Mafia 19 - Back in Black 2: Black with a Vengeance

Page 3 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 17  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Mafia 19 - Back in Black 2: Black with a Vengeance

Post  Quaetam on Sat May 05, 2012 8:24 pm

Don't see what your point was in quoting Relmitos there. Regardless of whether he has NO internet or SOME internet, the point stands that he can't play. I agree that it's not a ruse, which leads me to restate my second point of logic: If he's going to be subbed/modkilled, I don't see a point wasting a lynch on him for now.

On the note of substitution, spoon, hosts here usually find a new player to pick up the role of the old one. It's a system that works well. If no player can be found, the other one is modkilled. We don't typically give the power to another player, but given that this game doesn't have many powers transferring it to a vanilla might be acceptable if he's cop or similar. That's a host call thing. Either way for overall balance Surge'll be trying to get a sub, before anything else.

This aside, on the issue of Requiem, I do agree that he's grouped himself with the others who didn't vote for Weldar, and that it wasn't timed that well, but the issue here is that Requiem was reflecting an accusation aimed at a group of people in the first place, so it could still go either way.

That said, he did this in a very casual way, as if speaking up knowing what a pre-set plan was. That is a bit scummy. I don't know if I want to give Req my vote yet though.

What you said on Warchamp, yeah, he could be trying to push the lynch onto a plausibly logical target as mafia, it's true, but frankly the player you're suggesting he's going out of his way to protect is DRTJR. I don't think War would put himself on the line for DRT.

smashbro wrote:This is, of course, you assume that Raya and me are townie, but you have not probable reason to think any of that now.

Or for all you know the three of us are mafia, and that was a bad slip, but it would be a dumb mafia play for three to go after the same guy right away.

This bothers me, bro. The fact that you call out this behavior in Requiem (which I do agree with, don't get me wrong) and then go emulate it yourself? I don't think I've very often see a townie make that kind of statement, the whole "oh, but you really can't tell what we're doing, for all you know the three of us are mafian." It's true, but the method in which you presented it bothered me.

light FoS: smashbro.

Edit: Roxasninja: Love how both of Snake's friends have basically gone "lolvotesnake"... Imagine if they played this just to troll him. I doubt this is the case but it's a weird little pattern. I find it kind of suspicious as well.

Vote Tally:
DRTJR (6): Viero, Req, smashbro, Raya, Relmitos, Snake
Weldar (4): Warchamp, Sah, DRTJR, Spoon
Snake (3): TheTJ, Dramakat, Roxas,
Eisen (1): Relmitos
Relmitos (1): Eisen
Requiem (1): td260
Viero (1): Fedaykin
No one (1): Avos

Quaetam
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Posts : 2514
Join date : 2010-03-08
Age : 23
Location : United States

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mafia 19 - Back in Black 2: Black with a Vengeance

Post  Smashy B on Sat May 05, 2012 8:38 pm

Quaetam wrote:light FoS: smashbro.
Is this a test?

_________________
Keeper of the keys
llll llll llll llll llll

Steam: smashbro815
3DS/Pokemon X&Y: 1048-8610-9932
"I wish I had a magical spaceship made of yellow ideas that could go in space with like a tiger wearing a purple flower, and everything would be colored happyness:)" - SurgePox
"All Pokemon are just Ditto anyway" - Raya
"Krystal's Ok. But what about Umbreon. Now thats a sexy Pokemon, like a sports car." - Dismal

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

Posts : 7702
Join date : 2008-09-24
Age : 24
Location : SoCal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mafia 19 - Back in Black 2: Black with a Vengeance

Post  Quaetam on Sat May 05, 2012 8:51 pm

Doesn't matter. Regardless of its nature, my statement stands.

