear. All of these champions, these so-called Beacons, those destined to destroy him, had failed. And now none remained to oppose him. Victory was his. His smile grew, spread into a grin that split his face, and the High Commander threw back his head and laughed. The terrible sound echoed through the still air, the world trembled at his feet as all hope was extinguished.

Above, the darkness swelled and obliterated the light.

-------------------------------

Game 17 is over! This game's winner: Quaetam, the High Commander! Alignment: Overlord

1st: Quaetam (High Commander)
2nd: The Town
3rd: Avalanche (SK)
4th: The Mafia

Thanks for playing!

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

FUUUUUUCKKKKK YOOOOOUUUUU

the one time I trust you with my back and you plant a dagger in it.

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:27 pm

Even if Q wasn't the high commander I was going to say that this win should have been all his anyway.

Steam: smashbro815
3DS/Pokemon X&Y: 1048-8610-9932
"I wish I had a magical spaceship made of yellow ideas that could go in space with like a tiger wearing a purple flower, and everything would be colored happyness:)" - SurgePox
"All Pokemon are just Ditto anyway" - Raya
"Krystal's Ok. But what about Umbreon. Now thats a sexy Pokemon, like a sports car." - Dismal

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Perry on Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:42 pm

What did the perry role do?!

Perry
Savior in Green

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Avalanche on Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:42 pm

=>Avalanche: Explode

Spoiler:

*breath*

Spoiler:

and my magnus fucking opus

Spoiler:

there, Im done

Avalanche
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Requiem on Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:44 pm

Beacon of Secrets eh? I approve
Also...

Spoiler:

Requiem
Savior in Green

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Quaetam on Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:01 pm

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

COMEBACK TIME!!!

First post on the mafia forum:

smashbro wrote:>Mafia team with Q

finally. Please don't be a traitor in disguise.

I had fun playing as half a Chessmaster, and can't believe I pulled that one off. Seriously, great game Raya!

Also, Av, this one's for you and your rage:

Spoiler:

(as per your request Razz)

Oh, and one final point.

DRTJR, you are such a troll.

And, simultaneously, a town hero. Let me illustrate why:

Spoiler:

I figured Av would tell you to block me or at least that you might decide to on your own. I had already helped convince td to kill you (though he was thinking about it himself), so I decided I'd get you to block Avos to be sure. The PM I sent was entirely reasonable, and I think it would have worked.

ONLY PROBLEM?

DRTJR never read it. Had he done so this game could have ended night 8. You bastard. Razz

Quaetam
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nn8n on Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:32 pm

lol! Fun stuff! What's next!

nn8n
Wario's Bodyguard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SurgePox on Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:03 pm

Good game! I missed these.

smashbro wrote:another_smash_brother: Imma love my pokemanz
another_smash_brother: thay pwn bitches
another_smash_brother: thats when they ride on bitches

SurgePox
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Weldar on Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:28 pm

I had this solved the day Surge died, of course no one listened. Gald I didn't get a win for it though since I did not deserve to have solved it at all. I only knew anything of value by exploiting a major flaw in the design, Homestuck had the same problem but I'd say it was slightly worse here. A flavoured game with an obvious mafia team and a group of innos coming from a full set (playable characters here, kids/trolls for homestuck). As soon as Smash was lynched I knew the mafia had no covers and all that mattered at that point was names. I didn't care what your powers were, I didn't care what you said or how you'd acted all that mattered was the rolename you gave. If it's a playable character no one else has claimed you were clean, claim someone like Spont or Poopy Water or an NPC and I'd have ordered you dead asap, even if you were innocent scanned I'd have wanted you dead for science since the only way to be truly confirmed is by a flip. I'm gald I died and then the innocents actually tried to think since it's a lame way to play but the problem was in this setup it was the right way. When you have obvious flavour you really need to make sure there's gaps in all the groups, remove a few playable characters, add some NPCs and dead guys, replace some kids and trolls with guardians and exiles, etc. And most importantly, give the mafia the names of some of these removed characters, it's easy to justify flavourwise, these are some people you killed before the game started.

Still was a good game. I had fun being a totally suicidal white mage employing bullshit srategies.

I'm not a Vacuum!
[quote="Quaetman"]
There was a flash of lightning, and the figure’s visage was illuminated for a moment, a single, terrifying moment, a revelation that seemed to stop the world dead.

“Checkmate,” said Weldar, and fired his bullet into JGH27’s heart.
[/quote][quote="King Avalanche"] I doubt any of our craniums will come out of this game a virgin cause Weldar is gonna fuck them all.[/quote]

Weldar
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DRTJR on Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:35 pm

That was A great game, I think I played better than my usual god awful play. Oh and Q Just read your PM and I wouldn't have changed the block anyways.

