Do Steam Sales help or hurt?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Do Steam Sales help or hurt?

Post  .. on Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:44 pm

EA is butthurt over Steam Sales, claim it "cheapens intellectual property" and "cannabalises" sales.

I don't see any of the developers complaining about the sales. I mean, don't they have to agree before their game is put on sale for a ridiculously low price? If they give the okay what is the problem?

Obviously, the sales must be hurting EA and anything that hurts EA is bad for the industry in their opinion.

So Origin won't have these big sales like Steam? Well then the only point to EVER have Origin is because certain games will be exclusive on it. I liked Battlefield 2, but I didn't play Battlefield 3 much, and I don't play Mass Effect, so right now Origin is completely useless.

OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Do Steam Sales help or hurt?

Post  SurgePox on Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:15 pm

Good, intellectual property should be cheap anyways. Information is basically post-scarcity anyways in the age of computers and the internet, so EA is just crying that steam sales are hurting their ability to maintain artifical scarcity on data.

smashbro wrote:another_smash_brother: Imma love my pokemanz
another_smash_brother: thay pwn bitches
another_smash_brother: thats when they ride on bitches

SurgePox
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Avalanche on Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:13 pm

Ah yes. Ive seen this a while ago on the escapist as well.

Yes, constantly giving large discounts would normally hurt the value of an intellectual property's. If a 60 dollar product is being sold for 20 dollar every other week, then who would bother paying 60?

However, the diffrence between Valve and EA is that Valve offers such a wide variety of games that they can afford to constantly offer discounts of diffrent games without harming the individual values of IP's. This week it's batman, next week it's the warhammer games, the week after that it's valve's own games.

Now take a look at Origin's catalogue and how little games they offer in comparison; if they were to have a action sale every other week then yes; Their IP's would become worth very little, very fast.

Conclusion; EA is grasping at straws in the digital distribution skirmish (don't even justify calling this a war) because they simply can't compete.

PS: for research purposes I took a look at the origin forums.....It's really kinda depressing. More then 75% is dedicated to unsolved bugs and issues.

Avalanche
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  .. on Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:51 pm

If I recall correctly, Gamestop wanted to and/or tried to buy Steam. Imagine the shitfest that would have been.

Anyways, Steam has Digital Distribution by the balls. Microsoft tried their little "Games for Windows Live" which hasn't gone anywhere really, and now EA is trying Origin. Origin will only put up a fight because EA will make pretty much any game they publish an Origin exclusive. (Not sure, though.)

I hear people say all the time they would have bought a certain game, if it were on Steam instead of Origin. But I am pretty sure that was only about Battlefield 3.

OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  barda_ehmos on Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:57 pm

-50% for this, -75% for that. that's limit insane, i take an exemple.
Random..... Skyrim = -75% what???
see a very good game sale 35ยง
i think pay for games only in sold time.

barda_ehmos
Wario's Bodyguard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:50 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top