Quaetam
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Posts : 2514
Join date : 2010-03-08
Age : 23
Location : United States

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mafia 19 - Back in Black 2: Black with a Vengeance

Post  Requiem on Sat May 05, 2012 9:00 pm

Quaetam wrote:This aside, on the issue of Requiem, I do agree that he's grouped himself with the others who didn't vote for Weldar, and that it wasn't timed that well, but the issue here is that Requiem was reflecting an accusation aimed at a group of people in the first place, so it could still go either way.

That said, he did this in a very casual way, as if speaking up knowing what a pre-set plan was. That is a bit scummy. I don't know if I want to give Req my vote yet though.

What you said on Warchamp, yeah, he could be trying to push the lynch onto a plausibly logical target as mafia, it's true, but frankly the player you're suggesting he's going out of his way to protect is DRTJR. I don't think War would put himself on the line for DRT.

Ok? Have you forgotten how I play bro? I always seem scummy to you. How often have I been scum again? Oh riiiiight, once, in a game where almost everybody was scum. And I was cult last game, but I died night one, before I could even do anything. As for Warchamp, we've been watching people do things that don't seem logical a lot lately. You sacrificed your team mate and said you would never do that, and last game DRTJR completely exposed his role, and people accepted it. It's kind of becoming a thing lately. As for my kind of 'casual' response, I'd have to say that my reason for that is that it wasn't something I was taking too terribly seriously. It was a side remark. Now that I've got people prodding me, I've got a more serious response.

Lastly, I said
Requiem wrote:We're (Referring to the people, including myself that Warchamp directed attention at) not necessarily defending Weldar, so much as pushing for an actual lynch.
From what I've read on here, that's what the main point is here, that neither they, nor I, want a lynch to go wasted on somebody that is in all likelihood going to be modkilled.

Requiem
Savior in Green

Posts : 1248
Join date : 2010-11-16
Age : 25
Location : Twin Lake, MI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mafia 19 - Back in Black 2: Black with a Vengeance

Post  Smashy B on Sat May 05, 2012 9:03 pm

Quaetam wrote:Doesn't matter. Regardless of its nature, my statement stands.
Fair enough. I don't have anything else to say on the matter then.

_________________
Keeper of the keys
llll llll llll llll llll

Steam: smashbro815
3DS/Pokemon X&Y: 1048-8610-9932
"I wish I had a magical spaceship made of yellow ideas that could go in space with like a tiger wearing a purple flower, and everything would be colored happyness:)" - SurgePox
"All Pokemon are just Ditto anyway" - Raya
"Krystal's Ok. But what about Umbreon. Now thats a sexy Pokemon, like a sports car." - Dismal

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

Posts : 7702
Join date : 2008-09-24
Age : 24
Location : SoCal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mafia 19 - Back in Black 2: Black with a Vengeance

Post  DRTJR on Sat May 05, 2012 9:09 pm

Last game I said I was the Phycaratist and it bought me enough time to eliminate the Cult and secure a #2 for team SK, with outside knowledge that people knew I wanted to be SK I pulled the Not Even I'm That Dumb card on myself and it worked. It was a gambit that paid off, I hope that enough votes can pile up to spare this Townie.

UNVOTE:WELDAR

VOTE: SNAKE



DRTJR
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Posts : 3630
Join date : 2009-05-25
Location : Death Mountain

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mafia 19 - Back in Black 2: Black with a Vengeance

Post  Quaetam on Sat May 05, 2012 9:13 pm

Requiem wrote:Ok? Have you forgotten how I play bro? I always seem scummy to you. How often have I been scum again? Oh riiiiight, once, in a game where almost everybody was scum. And I was cult last game, but I died night one, before I could even do anything. As for Warchamp, we've been watching people do things that don't seem logical a lot lately. You sacrificed your team mate and said you would never do that, and last game DRTJR completely exposed his role, and people accepted it. It's kind of becoming a thing lately. As for my kind of 'casual' response, I'd have to say that my reason for that is that it wasn't something I was taking too terribly seriously. It was a side remark. Now that I've got people prodding me, I've got a more serious response.