DRTJR
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Quaetam on Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:18 pm

DRTJR wrote:

That was A great game, I think I played better than my usual god awful play. Oh and Q Just read your PM and I wouldn't have changed the block anyways.

You say that in retrospect, having now known that I was the main villain and Avos was town. At the time I think your opinion was much more malleable, as you shifted it like three times that dayphase. But I digress, the point is moot.

Spoiler:

Razz

And I do agree with Weldar that the role pool should have been a little more varied, but hey, I managed, so I'm cool with it.

Last edited by Quaetam on Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

Quaetam
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:45 pm

Quaetam wrote:And I do agree with Weldar that the role pool should have been a little more varied, but hey, I managed, so I'm cool with it.
I didn't...

Steam: smashbro815
3DS/Pokemon X&Y: 1048-8610-9932
"I wish I had a magical spaceship made of yellow ideas that could go in space with like a tiger wearing a purple flower, and everything would be colored happyness:)" - SurgePox
"All Pokemon are just Ditto anyway" - Raya
"Krystal's Ok. But what about Umbreon. Now thats a sexy Pokemon, like a sports car." - Dismal

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TD260 on Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:19 pm

Weldar wrote:I had this solved the day Surge died, of course no one listened. Gald I didn't get a win for it though since I did not deserve to have solved it at all. I only knew anything of value by exploiting a major flaw in the design, Homestuck had the same problem but I'd say it was slightly worse here. A flavoured game with an obvious mafia team and a group of innos coming from a full set (playable characters here, kids/trolls for homestuck). As soon as Smash was lynched I knew the mafia had no covers and all that mattered at that point was names. I didn't care what your powers were, I didn't care what you said or how you'd acted all that mattered was the rolename you gave. If it's a playable character no one else has claimed you were clean, claim someone like Spont or Poopy Water or an NPC and I'd have ordered you dead asap, even if you were innocent scanned I'd have wanted you dead for science since the only way to be truly confirmed is by a flip. I'm gald I died and then the innocents actually tried to think since it's a lame way to play but the problem was in this setup it was the right way. When you have obvious flavour you really need to make sure there's gaps in all the groups, remove a few playable characters, add some NPCs and dead guys, replace some kids and trolls with guardians and exiles, etc. And most importantly, give the mafia the names of some of these removed characters, it's easy to justify flavourwise, these are some people you killed before the game started.

Still was a good game. I had fun being a totally suicidal white mage employing bullshit srategies.

In my defense, the logic employed by Q, (that SPW was put in as a role to allow mafians to have covers by claiming other roles) Made sense at the time, mainly because it would be too simple to assume "everyone who claims townie character is safe and people who are contradicting/dead are mafians hiding".

Hindsight being 20/20, this doesn't make sense, since there were no other cover roles. I stand by my actions though, because at the time they made sense.

TD260
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Weldar on Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:27 pm

Exactly. The logic made sense, your mistake was paying any attention to the logic.

You were playing the smart way, it's just here that happened to not be the right way (which is I'd say is a problem designwise). To me Smash's death confirmed 100% the mafia had no covers and all evidence pointed towards all roles as player characters. That's what I mean I'd have lynched a Spont or Poopy water even with an innocent scan for science, if they actually flip town they debunk that theory. That information is worth more than almost any role.

I'm not a Vacuum!
[quote="Quaetman"]
There was a flash of lightning, and the figure’s visage was illuminated for a moment, a single, terrifying moment, a revelation that seemed to stop the world dead.

“Checkmate,” said Weldar, and fired his bullet into JGH27’s heart.
[/quote][quote="King Avalanche"] I doubt any of our craniums will come out of this game a virgin cause Weldar is gonna fuck them all.[/quote]

Weldar
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Perry on Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:24 am

td260 wrote:that SPW was put in as a role to allow mafians to have covers by claiming other roles
Wait wat?

The fact that he was the ONLY one with this role, even stating that it was for the maffians in his description, didn't make you think he was just bullshitting? By the gods ._.

I like how me and Eisen were the only ones in the entire game that didn't succumb to weak gameplay and did role reveals. *high five Eisen*
Though I will admit that you guys had me thinking of other claims to make, simply because I knew you'd be like "Kill the unrevealer!" if i didn't. In fact i'm glad td decided to scan me that day, saved me from a lot of bullshit.
-never got any useful information out of his role-

Perry
Savior in Green

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nn8n on Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:25 am

Agreed, I regret reveling also. I've learned that I'll never do that again. Completely asinine.

