the Touhou Project!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

the Touhou Project!

Post  Doctor Shulk on Wed May 23, 2012 5:58 am

okay so there was no way I wasn't going to make this topic eventually.

I love Touhou. There are 13 games plus like 6 official spin-offs plus a shit ton of fangames now. It's nuts. My friend was like 'oh you'll hate bullet hell', oh how wrong he was. Amazing music, great character design (but shitty art - what do you expect, everything's done by one person alone), and challenging yet enjoyable gameplay. It's awesome.

The main series is bullet hell, obviously. You generally play as Reimu Hakurei, a lazy shrine maiden, or Marisa Kirisame, a hardworking and energetic thieving witch, with other characters occasionally playable too. Each game has six stages (excepting Touhou 3 and Touhou 9) of increasing difficulty. Playing through on Normal or higher without using a continue gets you the Extra Stage, a long stage with a boss fight generally twice as long as the final boss (the bosses generally have 10 health bars, the stage 6 boss will normally have about 5). It's a serious challenge to even unlock the Extra Stage, and I'm yet to beat one. I nearly beat 6's on my old laptop with its terrible slowdown rate, but yeah.

The first 5 games were on the PC-98 so I haven't played them because I haven't looked in to emulating them yet. I'm lazy shhhhh. The next games are awesome though. The fighting games are surprisingly good, too, though the story mode is a bit of a pain in the ass in the later ones because of the spellcard system. At least continuing still nets you a good ending. The photography games are fucking insane and the Cirno game is fun if incredibly silly. And yeah. That's all there is to say on the matter really. :U

Doctor Shulk
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile http://gangreldorf.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: the Touhou Project!

Post  Chronicle on Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:49 pm

I've always been kind of curious about Touhou, but I've never really attempted to play any of the games. I've tried some flash bullet hell games to see if I'd like them and they were quite fun, but I didn't last very long.

Definitely agreeing with the music, though. Touhou really does have a ton of awesome tracks.

Chronicle
Feral Mercenary

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Doctor Shulk on Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:21 pm

Fighting games are a good start even if they're incredibly silly.

Touhou 13.5 (a fighting game) and 14 (standard bullet hell) are coming this year. Yussssss. I played the demo of 13.5, I'm not sure what I think but I'm sure the game will be better. The floating is kinda weird though.

At least the controls are better than the first fighting game in the series, that had really shitty controls.

Doctor Shulk
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Back to top Go down

Post  Omicron Austin on Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:49 pm

The only Touhou I've really played is Perfect Cherry Blossom. I enjoyed it enough. I played Embodiment of the Scarlet Devil for about 5 minutes, didn't like it as much, and never played again.

The music is just gold, though. I have this playlist that's about 20 hours of Touhou music of various remixed styles and sometimes with vocals. It's my "playing League of Legends" music.

Omicron Austin
Savior in Green

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Doctor Shulk on Sun May 26, 2013 1:59 am

New fighting game is out now! Download came up like, 20 minutes ago, getting the update patch as we speak so I'll be able to play it. Koishi's in it! So's a character who is the happy mask salesman, apparently.

Demo for Touhou 14 should be out soon too.

It's a good day for the Touhou community.

Doctor Shulk
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:32 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top