Easy man, I haven't pushed for a lynch on you, have I? You did something that merits my attention, but I haven't even FOSSED you, and you're already getting your metaphorical knickers in a bunch.

I agree with you that Weldar is a waste of a lynch. Forgive me for analyzing a statement people are finding suspicious and offering my opinion. That isn't how the game is played or anything Razz

Sarcasm aside, and apologized for if you take offense.

As for what you said about illogical plays, no, they haven't "become a thing". Everyone knew instantly that DRTJR was SK after his slip, he didn't try to play it off as "oh, why would I do this as a real SK". It was just a slip Razz. And my sacrificing Eisen, that was for two reasons. One, because I was desperate. Two, because I wasn't really on his team.

smashbro wrote:Fair enough. I don't have anything else to say on the matter then.

Interesting. So you choose to not respond to any accusations at all?

Quaetam
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Posts : 2514
Join date : 2010-03-08
Age : 23
Location : United States

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mafia 19 - Back in Black 2: Black with a Vengeance

Post  Smashy B on Sat May 05, 2012 9:29 pm

Quaetam wrote:
smashbro wrote:Fair enough. I don't have anything else to say on the matter then.

Interesting. So you choose to not respond to any accusations at all?
Would you rather I not respond at all? I said what I did because there's nothing currently in play to suggest what I am other than my word and your perception of me. For that you find me suspicious, and that's fine. I don't know what else you want me to say.

_________________
Keeper of the keys
llll llll llll llll llll

Steam: smashbro815
3DS/Pokemon X&Y: 1048-8610-9932
"I wish I had a magical spaceship made of yellow ideas that could go in space with like a tiger wearing a purple flower, and everything would be colored happyness:)" - SurgePox
"All Pokemon are just Ditto anyway" - Raya
"Krystal's Ok. But what about Umbreon. Now thats a sexy Pokemon, like a sports car." - Dismal

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

Posts : 7702
Join date : 2008-09-24
Age : 24
Location : SoCal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mafia 19 - Back in Black 2: Black with a Vengeance

Post  Requiem on Sat May 05, 2012 9:52 pm

There's the Q I know and recognize! All things aside, I was actually just screwing around. When I say people prodding me, I mean more than just you. I just find it slightly irritating that me saying something like the word "We're" is being picked apart in regards to something that was directed at a group of people. Yet everybody is climbing aboard the crazy train, ya dig man?

I fully dissagree with you in regards to people going out of their way though to make themselves seem innocent.

Beyond that, why exactly is Warchamp so adamant about defending DRTJR? Why would he want to push so hard against Weldar? I mean, personally, for the first day, I'm usually game for anybody being lynched (Short of myself of course), I'd feel the same if it was you up for lynch, or Smash or... whoever posted before myself there, I can't see back that far in the topic review thing. However, like I said before, Weldar's kind of like a no lynch to me. So why does Warchamp, who supposedly supports the day one lynch process, want to lynch somebody who's going to be modkilled? Still, it's not so much that that I'm concerned with so much as what makes him so sure that DRTJR is innocent?

Also, leave my knickers out of this!

Requiem
Savior in Green

Posts : 1248
Join date : 2010-11-16
Age : 25
Location : Twin Lake, MI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mafia 19 - Back in Black 2: Black with a Vengeance

Post  Warchamp7 on Sat May 05, 2012 10:06 pm

I've never defended DRTJR. You're putting words in my mouth now and that's really scummy.

I don't care who dies day 1, though I'd prefer to kill scum and people have been disturbingly defensive of Weldar.

So why does Warchamp, who supposedly supports the day one lynch process, want to lynch somebody who's going to be modkilled?

Show me where Surge informs us he'll be modkilled.

For an "innocent", you're grasping at a lot of straws and being rather defensive, must say.

Warchamp7
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Posts : 2025
Join date : 2009-04-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mafia 19 - Back in Black 2: Black with a Vengeance

Post  TheTJ on Sat May 05, 2012 10:11 pm

Warchamp7 wrote:Show me where Surge informs us he'll be modkilled.