Part of learning though...

nn8n
Wario's Bodyguard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Requiem on Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:23 am

I don't Razz

Requiem
Savior in Green

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nn8n on Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:14 am

Don't reveal? Or learn?

nn8n
Wario's Bodyguard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Requiem on Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:16 am

Don't regret

Requiem
Savior in Green

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Quaetam on Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:55 am

Derp, accidentally deleted rather than editing. Luckily I had the thread open in another window, copypaste: go-go-go.

To be fair, Perry, as a host I for one would have put in a few roles outside the expected playerset for that reason. It being in there for mafians to have good covers wasn't part of the description, that's just some of the logic I gave it Day 9 when I had to find some way around the fact that Req was Snake. Td figured Snake was more likely to be in the game than SPW, I said, well, not necessarily: A host is likely to exclude a few of the expected characters from a roleset to make massclaims less effective, especially after her last game was broken with one. Snake also kinda seems like the perfect person for Raya to choose to exclude after he himself broke her last game, would have been a funny way for her to troll him.

It was bullshit as much as it was logic, but it worked Razz.

Also Avos the issue wasn't as much that you claimed but that you claimed the way you did. You outright chose to claim bomb to one of the scummier of the "confirmed" players-A roleblocker who had spent the whole game blocking a tracker until someone yelled at him about it Razz. A bomb would only want to claim to td in the situation you were in, as he was the clearest of everyone. To anyone else you should have claimed bodyguard or something. Those day 1 PMs you sent out pretending to be a protection role were the right idea, you just messed up a bit in the endgame.

BTW, this:
Spoiler:

DRTJR, you troll Razz

Also something else I wanted to address this whole time: The argument by reputation.

By this I of course mean the whole "oh, he's a good player and still alive, he must be scum" argument. This one frustrated me.

This argument is invalid.

Yes, mafias tend to use their night 1 kill on a good player to get them out of the game, and yes, good players tend to be a nexus for powers, but frankly I was telling the full truth when I said that a smart mafia will go for people based on their role and standing in the current game more than their reputation. This game, immediately after night 1, our targets were basically set in stone: First a cop, then an accidental massclaim leader (and doctor), then a vigilante, then a vigilante again when the bodyguard stopped our unblockable, then I had to sacrifice Eisen to make myself plausibly clear, kill JGH (but was blocked), do a no-kill as part of a late-game gambit (I'll explain it later), then I had ot get through a wifom loop involving a bus driver power night 9, which I did to kill J, and then I killed td finally night 10. There literally was no other option this entire time. Even if there had been, we'd have been better off going for a cleared player/confirmed townie than for a player with a good reputation.

Seriously, I'd leave someone like Snake or Raya alive until endgame if their power or play in the current game didn't deem them a threat, unless it was a situation where nobody really stood out, in which case you might as well I suppose. Even then I actually kinda liked what Perry did, just targeting Sahrimnir night 1 to throw everyone off. It was a fun strategy, I'll admit.

Also, knowing people tend to use the argument on reputation, a mafia will indeed leave a good player alive when they're already under suspicion to see if they can frame them.

Quaetam
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Quaetam on Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:33 pm

Raya wrote:He scrambled up the rocky incline as fast as he could, desperately trying to put distance between himself and his pursuers. He made it onto a ledge, notched an arrow to his bow, pulled back and fired. It struck one in the knee, sending him sprawling. If they didn't want to listen to him then fine, he'd just have to deal with them the old fashion way. By shooting them.

THIS WAS BEAUTIFUL. HOW DID NOBODY NOTICE?!?

Quaetam
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SnakeInABox on Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:57 pm

This game was whatever. I got sick of the plot twists and chessmasters and all that stupid stuff back around Game 10.

Mafia isn't fun for me anymore.

Congrats though, good game I guess

SnakeInABox
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Quaetam on Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:39 pm

Meh, this game wasn't even that plot-twisty. In terms of twists it had a traitor in the mafia, and two roles that could alignment shift. That's just about it. And I thought it was good.

I will say having a few less plot-oriented games for a while might help sure, especially for those of you such as you yourself who are getting sick of the plottwists. Quite honestly though I think that the future for mafia does look kinda promising after this game. Dunno if you share my opinion but that's how I feel.

Quaetam
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheTJ on Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:41 pm

Yeah, I feel good about mafia now.

Also, Q, I herby swear revenge. Revenge in the form of falling for your arguements again. (Seriously, run for office or something)

TheTJ
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Quaetam on Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:01 am

(@TJ I actually have thought about going into politics, but I don't think I'd be playing the manipulation game if I did.)

Oh, and I didn't say this before, smash, but I really want to ACTUALLY work with you one of these times. The two times we've been allied, more or less, you were a deathspeaker and I was a backstabber. Granted this game with the semi-massclaim that went down you didn't live long enough for that to really matter, but still Razz.

Role PMs coming up soon?

Quaetam
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:49 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 21 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top