SurgePox wrote:2. Please do not become inactive, inactivity is the worst way to kill a game of forum mafia. If you're going to be gone, let me know, and if you disappear for multiple phases (especially without warning), don't be surprised if I modkill you.

He sorta says it here... Of course, I've been burned with rules quoting before, so If we can get confirmation from Surge...?

TheTJ
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Posts : 3527
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 26
Location : Behind You!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mafia 19 - Back in Black 2: Black with a Vengeance

Post  Requiem on Sat May 05, 2012 10:16 pm

Have you never watched me play before? *Blinks* I'm barely being defensive at all yet. It makes it seem like you're defending one when you accuse the people who are voting for them after all. As for the modkill thing, it's just something to be relatively inferred. We waited for a while, had nobody else want to join, we don't have anybody up on the reserve list. If there's nobody to replace him, what happens? Modkilled player.

Requiem
Savior in Green

Posts : 1248
Join date : 2010-11-16
Age : 25
Location : Twin Lake, MI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mafia 19 - Back in Black 2: Black with a Vengeance

Post  TheTJ on Sat May 05, 2012 10:19 pm

Also worth noting... Weldar's name has already been changed in the opening post.

TheTJ
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Posts : 3527
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 26
Location : Behind You!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mafia 19 - Back in Black 2: Black with a Vengeance

Post  Warchamp7 on Sat May 05, 2012 10:20 pm

TheTJ wrote:
SurgePox wrote:2. Please do not become inactive, inactivity is the worst way to kill a game of forum mafia. If you're going to be gone, let me know, and if you disappear for multiple phases (especially without warning), don't be surprised if I modkill you.

He sorta says it here... Of course, I've been burned with rules quoting before, so If we can get confirmation from Surge...?

Yeah it's not really written in stone. The problem at this point though is that if Surge does say he'll be replaced, suddenly that person is a perfectly viable day 1 lynch now, potentially killing them regardless.

I originally voted Weldar as a joke but the reactions to it have been rather telling. Smash's vote on DRTJR was innocent enough but Raya's response was kind of eh and Requiem was just terrible, and gotten worse.

So, if Surge can confirm a modkill will happen, I'll be swiching my vote to Requiem.

I'm barely being defensive at all yet.

You're deflecting attention big time, trying to draw attention to my alleged 'defense' of DRTJR, which never happened in any capacity. My options right now are basically DRTJR random lynch or the scummiest player I see, and that happens to be you.

Warchamp7
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Posts : 2025
Join date : 2009-04-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mafia 19 - Back in Black 2: Black with a Vengeance

Post  Requiem on Sat May 05, 2012 10:32 pm

Heheheheheh

That was easy. What am I deflecting attention from though? I already answered the only point you had. Since then I've just been messing with you. You've been playing along quite well. Unfortunately, I don't have any time left, I've been up too long, like... 42 hours now, so I'mma be crashing. Later all!

Requiem
Savior in Green

Posts : 1248
Join date : 2010-11-16
Age : 25
Location : Twin Lake, MI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mafia 19 - Back in Black 2: Black with a Vengeance

Post  Quaetam on Sat May 05, 2012 10:32 pm

Smash, that's all well and good, but if you really felt that it was just a case of "okay, you suspect me, fine", you wouldn't have worried so much about whether or not I was testing you. I don't quite buy it.

Between your earlier behavior in regards to accusations on Req (what I pointed out before this), and the fact that you wanted to know whether or not I was testing you before responding, and then about faced and tried to say that you weren't concerned about whether I suspected you, I find you decently suspicious.

No vote on you yet however, because frankly I would rather make heads or tails of the whole Req/Warchamp/DRTJR/Weldar situation.

Req, people aren't jumping on the crazy train, they're analyzing. That's how the game is played. No need to get so easily pissed/sarcastic, that's where your knickers come into question.

I agree with you that Weldar is like a no-lynch: I earlier stated the exact same thing you have here. Frankly he contradicted himself. I just don't find it voteworthy.

Requiem wrote:I fully dissagree with you in regards to people going out of their way though to make themselves seem innocent.

Explain. I'm not entirely sure what I said about people making themselves seem innocent, cause frankly that's how the game is played. I'm saying that using illogical tactics isn't as common as you think; we can't always assume people are using illogical moves to look clean. There are situations where it's acceptable, yes. But to do it day 1? Not worth it. It would throw both of them into the spotlight in the end if things went south.

As for Warchamp, you've certainly been bringing logic to the table, but it's logic that contains a lot of flaws. If you support doing a lynch that matters why are you this intent on getting Weldar out? Surge stated people would be modkilled/subbed for inactivity, and even if he hadn't, that's the usual host approach, why should it be different now?

It's logical to wait in this situation and take him out later if he isn't modkilled, really. I don't see why anyone would be 'defending' him as mafian, because they'd know that he's likely to be kicked out. We literally are voting between taking out someone who is random, and someone who is dropping out of the game anyways. For mafia comrades to defend Weldar would be idiotic, because when he flips on death they'll look scummy.

It's not just your contradiction, however: It's also the fact that you've been really championing the push on Requiem. To me, I think lynching one of you will also have the side effect of cleaning up the other. And between the two, you look more suspicious to me. Requiem's statement was a bit suspicious, but it has really been blown out of proportion.

I will be perfectly honest, Req is right in his logic that attacking someone's attackers = defending them. That's how it comes off. Surge last game chose to attack me the second I called out Relmitos because he knew he had to get suspicion on me before I caught the whole mafia. This was a mistake, because to me it was obvious that this was what he was doing. Of course, I then had to have a role that violated the rules, which kinda messed that up a bit, but whatever, things worked out.

That said, you ARE deflecting attention a lot, Requiem, with the way you attacked Warchamp so hard the moment you did, and I don't like the whole "hehehe I was messing with you guys" attitude. A good townie won't do that.

What keeps me from voting you, Warchamp, is this simple logic: If you were mafian, why would you be pushing for an effective no-lynch day 1 so hard? It makes sense for mafians to band on Weldar as a potential joke vote or innocent-enough useless vote, but the fact that you've been defending it so hard makes me far less inclined to think you're mafian. If people were working so hard to lynch a townie, why not let them lynch that townie without a fuss? It would only benefit you, and nobody would look either way. The only situation in which you'd make this move as mafian, the only situation in which you'd defend an essentially useless vote, would be if the alternative was the loss of a comrade, so I think unless DRTJR is mafian you're looking a bit clear.


Last edited by Quaetam on Sat May 05, 2012 10:39 pm; edited 3 times in total

Quaetam
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Posts : 2514
Join date : 2010-03-08
Age : 23
Location : United States

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mafia 19 - Back in Black 2: Black with a Vengeance

Post  Relmitos on Sat May 05, 2012 10:39 pm

Man, Spoon, that's merely semantics. Has no internet, has no reliable internet, they both end on the fact that it renders Weldar unable to play.

Requiem wrote:Have you never watched me play before?


The way one plays in one game holds little to no bearing in gauging one's affiliation in another. I did one of my usual moves in the last game, and while it normally gets me to end game, Q used it to peg me as mafian. The same exact thing I always do, which has never failed me before, except that game, meant nothing in it because I was mafian and not townie.

As for Surge modkilling Weldar or not, if he can't find a replacement for him (which is a big probability, I'm honestly surprised we have this many people signed up for this game as it is), leaving him alive is pointless if he can't play. May as well just remove people that can't do anything, as they just take up space. Forgive the terminology, but that's what it is.

EDIT: Oh geez, ninja'd by a Q wall. Fun times.

Relmitos
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Posts : 3665
Join date : 2008-10-23
Age : 28
Location : Louisiana, where Gator is good food.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mafia 19 - Back in Black 2: Black with a Vengeance

Post  Quaetam on Sat May 05, 2012 10:45 pm

Relm, to be honest, your failed reaction is what had me looking at you in the first place; it was clear to me that the little test I gave you made oyu worried, given how you chose to respond to it that late, and I know you were online and posting elsewhere in the meantime. However, I wasn't sure about it until Surge chose to defend you when he did. That's what pegged both of you.

Oh, and it helped when you killed me. Fucker Razz.

The thing about the Weldar kill is that right now it's a waste because it's been stated, and stated IN THE RULES, that inactives/drops will be modkilled if they can't be replaced. That said, if you feel it's worth taking him out now rather than waiting for the modkill/sub, fair enough, as it could give us leads if he's mafian. People have made it a useful option simply by being so polarized on the issue Razz

But really this is the exact reason we have modkills for inactives: so people don't waste time lynching htem. And there's no sense lynching him to test others' alignments if he's going to be modkilled anyways Razz.

Quaetam
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Posts : 2514
Join date : 2010-03-08
Age : 23
Location : United States

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mafia 19 - Back in Black 2: Black with a Vengeance

Post  Relmitos on Sat May 05, 2012 10:50 pm

Quaetam wrote:Oh, and it helped when you killed me. Fucker Razz.

Dunno what you mean, "helped when you killed me", you had the noose around my neck already. And your welcome tongue

Relmitos
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Posts : 3665
Join date : 2008-10-23
Age : 28
Location : Louisiana, where Gator is good food.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mafia 19 - Back in Black 2: Black with a Vengeance

Post  Smashy B on Sat May 05, 2012 11:01 pm

Quaetam wrote:Smash, that's all well and good, but if you really felt that it was just a case of "okay, you suspect me, fine", you wouldn't have worried so much about whether or not I was testing you. I don't quite buy it.
It was a rhetorical question. I knew you were trying out a reaction test on me, that's what you do. I actually liked how you reacted to my reaction before, but I don't know now.

Between your earlier behavior in regards to accusations on Req (what I pointed out before this), and the fact that you wanted to know whether or not I was testing you before responding, and then about faced and tried to say that you weren't concerned about whether I suspected you, I find you decently suspicious.
I have no excuse. I'm just trying to play like I would if I was townie. So I'm threw out a vote, and posted so shit that got peopel talking. It worked in game 14.

Now I'm getting the feeling that if you are mafia, then you're trying to build suspicion on me to lynch me tomorrow or day 3. When you're townie, you have the tendency at nailing mafia effectivly. When you're mafia, you still take down mafia when necessary, but then build up suspicion on other players.

Does it really worry you that it doesn't worry me that you suspect me?

I'm leaving for the night now. happy cinco de mayo!

_________________
Keeper of the keys
llll llll llll llll llll

Steam: smashbro815
3DS/Pokemon X&Y: 1048-8610-9932
"I wish I had a magical spaceship made of yellow ideas that could go in space with like a tiger wearing a purple flower, and everything would be colored happyness:)" - SurgePox
"All Pokemon are just Ditto anyway" - Raya
"Krystal's Ok. But what about Umbreon. Now thats a sexy Pokemon, like a sports car." - Dismal

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

Posts : 7702
Join date : 2008-09-24
Age : 24
Location : SoCal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mafia 19 - Back in Black 2: Black with a Vengeance

Post  Quaetam on Sat May 05, 2012 11:14 pm

Does it really worry you that it doesn't worry me that you suspect me?

No. It worries me that you say it doesn't worry you, when in reality you were concerned about whether or not I was testing you, and based your response on that. This shows clearly that it DID worry you, despite your claims otherwise.

And you support that by still saying you're not worried that I suspect you, yet then saying you think I'm building a case against you to frame you. The two are mutually exclusive. You can't be unconcerned and totally cool with it, admit to have no excuse, and at the same time feel my suspicions of you are bullshit.

I still don't like the route you're taking here, for now I'll let it rest, because as I said before it's a hunch. Just know you've got my eye, and my FOS.

Quaetam
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Posts : 2514
Join date : 2010-03-08
Age : 23
Location : United States

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mafia 19 - Back in Black 2: Black with a Vengeance

Post  nn8n on Sun May 06, 2012 12:21 am

I hate to say this but when it comes to someone with computer problems or just inactive, the role that has been subbed the last three times where mafia roles. Then the sub stayed out of suspicion until the end of the games or even brought home a win for them. I'm going to go toward getting rid of the chance that a sub will blend in with the 'I just got here' or not be very active either since they didn't join in the start.

Vote: Weldar

nn8n
Wario's Bodyguard

Posts : 833
Join date : 2011-01-11
Age : 36
Location : nn8n

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mafia 19 - Back in Black 2: Black with a Vengeance

Post  SuicideAngel on Sun May 06, 2012 12:27 am

Vote: Q
For the dual reasons of hating textwalls and his dragging me here after a 14 hour workday at 1am to post -_-

Now, I'm not one to over analyze small stuff, because It's my firm belief that nothing can really be gained from a single observation. This is why I mostly lurk every game I've played. We all have our freudian slips and our speech patterns, it's nothing unusual once. It starts getting suspicious to me when the same patterns recur - Which, if such mistakes are truly signs of trouble, won't happen if you shine a spotlight on them. You learn nothing day 1, and only start getting true insight into the behaviors day 2, or even 3.

I don't buy into this "testing" concept - you're a moron if you get pulled into it and you glean only what you suspect you'll glean. If you go in looking for mafians you're going to see mafian tendencies no matter what they say. Ignore? Mafian. Defend self? Mafian. Bring up another point of discussion? Mafian. Someone needs to explain to me exactly how this helps anything.

I do agree with Q on the subject of Weld however, the game rules state inactive members will be replaced (unlikely) or modkilled. Either way atm he is dead weight - helping no one. This is logically the most benefit to the townies, who already have the vote advantage.

SuicideAngel
Dedede's Enforcer

Posts : 403
Join date : 2010-04-11
Age : 27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mafia 19 - Back in Black 2: Black with a Vengeance

Post  Quaetam on Sun May 06, 2012 12:51 am

Not gonna lie, I agree with almost all of the logic in that post, to the point where I want to +1 you for it.

However, let me explain the way testing works. The idea behind reaction testing is something core to scum-hunting: Press people based on the small things, see how they react. It's a perfectly legitimate strategy, and has worked well in the past.

People who will condemn someone just off of single statements day 1 are being too hasty, yes. However, there's no harm in reading into them, because that's how you generate discussion, how you generate reactions, and how you see what people do.

Also, there are two approaches to reaction testing someone. The first is to go after someone looking as them as a mafian. The second is to go after someone looking at them as a player and gauging their alignment solely based on their statements. When you reaction test someone you have to analyze what they've said so far and think of how they'd respond as a given alignment. That's the only way it will mean anything. The typical thing everyone says, "guilty until proven innocent", is inherently flawed in mafia. Rather, what you have to do is play "neutral until proven either way". Don't trust people by default, but don't distrust people by default.

Suicide wrote:Ignore? Mafian. Defend self? Mafian. Bring up another point of discussion? Mafian.

This isn't quite how it goes. Ignore? Well, what context are they ignoring you in? Are they adamantly ignoring everything you've said and hoping someone else distracts the conversation because they're afraid to look scummy out of arguing, or because they don't want to defend themselves, which shows they're afraid of looking suspicious? Or are they simply too busy, or not concerned? Depending on what you choose here you can decide if someone's suspicious.

Defensiveness? Well, how were they defensive, and how defensive do they usually play? Were they simply trying not to get lynched, and rationally so? Or were they overreacting to the extreme? Take Avos last game, I made one sentence about how he could be mafian, and he flipped a shit in a paragraph long post, totally pulling a 180 and finding me suspicious for the very behavior he praised. Context is what makes defensiveness either a scumtell or a rational behavior.

Bring up another point of discussion? That one's only a cause for suspicion if it's done in an exceptionally scummy manner, which doesn't happen often.

It's all about using logic when judging people. You have to look at it from as objective a standpoint as possible. Reaction tests are useless if you blindly fling them anywhere and take any possible reaction to be mafian. What you SHOULD do is press people and see what they do and judge based on that, keeping in mind that people are, by statistics, less likely to be mafian than townie, and moreover choose when to push something.

Take smashbro right now. I chose to question him because one statement he made that looked scummy. He responded by asking if I was testing him, which alone didn't bother me that much, but then he proceeded to, when I said it doesn't matter, say "alright then, I have nothing to talk about". This showed me that he was waiting to hear before deciding whether to respond, which means he was concerned that I found him suspicious. When I asked why he wasn't going to respond to any accusations, he said he's not concerned that I find him suspicious and has nothing else to say. But his earlier behavior contradicts that; the fact that he chose to ask whether I was testing him and base his response on that stands on its own as a little suspicious. Then, even while continuing to say he's not bothered by me finding him suspicious, he decided I'm probably building a case against him.

Even then, I don't find him worth a vote yet. He's got my finger of suspicion, and I'm going to watch him as the game progresses. I'm not being hasty in this at all, but I've seen a behavior

Also, quick note, I agree about Day 1 being too hasty on its own: I for one usually wait until about day 3 to really push hard so I can judge patterns. Last game I went hard from day 1 because I didn't have an alignment and I knew that if people didn't contact me I'd die without ever joining a team, and lose (I was a freelancer role, like your catgirl last game). Only reason I'm playing hard day 1 here is because I know that starting Monday this week, and going onwards until about the friday afterwards, I'm going to be busy as all hell with studying for finals, and I'd like to get some playing in Razz. But I agree with you on this matter, I definitely do.

I do want to clear one other thing up: there's a difference between REACTION TESTING someone and TRAPPING someone. Reaction testing is gauging someone based on their posts, and, more specifically, their reaction to pressure. This is something very basic to scumhunting, but if you're good at it you can be careful with your posts and really attempt to plan for certain reactions and know what varying responses might indicate. Note. I don't do THAT extent of it that often Razz.

Trapping someone is setting up a situation in which it's quite clear what they'll say if they're scum. It's literally attempting to bait them. Many traps people lay down are obvious, and take foolish mafians to fall into. Others can be more subtle. It's not a terrible approach, at all, you just have to be smart in your approach to it.


Last edited by Quaetam on Sun May 06, 2012 3:43 am; edited 2 times in total

Quaetam
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Posts : 2514
Join date : 2010-03-08
Age : 23
Location : United States

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mafia 19 - Back in Black 2: Black with a Vengeance

Post  SuicideAngel on Sun May 06, 2012 1:19 am

Fair points but all of them mostly covered (imho) by "Don't be a moron." If you know there's a pit under the palm leaves in the middle of the path, why are you walking into it? I'll grant the difference between Gauging and trapping but gonna point to the palm leaves for a little longer and ask "Even if there's no pit, why don't I still walk around?" Now I can appreciate your playstyle and I'mma let you finish, but that's just not how my mind works - I'm too straightforward and paranoid a person to get talked into these little games personally and because of that I don't see how anyone else manages to. It's also because of this that I make a less effective player than most people I suppose, but that's Min-maxing for ya.

SuicideAngel
Dedede's Enforcer

Posts : 403
Join date : 2010-04-11
Age : 27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mafia 19 - Back in Black 2: Black with a Vengeance

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:52 pm


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 17  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum