TWBB Mafia Game 20: Those who Challenge Fate-ENDGAME-A Kingdom Worth Living For (Thread 2)

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: TWBB Mafia Game 20: Those who Challenge Fate-ENDGAME-A Kingdom Worth Living For (Thread 2)

Post  Relmitos on Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:20 pm

Oh yes, definitely. Q's comments make everything so much more amusing.

Relmitos
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: TWBB Mafia Game 20: Those who Challenge Fate-ENDGAME-A Kingdom Worth Living For (Thread 2)

Post  SurgePox on Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:47 pm

Also, Q didn't really touch on this but we targeted Weldar night one almost exclusively out of fear that he would catch fire with the doctor and protective roles on him and hunt us all down like dogs. We were mostly correct in doing so, it looks like.

smashbro wrote:another_smash_brother: Imma love my pokemanz
another_smash_brother: thay pwn bitches
another_smash_brother: thats when they ride on bitches

SurgePox
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Relmitos on Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:13 pm

Yeah, it's gotta be tough being mafian now. So many people to go "aw hell......who will screw us over first?" about.

Doctor Shemp wrote:Weldar, one day you will live to the end of a Mafia game.

If he's mafian, sure.

Relmitos
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fedaykin on Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:37 pm

Game 6 and 12 come to mind.

Fedaykin
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Weldar on Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:13 pm

Relmitos wrote:
Doctor Shemp wrote:Weldar, one day you will live to the end of a Mafia game.

If he's mafian, sure.

Please I suck at being scum, I never last the whole game as it. Not that I mind much, I'll take being innocent and dying within a few days over being scum any day.

I'm not a Vacuum!
[quote="Quaetman"]
There was a flash of lightning, and the figure’s visage was illuminated for a moment, a single, terrifying moment, a revelation that seemed to stop the world dead.

“Checkmate,” said Weldar, and fired his bullet into JGH27’s heart.
[/quote][quote="King Avalanche"] I doubt any of our craniums will come out of this game a virgin cause Weldar is gonna fuck them all.[/quote]

Weldar
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Relmitos on Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:15 pm

Fedaykin wrote:Game 6 comes to mind.

Relmitos
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Weldar on Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:32 pm

There's some difference between being scum and being a 3rd party who has nearly 50% of the playerbase thinking they're on their side and having a hand in every single nightkill in the game. That wasn't so much skilled scum play as luck and coasting off a convenient distraction (zombies).

I'm not a Vacuum!
[quote="Quaetman"]
There was a flash of lightning, and the figure’s visage was illuminated for a moment, a single, terrifying moment, a revelation that seemed to stop the world dead.

[/quote][quote="King Avalanche"] I doubt any of our craniums will come out of this game a virgin cause Weldar is gonna fuck them all.[/quote]

Weldar
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The New Kingdom of Avalanchia's Roles

Post  Quaetam on Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:26 am

The New Kingdom of Avalanchia

Fedayking

Role: Unfriendly Neighbor (Game 12)
Character: Youngster Joey
Pokemon: Rattata
Side: Avalanchia
(Support: Coalition)

You know your Rattata is in the top percentage of Rattata, and you want to make sure everyone knows.  You've busted out a phonebook, and you're ready to call. Once a nightphase, you may PM me the name of a player, and you'll call them and they'll be notified of your top percentage Rattata.

You're sick and tired of the laughter, of the jokes!  Nobody appreciates you, and nobody appreciates your Rattata!  For too long have you toiled in the ashes of this Kingdom, waiting for a chance at something greater...  You've had enough of the established order: It's time to make a change!  

You are a Traitor this game.  If the Avalanchians attempt a kill on you, you will gain access to their private forum.

Evolution:

Rattata, in becoming Raticate, would gain the ability to frame whoever he visited that night, and simultaneously determine who they had visited.  So basically a mafia tracker/framer.

When in power:
Joey, while in power, was planned to be a broadcaster; essentially he could send out mass anonymous messages each night to people he had previously called.  

One of the major things I was aware of coming into Game 20 was the inherent danger presented by claims in the All-Stars format…  Given that roles were mostly from past games, players’ options for creativity in fakeclaims were highly limited.  In fact, I almost gave all the Coalitionists and Avalanchians coverclaims early on but decided against it.  This role countered that; Friendly Neighbor is usually town-aligned, so it was a perfectly safe claim for Fedaykin, and he could even use it a little suicidally; had someone who received one of his messages vouched for him, he could bring them down with him.  In the flavor, Youngster Joey was sick of everyone making fun of his Ratatta, and wanted to see the world burn, so he’d join the hostile Avalanchians if they tried to nightkill him.  

He played this well in regards to his comrades; he essentially ignored them, pushing useful logic against almost everyone else.  In fact, Johnny noticed this by day 2 or 3, as he pointed it out in the mafia forum.  Unfortunately, until Sahrimnir pretended to have scanned Fedaykin, they didn’t make the connection that he was their traitor.  He made absolutely no solid move against the hostile Avalanchians, but at the same time didn’t support them.  Beyond this, he played it just like a townie, providing excellent insight and logic, and solid analysis across the board.  Not much more can be asked from a scum player.

He used his power to repeatedly contact Avalanchians, hoping that they would take it as a hint and try to recruit him, but unfortunately it had the opposite effect; I seem to recall they had an idea what his role would be and began to think he was town, and not a very powerful town role, thus not a huge threat (correct me if I’m wrong about the reasoning here, Avalanchians).   When Sahrimnir claimed to have scanned him guilty, Fed used his call on smashbro Night 3 so that smash would help him in the argument against Sahrimnir’s claim.  Sah was killed Night3 and revealed to have been a former townie, leading many to look at Fedaykin oddly.  Spoon, Great Arbiter of the Coalition, revived Sah, and Sah pretended to be freed, and said that Fed was his master, trying to get Sahrimnir to attack him so that when Sah flipped pawn he would look clearer.  A rather clever ploy, if I may say so myself.  Debate got heated and FEdaykin managed to defend himself somehow, with smashbro backing him up due to the call he’d received about the Ratatta.

He was doing well towards  the end of the dayphase, but ultimately became doomed  in the last few hours.  Sorry about that extension, Fed; I was incredibly busy with RL stuff and had absolutely no time to addresss the game that day.  Anyways, overall, great play, it was a lot of fun to watch and to chat about.

Viero

Role: Mafia Punisher (Game 14)
Character: Spades Slick
Alignment: Avalanchia Modkilled
(Support: Avalanchia)

You’re Spades, and you like to show your stabs.  You got no business here in this godforsaken land of pale-skins and turtles.  No, you’ll have none of it.  Seems you haven’t got much of a choice though.  So you’ve aligned yourself with someone powerful, yeah… Someone who knows what’s what.  You’ll follow this Avalanche fellow.  

You are a roleclaim punisher. Everytime someone claims their role in thread or PM to you or a teammate, you will earn a point towards unlocking a power.

Your power is also that of a yakuza.  Once per game you can show someone your stabs, recruiting them into the mafia, at the cost of your own life.  This is, however, an absolute last resort:  It has a 50% chance of failing, though if it fails you'll survive, and it will not work on all roles.

Go stick THAT up your pipe and die slowly.

When in power:
Spades is not a roleclaim punisher, nor a yak, when in power; rather, he was going to be a 1-shot vig, more or less the equivalent of the Arisen Mod’s 1-shot, only his kill would not be unblockable.  I hadn’t fully decided on this, but didn’t really have to.

This was a combination of two essential roles: The roleclaim punisher, something I wanted each faction to have for the sake of balance (due to the same issue I mentioned before; where the allstar format is a bit hard on those who need to bullshit claims), and a Yakuza, in flavor of the role I held game 14 (which was this one).  I changed it from a hard recruit to a sacrifice-recruit, and made that power a literal last resort, to downplay it a bit.  In-flavor Spades was, well, Spades; he didn’t give two fucks about anything but what he wanted, and decided to follow Avalanche, as he thought he was a powerful guy.

It’s unfortunate that I had to modkill Viero given the importance of his role, to be honest; this was one of the most powerful roles on the Avalanchia team, and had he been alive, the Avalanchians would have most likely won the game; that’s how close things got later on.  I was very disheartened that I had to modkill him, as he knows, because he was incredibly enthusiastic going into the game, actively texting me during day 1 for updates on how it’s going, but then when he got here he just… didn’t want to play.  Again, I was kinda upset by this; but I won’t go into detail here, it’s an old issue.  Powerwise, Viero roleblocked DarkFalco nights 3, 4, and 5 I believe, but by Night 5 he was already warned to be modkilled, and I eliminated him from the game Night 6.

Hudsonboy111

Role: Superhero (Game 11)
Alignment: Avalanchia
Forumer: Quaetman

Being the all powerful Quaetman, you can hack fire emblem, and the internet! You are Avalanchia’s one and only local superhero!  Having followed your King into the Kingdom after the Tempest of the Void, you, alongside him, seek to overthrow the corrupted Coalition and retake the land to rebuild it anew!  Each night you are able to either scan the interwebz for clues (note: this has no target, you simply PM me asking to scan the internet) or upload a virus onto the computer of the player of your choice (if you choose this PM me your target). That player will be completely role and vote blocked, and if part of a private forum will be banned from that forum for the day.

In addition, you can take off your glasses and make an entirely unblockable and irrevocable mafia kill, erasing your target from existence with the power of your burning gaze! Note that on nights you chose to do this, you cannot use your hacking abilities.  This ability also has a 1-night recharge; you cannot use it twice in a row.

When in power:
Quaetman, when in power, focuses solely on his peaceful methods, and can now hack every night, rather than making unblockable kills.  I had considered making him an executioner similar to the Arisen Mod, but I felt that wasn’t in flavor for him at all and detracted from the significance of the Coalition’s unique lynch-altering ability.  Would have been cool, but I decided against it Razz.

This role, I felt, brought a nice balance to the Avalanchia team.  His hacking abilities could serve as either a random semiscan or a roleblock.  Flavorwise, Quaetman fit into the equation this game perfectly.  The idea was simple; the Superhero arrived here when his world was torn apart, and made peace with his King, recognizing they had a common enemy.  Yet, when they were in power, he would be one of the more hesitant members of the group, noticing how far they had fallen, etc.  He was also another role meant to throw off past hosts and the claim game: Qman was purely townie in td’s game, with only the hacking abilities.

This role’s hacking powers saw good use, but the erase kill was used only once, to my surprise.  Instead, the Avalanchia team focused on the demolitionist, aiming to throw the town off.  It was a brave, effective choice.  Qman’s kill was night 1 on Weldar; as Surge mentioned literally like four posts before this, Weldar was targeted to keep him quiet, as the Avalanchians greatly respected his abilities.  I purposefully used vague wording in the deathpost to make it less obvious it was Quaetman, (people were guessing at Eridan, Sollux… a lot of other things), though I’m surprised the bit about the shades didn’t catch on for anyone.   It has been far too long, it would seem Razz

Hudson played this game very well; he came into it having barely participated in the two before it, only to have a lot of ideas and put forth great effort, which I really appreciated.  Early on, his play brought him a couple odd glances from some of the more prominent townies (such as Weldar, who correctly noted he was being extremely careful in his wording and constantly sucking up to people), but overall he wasn’t really under that much suspicion throughout.  He more or less blended in, beyond the aforementioned hiccup.  He textwalled quite a few times, had a number of accurate deductions regarding the way the game was setup, and often appeared to be an informed townie.  His play was hindered only by the fact that he had summer camp, which kept him mostly inactive after day 6.  He popped up a couple times day 9 to post, but in the end didn’t make much of an impact there. Also notable, his random scans included the demon's role, which led to a crazy coincidence where the Avalanchians thought Warchamp was the demon when their kill on him failed.

He died when Johnny outed him as Avalanchian in a bid to close the game up, and Minby, in his death-throes, switched the Championing vote onto Hudson, thereby totally altering the endgame.  In the flavor, the scenario saw the Preacher beseeching unity and forgiveness, asking the Avalanchians to join with her against their common foe, only to be shot by the Mad King.  In her bitter, dying rage she turned her gun not on the Mad King, but on Mario, on he who had killed the Usurper, her idol.  Luigi took the bullet (which in endgame proved fatal), and Quaetman, disillusioned with the regime he served, left to go fight the demon.  

I will ensure the dawn arises; you must be the one to lead the people to it.

Hudson’s play this game was good, his death fit the flavor, and despite being busy he tried to stay active later on.  Not much more I can ask from a player.  GG

Johnny Farrar

Name: Viero
Role: Demolitionist (Game 15)
Affiliation: Avalanchia

Being evil, so much fun. You know what else is fun? Explosions. You'd done some work with them in the past but only just recently begun exploring them further. In that past people had only really used them as a defensive tool but their offensive capabilites were even more exciting.

Six months ago, in the Rising War, a plan to lure the Queen to her death ended disastrously, and your attempt to destroy a rooftop, taking her with you, ended in failure, killing your comrade, Kirby. However, you escaped, and in the wake of the Tempest of the Void, have sought out a new chance to take the Kingdom by storm.

This quest has led you to a miracle. King Avalanche, and a band of royals, having arrived from nowhere, here to take back his throne. It is he you now follow, in the hopes that you may throw off the shackles of the corrupt Coalition and reestablish Avalanchia in his name!

If you are the mafian making the nightkill rather than killing that player you will plant an explosive charge around them. Once a charge is placed you can detonate the explosives at any time. If the charge is detonated during the day the player will be killed immediately (once I get online), if the charge is detonated at night there is a chance it will kill another player who was acting on that target. You cannot detonate a charge the same night it is placed. Players will not be informed of anything when they have an explosive charge on them but if they are visited by a protecting role at any point while they have one the explosive will be defused and both the player and the protector will be informed of this fact. On your death you will trigger any undetonated explosives with your last breath.

When in power:
When the Avalanchians are in power, Viero, using old cloning facilities recovered from Mewtwo’s Underground, takes up his old practice, and can revive people by making perfect clones of them.  He cannot revive those who have been dead for more than three days before his entering power, as their bodies have decayed or something.

Another brilliant game 15 role, the demolitions expert is a pretty critical strategic role.  Essentially it offers the mafia greater control over nightkills, at the cost of Spont’s sillykills and more importantly Quaetman’s erasure kills.   The advantages were the possibility for collateral, control of the timing, and the ability for mass casualties if the Minister of Green were killed.  The disadvantages were that while someone was primed, a doctor could remove that prime at any time, and a driver could shift it around, etc: The idea, as explained by Weldar when he submitted the role, was that when someone is primed, they have a kill placed on them.  That kill is on them until they detonate, so a doc can still block it, a driver shift it, etc. Ultimately, it makes for quite a balanced role in most setups, and I highly recommend it.  Powerwise, Johnny primed a number of people to boom, and set them all off Day 6.  The only failed explosion was Warchamp due to his immunity.  In-power, he was able to revive Camilla, which proved instrumental in the rise of the ELoE and the shape of the endgame.  

Flavorwise, this was also a very fun role.  Many of you may remember that in Game 10, the Viero role was in the mafia alongside the Kirby, Ness, smashbro (converted to Coalition), Yoshi (converted from third party), and , of course, Mewtwo, the Pocket Monster.  In Game 10, the Viero role, played by Spont, was a bomb after his resurrection, and attempted to take down Queen Raya (played by Snake) by detonating the top of a building.  However, the scheme went awry, and resulted in the death of his comrade, Kirby, instead.  Both actually survived the explosion, mortally wounded.  Kirby was fed up with Viero and the other Avalanchians, and went off on his own after recovering, while Viero was forced into hiding to recouperate.  Viero realized the error of his ways, strove to undo all he had wrought, and help the world recover, joining the Avalanchians.  He remained thoroughly behind the scenes here, until he made one final play in the finale, attempting to take down the forces of the Kingdom via an army of clones…

Ingame, Johnny was brilliant.  Behind the scenes he was one of the most active players; putting up a false naivette in public in order to distract absolutely everybody, while simultaneously plotting in the background.  His posts were trademark lemming in-thread until day 9, at which point he came out of absolutely nowhere and dominated everything, revealing his true skills.  The only real scumslip he had before the gambit, IIRC, was defending Surge on a couple occasions, which connected the two of them in the Coalition's eyes, and Relmitos'.

Day 9, now a townie as Avalanchia was in power, he decided to play, and hard.  He decided to pull a gambit, essentially.  He outed his comrades, and pushed to have both Coalitionists taken out.  It ALMOST worked, and had it worked, it would have POTENTIALLY won the Avalanchians the game.  (I say potentially because the ELoE was still kicking).  However, Minby was able to force Hudson to be championed, which turned the tables completely. Ultimately, Johnny’s move was a mistake, but honestly not a stupid one; he knew what he was doing, and almost won with it.  The one thing that should have tipped them all off was Warchamp’s stated ability to choose a successor, as he mentioned day 7.  That aside, smart, powerful playing overall, when you read the mafia forum you’ll see exactly how smart.

King Avalanche

Name: Dr. Spont
Role: Mafia Sillydoctor The Mad King (Game 15)
Affiliation: Avalanchia
(Support:Avalanchia(*) )

Who's fucking with your medicine? Spont mode go! The constant battle has left you mad, an endless stream of muttered nonsense just waiting to be led to the gallows. Instead they locked you away but the madness still remained. It surrounds like a cloud, drawing in anyone who comes close.

You are a nexus, anyone who tries to act on you will have a 75% chance of having their target randomized. The action can bounce off onto any living player, this includes the person using the action and even yourself (in which case the action will not bounce off a second time and actually effect you)

The madness infects everything you touch. Thrice this game you can fuck with someone's medicine, turning them mad just like you and forcing them to speak in Spont mode the next day. Also, anytime you are chosen to make a mafia nightkill, the method of death will be silly.

Upon succeeding SurgePox to the throne of Avalanchia:

You are now the King of Avalanchia!  In order to protect your realm, you may Preach to one person each day and each night.  That person will be swayed into supporting your dominion!

Ah, Spontmoding.  Another role from Game 15, equal in both its brilliance and its creativity to the other two.  I love the idea of making other posters crazy, and expect to see it return one way or another…  The nexus also gave him a slight boon; a semi-nightkill-immunity, even to unblockables, as they could be turned away.  (Unfortunately, by the time he was targeted for death, he had given up that ability to become the new Avalanchian Preacher)  This also made him a wildcard; towards the beginning of the game he had a good chance of pushing any kill aimed at him to a townie, but later on he would become as much a danger to his teammates as to the enemy, as numbers narrowed.

In flavor, Dr. Spont was, well, crazy.  As an Avalanchian he wasn’t mentioned until his ascension to the throne; Johnny made most of their kills by proxy in the hope of achieving collateral damage, but once he ascended… oh man was the Mad King a fun character to write.  His descent into madness, as the land descended into oblivion, was, well, incredibly fun Razz.  He was a monarch with no conscience, no sense of self-awareness, and ultimately no stability, as his attacks towards Mario eventually became little more than those of an animal.  As he was exposed to the Miasma, his being began to slowly break down even further.  His end was fitting, thrown off the edge of a rooftop by the Arisen Moderator, seeking vengeance for his comrades, into a hole in the world, which sealed itself behind him.

Avalanche’s play this game was on the borderline of modkillable inactivity for the first few days, but this was mostly due to his finals, if I recall correctly.  Starting Day 7 he finally became active, and played a rather significant part in the discussions surrounding Warchamp, the two duels Day 8, and then the Challenge Phase Day 9.  Warchamp was suspicious of him early D7, before doing his gambit, and this was compounded.  He was helped day 8 by the large distraction in the form of one Demon.  He did the perfect thing that day and bussed Surge, who seemed to be losing the fight with Relmitos.  As the Mad King he was quite active; helping point the people towards Minby on the lynch that doomed the Coalition. That night, however, he was overthrown, and defeated; the championing of hudsonboy tipped the scales on the support battle, allowing the Evil League of Evil to take control.  As Avalanche was exposed by Johnny’s gambit, he was made an immediate target by the Coalition that night.  

The Mad King was overthrown by Mario, hero of the people, and driven out into the storm of oblivion, where he was confronted and defeated by the first and last of the fallen angels.  Good game on your part when you finally went active Avalanche, and thanks for sticking with it despite being busy.

SurgePox

Role: Forsaken King (Game 11)
Alignment: Avalanchia
Forumer: King Avalanche
(Support: Avalanchia*^)

Once the proud king of Avalanchia, your Kingdom was shredded in a cataclysmic event, destroyed by the very mathematics that bind our world. Now you find yourself here; your land lost, your people usurped by the corrupt Coalition of Moderators, the world in the hands of those who would reshape it out of malice, of avarice. You want it back, and will do anything in your power to seize it. You cannot hold back anymore, not at this hour. This is your final chance to reclaim your Kingdom. You lead the Avalanchians, this game’s mafians, and can through your charisma and overall brilliance blend into the crowd, scanning as innocent. Furthermore, you are untouchable by all but unblockable kills. When all your comrades have fallen before you, and you alone remain to champion your cause, you can choose to preform 2 nightkills at once. However, if you do this, they must recharge, so you then are left with no nightkills the following night. It's a desperate measure, but if you're the last one left, you don't have very many other options, do you?

You may additionally target one person each phase. This person will be swayed into supporting Avalanchia!

When in power:
The power of the Forsaken King doesn’t truly change; he maintains nightkill immunity and the preach.

And here we have one of the stars of the show, storywise.  Avalanche, ripped from his world and carried into the Kingdom.  You should all know how his tale goes at this point: He came to the Mushroom Kingdom, finds his land destroyed, and finds the woman he once loved fighting against all that he and she ever stood for, now one of the leaders of the Coalition.  His world was shattered, in more ways than one.  He saw the need for change, the need for someone to stand, someone to make a difference.  And in his disillusionment, he waged war against the powers that be, gathering his army, raising the flag high, and fighting both through force and through the preaching of the Avalanchians’ promise for freedom to reclaim the Kingdom.  His rage to a degree led to a decay in his morality, but overall he remained steadfastly righteous, unlike his successor…  Avalanche, in flavor, had a weapon capable of holding off a banstick ( the shortspear – scepter).  It did not, however, have the same purging effect.

Powerwise, King Avalanche was taken straight from Game 11, more or less; he was a godfather, who, upon being the last Avalanchian, could opt to double-up on kills in exchange for sacrificing the next night’s kills. He also could, as a Preacher, persuade someone via Support each night.  And one important thing to note: he could not kill Queen Snake, Preacher of the Coalition… in flavor Avalanche couldn’t go through with it.  This was played upon the day of his lynch; he defeated the Preacher, showed her mercy, only to be stabbed, incinerated by banstick, seemingly without mercy (until the Preacher showed remorse just before her death).

Ingame, Surge has always been one of our best players, and he continued to do well here.  He avoided his one trademark scumslip, and didn’t rely on emotional appeals to try to dominate the town by force.  This helped him go a very, very long way.  Throughout the game he played highly informed, highly thoughtful, making every post into a sizeable wall filled with veritable info.  Early on he saw the potential connection between DarkFalco, DRTJR, and Raya, and became the driving force behind Avos’ lynch, which was really a live or die moment for him, as Avos had claimed vig.  Luckily, he was a SK, so Surge looked valid.  From this point, players pointed out that Surge was still suspicious as Avos hadn’t flipped MAFIA, but most seemed to see him as an informed townie, and he played off any suspicion by addressing this fact HIMSELF… overall things were very much in his favor, with a few people constantly suspecting him on the sides.  After Day 3, Surge pushed hard on DF, which gave him a good deal of suspicion, so he went quiet for a bit, finally resurfacing Day 5 and continuing to play.    

He remained low-key on the surface, though active behind the scenes, until Day 8, where shit really, really went down.  He started the day by leading a push on TD, but when TD and Snake were vortexed, Relmitos, as the Ascendant Demon, decided to push hard on Surge, having just scanned Surge as a target and learned td was the Usurper of Heaven.  The debate day 8 was heated on all sides, and had an interesting polarity: TD and Snake were duking it out with nearly-spammy, low-content messages inside the vortex, while Surge and Relm textwalled each other repeatedly in-thread.  Surge played an incredibly powerful gambit: He went back to game 11, found the original Quaetman role, posted that he was Qman and provided the demon's role PM as evidence.  Relmitos then made the mistake of INSISTING he KNEW Surge was mafia… as Surge was a godfather, he knew Relm couldn’t have scanned him, so he logically assumed Relmitos was the Demon, and thus was able to totally fuck over Relm's game...

Day 8 in a lot of ways totally decided the game; it was this game’s equivalent of Game 10’s Day 7.  Essentially, the four major parties here played hard, each seeking their own interests, and based on the outcome of the two duels, decided the rest of the game.  Surge’s lynch, while not enough to prevent the Avalanchians from ascending to the throne, denied them their leader, and yet also led to the Demon’s demise thanks to Surge’s excellent detective work.  And TD being sealed away broke the Coalition’s back.  Ultimately, while he was inactive in the midgame, Surge played strong at the start, and amazing at the finish with his Day 8 gambits.  Nothing more can be asked; great job, man.  I’m glad you rolled this thing, and that you enjoyed it!

Avalanchian Private Forum:
The New Kingdom

Last edited by Quaetam on Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:07 pm; edited 4 times in total

Quaetam
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fedaykin on Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:10 am

JohnnyFarrar wrote: Fed unvotes, hops on the 'Avos lives' wagon and points out Ansem. I continue to think he's the best scum player without knowing it.

ORLY Razz

Fedaykin
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Quaetam on Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:08 am

Like I said, the Avalanchians noticed what you were doing by day 2, but didnt quiiite make the traitor connection for whatever reason. Very perceptive on Johnny's part, if only he had made the connection...

Quaetam
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Quaetam on Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:10 am

Welp, threadsplit?

Quaetam
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Relmitos on Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:32 pm

Woah, a mafia thread had a thread split? That's amazing.

Seriously though; mad props to Surge there. I do believe that was the hardest wall war I've had with someone in a mafia game. I know I was going "I really, REALLY don't want to wall war with Surge" before it even began. It was definitely interesting, to say the least.

Relmitos
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fedaykin on Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:18 pm

Quaetam wrote:Fedayking

I accept Razz

Fedaykin
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Eisenbeißer on Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:03 pm

@Q: WOW! Thank you for the feedback!

Could you please explain your criptic messages?

Eisenbeißer
Corrupt Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Coalition, Evil League Roles

Post  Quaetam on Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:46 pm

The Coalition of Moderators

TheTJ

Role: Arisen Moderator (Game 20)
Moderator: JGH27
Alignment: Coalition
(Support: Coalition(*) )

A once-corrupt moderator, you now see the light. You were once lost, but then you found yourself in Fedaykin, the Usurper of Heaven, and through the purging blaze of your weapon helped carry him to the throne atop which he now sits. Wielder of the all-powerful banstick, your strength is indomitable. While you are alive, the lynch will be irrevocable, made by banstick.

You also have a 1-shot banstick nightkill. Choose your target wisely.

When hostile:
Jeremy will no longer hold back, and can now make an unblockable banstick kill every other night.

The Arisen Moderator, executioner of the Coalition, is the classic moderator role from Game 6, still kicking around in Game 20… Essentially, it’s a powerful man with a banstick. He’s brute force; as Weldar put it perfectly, if you were to think of the Usurper as a Final Boss, the Arisen Mod would be That Boss, the one who everyone knows is powerful, even if he isn’t quite the true, last foe. He’s the muscle of the Coalition, an immobile, unbreakable specter who will hunt his prey without remorse. More or less, the Arisen Moderator is the Coalition’s impersonation of death. He’s intimidating, he’s powerful… His personality is hardened, following the deeds he has committed, and compounded with the deaths of his comrades. He believes ardently in the dream of the Coalition, and by the time he confronts the Mad King amidst the fury of the Tempest, by the time he faces Camilla in the Cathedral, that dedication to the Usurper’s new age had given way into utmost rage, to desire for vengeance.

Ingame, as the Coalition began the game non-hostile, in control of the town, and thus the Arisen Moderator’s powers were applied in a creative way; he was an Executioner… while alive, he would perform the Coalition’s lynches (with exceptions). Furthermore, I provided his one-shot as both a game balance measure (a chance to strike down his enemies, etc) and a storypoint, more or less: I planned on having that Usurper point-of-view scene, or something similar, whenever he used it, as it represented the Coalition finally taking up arms again, no longer content to sit back and simply try to quell the violence through its regular purges.

TJ played well, if a bit quiet at first. He pushed for a D1 lynch, as usual, and at the last second tried to break the tie and place a vote on DarkFalco (literally the last moment, 3:59 PM). She wasn’t lynched due to the doublevotes by DRTJR and JGH27, but this still looked incredibly suspicious, and made him, initially, the primary lynch target day 2. After defending himself he mentioned his computer was fucked, which it was, and stayed silent for about two dayphases until things died down (Day 2 attention was drawn off him by Relm and a couple others, as Relm drew some ire for continuing to push on DF but not be willing to vote for her, and by Avos. The Avos wagon was kind of ridiculous, as most people did so for totally wrong reasons, but I’ll get to that later. TJ didn’t do much throughout the next few phases, beyond push Warch when Warchamp made his big gambit thing, as the Coalition didn’t want to leave a Preacher around.

It was really days 9 and 10 that he became active, as the Coalition was down to two members, but by then he was struggling in almost futility, as Johnny’s gambit doomed the Coalition. He attempted to get Ansem lynched day 9 over Minby, using the logic that Ansem’s push to champion himself meant he was probably a Pawn (despite Hierophant being dead for days), or some other hostile third party. Day 10 he fought hard, I won’t comment much on that for now, but it was an honest attempt to stay afloat. His death came when the town, Snake at their head as ELoE, deemed TJ a bigger threat than Johnny and took him down day 10.

Powerwise he made two banstick kills: One when in power on smashbro, a vanilla townie and pawn of the Hierophant, and another when hostile on Relmitos, forcing the Challenge Phase. Upon Minby’s death he sacrificed the banstick kill ability for the Preach, in the hopes that he could somehow sway the remaining townies back to his side before his death. TJ was lynched mercilessly, and the Arisen Moderator, in the end, took his own life, realizing the failure, and the flaws, inherent in their mission, as he stood atop a burning Cathedral and gazed upon the corrupt decadence in their world. TJ’s play was good, if a bit inactive at first. He fought until the bitter end, as anyone should in a game like this. Nice job, TJ, thanks for playing!

SpoonMan Abrams X

Role: The Great Arbiter(Game 20)
Moderator: Omicron
(Support: Coalition)

You are Omicron Austin, closer follower of the Usurper of Heaven in his noble cause. It was you who brought back the Queen of Avalanchia, the current Preacher of the Coalition, in the hopes that she may be made to join you. It was you who ventured into the darkness of Mewtwo’s Underground beside the Usurper. And it was you who, with the Usurper, cast down that Great Negotiator, and brought your two comrades back from the dead, to at last seize the world.

You hold in your hands the power of life and death; of ephemeral life and eternal slumber. You have the ability to revive fallen players. However, this ability has a two-cycle recharge: If you use it one day, it won’t become available until two days following, for example.

When hostile:
The Arbiter would become a roleclaim punisher, gaining in power as people claimed to him, and I was tempted to allow him to Yak someone into the Coalition as well, ala Spades Slick with the Avalanchians.

I love the reviver role, especially in a game of this magnitude. The prospect of coming back from the dead makes the game exciting for the deceased, and beyond that, it gives the town a nice buffer in a game heavy on hostile factions and third parties. The role was a simple idea; able to revive the fallen, every other day. This game, the deathrate was meant to be high, and thus having this sort of buffer was absolutely critical: Both Major Factions had a reviver in their ranks. Worth noting is that the Arbiter could revive his comrades if they had been Banned (though not if they were Erased). This is a trait carried over from game 10; Moderator roles cannot be Banned, just like how mods can’t be banned on a forum. Also of note, anyone Spoon revived had their support automatically changed back to Coalition.

His hostile powers were meant to help give the Coalition a much needed boost as a mafia team; while overall they were meant to win by trying to maintain control, taking over again by force was very much possible, and the Arbiter was one of the key roles in that equation.

This was a role cut from game 6, added back to game 10, and honored here in game 20 as part of the Coalition. Storywise, Omicron (formerly Gorblax), was more or less the spiritual side of the Coalition, embodying their control over life; whereas the Arisen Moderator represented their control over death. This sort of power, this absolute authority over the irrevocable, was one of the key aspects in deifying them amongst the populace, and thus the Arbiter’s role was critical to their efforts.

Spoon really is a fun mafia player to have around; he contributed quite a lot this game, and I don’t know exactly where to start… He was kind of low activity early game, but as things went on he stepped it up dramatically. I’ve mentioned his involvement in the various shenanigans in a lot of the endgame posts so far; you need look no further than there to see how he played this. Day 1 he helped start the triple-connection between DF, Raya, and DRTJR. Day 2 he was one of the few people to realize that the vots were probably tied day 1, and thus talked some sense, really. Here he finally started to come active, and through the next few phases he more or less played really hard; textwalling all across the sky, analyzing all the shit, all of it, and often correctly; while he (alongside others, granted) voted Sonix a couple days in a row, it’s worth noting that he correctly picked up on Surge, Fed, AND smashbro as potential scum and helped push Fed’s lynch.

The day of Fed’s death he and the g10 winner got in quite a long duel after he had revived Sahrimnir in the hopes that it would free him. This was Spoon’s only power use, and likely his only mistake; as it led to Mario wasting his doublelynch and his being almost confirmed as reviver in some of the other players’ eyes. At the same time, as a side-effect of Spoon’s duel with Fed, he set himself up as a potential MB or Pawn due to his apparent defense of Sah. This then continued into another massive duel with both smashbro and Requiem day 6. Spoon managed to come on top, just barely, but the mafia detonated Requiem, causing the lynch to fall onto a new leader, Spoonman himself. The Arbiter was assassinated by the Avalanchians. While he was alive, he stood for a power beyond mortality, he was a symbol of the Coalition’s godhood. Conversely, in his death, the Coalition was made mortal; they lost that unnatural hold over existence, and were, at last, seen to be vulnerable.

In private, Spoon was one of the most active, if not THE most active, posters in the Coalition private forum. He helped to carry his team for quite a while, and had he lived a little longer, things could have gone quite differently. Overall spoon proved himself one of the key players in this entire game, and really had an impact on the course of events. He put a lot of effort into his play here, and it really showed!

Minby

Role: Preacher of the Coalition (Game 20)
Moderator: Queen Snake
(Support: Coalition*)

The former Queen of Avalanchia, you have made an indelible mark on the new regime’s success. Your figure is beautiful, terrible, an avatar of power. You, alongside the Usurper himself, are the Coalition’s public face, standing tall amidst the crowds, speaking the words of the new age, swaying the masses into your favor. You’re allowed to target one player each day, and one each night. Your epic words will sway them into supporting the Coalition if they have previously strayed.

When hostile:
The Preacher’s role doesn’t change; she remains Preacher of the Coalition.

The Preacher of the Coalition was, in my eyes, one of the more interesting characters in the story this game. I gave her quite a personality, and quite an interesting dynamic. For a little background, in Avalanchia, Raya is Avalanche’s queen. Game 10 started with the Singularity, as an experiment by Minister Minby (Manipulative_Bastard) destroyed the world, depositing them all in the Kingdom, and destabilizing the stalemate that existed, etc. Queen Raya initially tried to bring the Avalanchians back together, but Fedaykin, playing SurgePox, the original Usurper (Upriser in that game), played on her already-present disillusionment and convinced her to join the Coalition.

From there everything changed. She was critical in both their rise and near-defeat that game. This time around, Queen Snake stood as their public voice; she represented their total control over the hearts and minds of the people. She was a symbol of their corruption, their absolutism. She idolized the Usurper, and stood strongly for their cause. But she was not without doubt; she certainly remembered Avalanche, and the Kingdom they had ruled together. And in Avalanche’s final moments she definitely felt remorse, much as she attempted to mask it. It was also heavily implied in the story that she didn’t even know the Usurper had killed Peach, but either way, while she believed their cause to be just, she believed their mission to be admirable, she had great doubt.

When the Usurper was sealed away, the Coalition was left on mostly equal footing, but she took a sort of de-facto leading role, as their strongest voice. With her more or less at its head, the Coalition became a bit less… hardened, a bit less… dominating, and she gave way to her doubts a little bit, and was willing to beseech the Avalanchians to work together. Her last act was one of bitterness, an outcry against her own futility, as she saw the world collapsing around her, and her cause rent unto nothing.

Ingame, this role was obviously a critical one for the Support System. Not much more needs be described beyond that. The Preacher of the Coalition was the Preacher of the Coalition. She was allowed to pass her power on once upon death, like any other preacher, in exchange for a comrade’s ability. Minby passed it onto TJ, allowing him to sacrifice his banstick in favor of a preach.

Minby and Surge kind of went for opposite preaching approaches: Surge aimed for the less prominent players; those more likely to stay alive long, while Minby tried to get the more active players on his side. Warchamp and Snake were somewhere in between, aiming occasionally for big players but mostly going for those they suspected would survive. For all three preachers, their approaches changed a little as the game went on, but they mostly stayed true to that pattern, and each met different success. Minby successfully persuaded about four or five people back to his side, I’d have to cross-check to find the exact number as my original notes aren’t here. Either way, the support game was very close for a long time, as I’ll describe a bit later. In both Surge’s and Minby’s case, I allowed a comrade to declare the preach for them if they were inactive due to the action’s importance, probably the only time I allowed this kind of thing short of a mafia’s nightkill.

Ingame Minby played as he usually does, laying low, defending himself when necessary. He made the mistake of connecting himself to Spoon I think, but only a few people noticed this. His biggest play really came day 9 at the very last moment, and utterly decided the entire endgame single-handedly (minus everything else that had happened to that point of course). Ansem was about to he Championed and sent to fight the demon, which would have more or less set up the Avalanchians to win the game, but Minby shifted his champ vote off Ansem and onto Hudsonboy two minutes before the deadline. It was a classic fuck-you hammervote, and led to the Avalanchians losing control of the throne, thereby allowing Snake to take control on behalf of the Evil League of Evil, and bring down both major factions. Minby got his revenge, all right. He’s a player known for laying low and then making big plays, and that held true here as well. Nice move, was pretty hilarious to watch. Hope you enjoyed playing this one.

td260

Role: The Usurper of Heaven (Game 20)
Moderator: Fedaykin
(Support: Coalition^)

You were the third side in the chess match, the unseen variable in the Rising War that fell over the Kingdom. It was you, golden banstick at your side, who rose from the depths and tempered the fires of anarchy in order to champion the dawn of the new age. It was you, in the end, who struck down the Great Negotiator of Avalanchia and ushered in your era, your comrades by your side.

You are the one who holds the world, the leader of the Coalition. And you are not about to let it slip away. You have some traits of a godfather: Unlike other coalition members, if scanned, you will merely appear a regular townie, and you are immune to nightkills. Furthermore, you are a demon of a swordsman, with the strength of a rising god. Few can hope to match your prowess. If lynched, you will ban one of the people to vote for you, one of your choice. If a kill succeeds on you, you have a 1/3 chance of banning your killer in response. Like all banstick-kills, those made by you are unblockable and entirely irrevocable.

Also, a word of caution: While you may have some properties of a bomb, it is in your best interests to remain alive, as while you sit atop the gilded throne, wresting control from the Coalition will be no mean feat.

When hostile:
The Usurper of Heaven would not have any change in power when hostile.

Here we go. The Usurper of Heaven, winner of game 10, bane of Princess Peach (NPC), Matt Mercer (the Admin), Minby_Aran (the MB), and Quaetam (the Great Negotiator). Fedaykin was the man behind the demise of the old Kingdom, the man behind the Rising War, the man who had engineered the revolution and ascended to seize his golden throne. He and his comrades lay in the shadows, allowing the world to destabilize, so they could strike down their enemies one by one and ascend to take the throne. The Coalition’s plan was brilliant; for they were the ones who CAUSED the entire Rising War. They, working from the shadows, pit their foes against each other gradually, without allowing them to be aware of their true emenies. Indeed, the Coalition was not known to be the cause of the Rising War until Day 8 Game 20, six and a half months after the war had come to a close, for such had been their plan: not to directly rise, but to emerge from seemingly nothing as the world erupted into chaos around them.

Both in Game 10 and here, the Usurper was an unstoppable force, an irascible, inescapable, unrelenting monster, his intelligence, cunning, and determination an iron wall against which his opponents dashed themselves. And none could stand against him. In the three months following the Rising War that was the revolution of Game 10, Fedaykin purged the survivors of all those who were “unfit”… all those who he could see standing against him. He held the populace in an iron fist… The Usurper was the embodiment of the Coalition’s deification, just as the Arbiter represented their dominance over life, the executioner their control over death, the Preacher their power over the hearts and minds of the people. Fedaykin was the man who stood as the epitome of godhood, a paradigm of a regime that had ascended beyond the normal bounds of mortality.

And, in character, he was a badass. He was confident, powerful, unwavering, and nigh-on unbeatable. The Usurper held his dream for a new age, for godhood, with highest regard, and worked ardently towards it, with no tolerance for dissenters. He was untouchable atop his great throne… first appearing to give a speech and walk calmly away as his word was carried out, then to watch, unblinking, as GreenArcher was cut down attempting to reach him... It took the Hierophant to finally get him to stand, to draw a blade, though not his banstick; Quaetam managed to goad him into fighting on even terms. Even then he was untouchable. Undefeatable. Standing utterly apart from the people he ruled, inspiring in them fear, intimidation, and respect, he was a wall, holding strong in the face of others’ ambitions, maintaining his power with confidence, determination, and the power to back up both.

Ingame, the main idea with the Usurper, rolewise, was exactly as described, both a badass and a powerful figure, a man made god… while he was alive, it would be incredibly hard for the Coalition to lose control (as he was a leader, and in power, thereby worth 4 support). The people saw him as indefatigable, and while he was in place any hope seemed worlds away. Furthermore, as he was so powerful, he was hard to kill, and anyone who did take him down would likely die with him.

Td played the role very well. Day 2, after guessing Requiem was scum (a correct assessment, but done for all the wrong reasons), td spent a good deal of time contemplating the nolynch, and then guessed AVOS was scum, also for all the wrong reasons Razz. His logic was that Avos couldn’t have possibly known DRTJR’s role without being on a team with him, especially since he acknowledged Camilla was an Avalanchian Minister and thus potential scum; the problem was that due to the nature of the allstar round, it’s not too hard to deduce… Weldar had done exactly this day 1. The issue lay in his conviction; Avos approached it in a very convinced manner which threw some people off. This was the start of the Avos bandwagon, culminating in the poor guy’s lynch, eliminating Kirby from the game.

From here he stayed a little quiet for a few phases, picking up his activity as the game went on. Day 7 a lot of his focus went towards discrediting Warchamp… Then Day 8… Day 8 saw all the big players, the big roles, pulling out all the stops and just going at it. Relmitos and td pushed hard on Surge (td because he genuinely suspected Surge, and Relmitos because he knew Surge was one of his targets, and likely Avalanche). Surge gave td a lot of pressure, though most was directed towards Relmitos.

Then he was thrown in a vortex with Mario; Relmitos used the idea that he could take down the already-suspicious Surge with logic (which he knew wouldn’t be easy), and then shit hit the fan as he threw his other two targets into a vortex, knowing it would result in the death of the Usurper. The phase devolved into two simultaneous duels: a massive textwall-war between Relmitos and SurgePox, and a series of short exchanges between td and Snake. Td’s argument essentially amounted to “I am the Usurper, if I die Avalanchia will take over, and furthermore Snake is probably the new Evil Leader of Evil”. Snake determined that in no way would I put the fate of the town in one role (while fully knowing that td was talking about the support system). He also fakeclaimed a second revive, which made saving him seem more worthwhile.

Ultimately, td’s arguments actually held water to a lot of people, but they were prevented from switching by about two things: First, Snake’s claim to have another life. Second, the fact that the vast majority of the players Saving Snake were scum, be it Demon, ELoE, or Avalanchian. Both argued well, but in the end, Snake took it. Votes began to switch towards the end as Surge pointed out the idea of tying the vote, but Snake correctly deduced that it would have killed both of the people trapped.

The Usurper was, despite his fanatical devotion to his own godhood, out for the good of the world; his goal was to build a Utopia, not to simply crush the people beneath his iron fists. Ultimately, his exit was a nod to his character; recognizing in Mario the best chance to save the people, and allowing him to leave the vortex in the Usurper’s stead. It was badass, and simultaneously a nod to his true character. Td actually fit the role’s nature quite well; he took a while to start up this game, but ultimately was one of the key players, as the role demanded.

Coalition Private Forum:
The Bastion of the Coalition

The Evil League of Evil

Warchamp7

Role: Evil Leader of Evil (Game 20)
Alignment: Evil League of Evil
Forumer: SnakeInABox
(Support: Evil League of Evil*^)

You are SnakeInABox. You are a cardboard-dwelling badass, former Minister of Theatre, bent on the utter destruction of Avalanchia. Unfortunately, it seems someone has inadvertently beaten you to it. Avalanchia has been destroyed. Now you find yourself here, in the Mushroom Kingdom, the world under the control of four rising angels, the Coalition.

Yet your dream hasn’t entirely failed, not yet. For the King of Avalanchia still lives, and he seeks to reclaim the world to establish a new Kingdom. And now, now your comrades have not survived. You are alone: You have to finish the job. It is you who must rid the world of God Emperor King Roy Avalanche I, once and for all. He and his supporters must fall.

But that isn’t enough, no. For the throne must be yours for you to truly be victorious. And while the Upriser sits atop his lofty perch, this victory can’t be realized. All townies currently support the Coalition. It is your goal to change this. Every day and every night you can target someone. They will be convinced to support your cause. Note that you are not a traditional cultist. All townies, regardless of whether they support the Coalition or the Evil League of Evil, are still townies.

If enough of the surviving players have joined the Evil League of Evil, the ruling party will be overthrown, and you will become a townie, able to win alongside them, although you will still lose if you do not hold majority at the end of the game. At this point your goal, and that of the entire town, will be simple: To eliminate both the Coalition and the forces of King Avalanche from the game, winning alongside the town.

It’s a hard task, but for one as badass as yourself, no obstacle is too hard to overcome. This is the moment you’ve been waiting for. If you can rise above the rising angels, and if you can cast down the King of the fallen kingdom, the world will be yours.

If you die, you may choose one player from a list of current Evil Leaguers to take up your cause.

When ousted:
No more will you lay in the shadows; the throne was in your grasp, and you let it slip away. The time had come to fight, to kill until none stand in your path! You now have nightly killing powers.

I couldn’t not have this role. I just couldn’t. It was probably one of my most favorite roles this game, hands down. Initially when I came up with the setup idea, the Support System was the first thing I conceived. In its first iteration, this consisted of having the Coalition in power and a third party role out to overthrow them. Then I thought of the idea of two regimes, vying for control; of having the MAFIA actually able to seize power, and the Factions setup came into play. But just having two sides able to take control? That would be too simple. There had to be a third. There is ALWAYS a third. Enter the Evil League of Evil, perfectly primed in flavor for this idea. It fit so beautifully; the Avalanchians are on a crusade to take down the Coalition, but the Evil League, itself not as evil as its name suggests, is out to kill King Avalanche and usurp his throne… and to do that would also have to go through the Coalition.

The Minor Faction worked as I described in the support system: Initially a harmless third party out to seize control, the ELoE would oust BOTH the Coalition and New Kingdom if in power. Not mentioned to Warchamp or Snake, had he been in power and then lost it, or had it become impossible for him to seize control, OR had he been preached to by King Avalanche I believe, he would have gained killing powers, and been, effectively, a second SK as well as a Preacher. This was in place to balance out his role, which really was one of the harder ones this game, though not the hardest out there.

SnakeInABox, in flavor, worked as the ELoE SIAB does in Avalanchia; through stealth, cunning, and crazy gambits that sometimes work quite well. He was a character depicted as actually having arrived in the Singularity that began Game 10, but laid low, because he knew that he would likely fail if he attempted to seize control in the chaos that was the Rising War. He bode his time, waiting, preparing, slowly gathering support, and when Avalanche arrived following the world-splitting Tempest, he had seen new purpose, new drive, new vigor in his quest. Yet still Snake lay low, stayed quiet, and gathered support, allowing Avalanche to wage his war for him, waiting to make his big play.

I don’t think anyone can question that Warchamp fit this role to the letter. Looking at his play this game, he did very little through the early-midgame. Day 5 he caused a bit of a stir by creating a list judging people for their activity levels, partly to help try to steer the town’s attention, I believe. He became a bit more prominent day 6 in pursuing the Manipulative_Bastard, but beyond that, he lay low, just as the character was designed to storywise.

Then Day 7, perfectly en lieu of Snake’s character, he made a big play, a final play. Warchamp had guessed that people who had been recruited to might get messages, and noticed Camilla’s comment in-thread about getting a cyan colored message from earlier, so he asked me if people are told they’re recruited, to which I said they’re not told explicitly (which is the same response I gave other faction players who asked). He then proceeded to attempt to break the game, which was very amusing to watch; trying to deduce who was scum by determining who had been sent a message. To an extent it was successful, however upon Warchamp’s death he swiftly realized how many other things were at play; a vast number of his recruits were no longer with him, including some he was sure were in his Support. This was because a number of things can interfere with the recruiting/message process, as indicated in my mechanics post (the demon visiting, Mario blocking… the list goes on).

Funny thing about that phase/gambit: both Surge and Td thought Warchamp was Preacher for the opposing faction before the flip. This led both the Avalanchians and Coalition to speak out strongly against him, and thus to his lynch as many people followed big-name players such as td and surge in their condemnations, not to mention the simple fact that it seemed popular opinion was against him. He was painted as a cult leader as the other factions tried to use fear tactics and conveniently ignore part of his logic in the hopes of turning the town on him. It worked. Either way, Warchamp’s lynch wasn’t a failure of everyone to see his logic, except to a small degree. Many found him genuinely scummy, but a large part of the opposition in-thread was prompted by a couple faction members coming up with seemingly-logical arguments against him (arguments that ignored a lot of his logic), and then others following.

Even though the gambit itself largely failed it still helped draw attention towards Surge AND td260, who then proceeded to duke it out the next day. Several scum players were brought into slight attention by this gambit, though mostly among the factions (the Coalition had a better, though not concrete, idea of who the Avalanchians were, and vice versa). It literally changed the course of the game, putting much more pressure on the Avalanchians and Coalition. Also, through Warchamp’s death, he passed the role onto SnakeInABox, literally the perfect, and most ironic, choice.

Upon his lynch, the Evil Leader made his final play, his last act. For even if his motivation was truly to rule the world, his desire to kill the corrupt, to purge the filth that was the Avalanchians, the Coalition, and to free the people from them stood paramount. He martyred himself; the people, having already been reawakened by the Hierophant’s sacrifice, having become aware of the mortality of their foes, were given strength and determination by his words, and at last rallied against the Coalition, and marched to war. Warchamp, after making a rather awesome play, martyred himself, both ingame and in character, to help bring down the Avalanchians, and passed his job onto his successor, in full confidence that he would be able to finish the job.

Also, day 7 seems to always be the day warchamp dies, and one of the days shit really goes down, in allstar games, though here day 8 beat it...

SnakeInABox

Role: Town Leader Evil Successor of Evil (Game 16)
Character: Mario
Alignment: Town -> Evil League of Evil
(Support: Coalitionx2 -> Evil League of Evilx2 -> Coalition, Avalanchia -> Evil League of Evilx2 -> Evil League of Evilx2(*))
Ability: Role-Block ~ You patrol the area to intimidate people that you find suspicious from doing anything at night. You may pick one target each night phase.

This Kingdom has gone to shit. The gods stand above you, preaching the cause of some "new age". Who says there's no room for heroes anymore? War has erupted, and you've had it with sitting still as friends die around you. You're an inspiring figure, a leader to the Natives. You may, beyond your roleblocking skills, only once in the game, call for a doublelynch, provided the top two targets are tied or only two votes apart.

Also, old guns never go down easy. As you carry a 1-up shroom wherever you go, you will survive the first attempt to kill you, be it by lynch or by nightkill.

Super Fucking Mario. He didn’t show his face game 10, nor did Luigi, so I had both star prominently here. Their states at the start of the game were more or less an exaggeration of their conditions at the start of TWBB: Disillusioned, quiet, content to simply survive, to live… For Luigi, he saw the need to continue a business of trafficking and under-the-table deals, not proud of his job, but aware it was all he could do. He saw the world how it truly was, he yearned for change, but more than anything else he did what he could to try to survive. He wasn’t one to stand against the Coalition, against the Avalanchians. But he was one to try to save the Kingdom in the face of the Demon, certainly. And he was one to look out for his brother. He was one to take care of Mario in his disillusionment, just as he did in TWBB. Here, however, the Kingdom had fallen further, and so, accordingly, had the two Mario Brothers fallen from grace.

For Mario had dived into despair at the loss of his beloved Peach, the loss of the Kingdom he had fought for so hard, for so long. He had seen the world collapse, and had been helpless to stop it. So he had drowned himself in alcohol, in depression, taken to wandering the streets aimlessly at night, seeking thrills, or perhaps even death. He still cared about the Kingdom, but saw no point in fighting. He still cared about the world, about the people, but had lost all will to live, all will to continue on and protect them. He was lost, alone, without anything to hold dear.

But as the game progressed, they became aware of the corruption of the world, of the need for change, the need to fix the land they cared for. For Mario, it took the words of SnakeInABox, Evil Leader, to revitalize him, to give him the hope to lead the newly inspired people against their oppressors. When Avalanche stood at the edge of the square, and condemned the Usurper as the man who had killed Peach, Mario at last snapped, charged the oppressor, and the Coalition was driven out of power as the Demon struck Day 8, and the people at last saw hope. The duel with the Usurper changed him; as the Usurper saw in him the strength of a true hero, and abdicated his position as god of the new world in order to allow Mario the chance to save the Kingdom.

And save it he did.

As Luigi was shot, and lay wounded, dying, in his brother’s arms, Mario rose, the people standing around him. Link regained his courage and rallied to Mario, at last understanding that the cycle had to be broken. And when all their foes had been driven away, when Camilla had defeated the final moderator, when Mario had raised a fucking army, and Link had followed through, when they had struck down Viero and eliminated the Avalanchians, once and for good… Luigi died, and Mario, on the verge of despair, was given the crown of the Kingdom…

But did he seize it? Did he become the god of the new world, like the Usurper before him? No. He struck it, smote it to bits, for the people did not need a god, but a hero, and that hero he would become.

This role was submitted by Avos from Game 16, the TWBB sequel, and given more power to fit his role here; as an influential figure, he was worth double support, and anyone he visited at night could not be Preached to successfully. (save those he preached of course). His roleblock worked as usual, and finally, he was given a doublelynch, which, when used, would bypass any present executioner. Technically, if multiple people were tied, I'd have lynched all of them, but I chose to not mention that. The second life was given to allow him to persist slightly, protecting one of the town's more important roles. Since it was not a Revive, but rather a 'second life', he could survive any level of kill short of banishment (as that simply removes him from the game completely). Because of this, he could also technically come back to life twice if someone revived him after his second death, unless he was banned or higher on the degrees of death spectrum. Mario was thus a powerful role for the town, very anchored in his abilities, and capable of helping them in drastic ways.

Snake played a valiant game, and fully deserved the win he got. His gameplay started a little slow, but quickly it became apparent that he was willing to put every ounce of his effort into this, and it really, really showed. It really starts with Days 2 and 3... The mafia decided to spontmode him day 2, and when he was hilarious, they decided to hit him with it again day 3 for fun (though I seem to remember his reputation played in there of course). Each day, he stayed within the rules and acted totally crazy, batshit insane, and utterly hilarious, examples being here, here, here, here, and here. There are a lot more, of course... essentially, snake's strategy here was to act crazy and poke slightly at various players, and gauge their reactions to determine what he felt their alignments were. This was still within the grounds of spontmode, I felt, as he wasn't attempting to speak in code, but was still using it for himself; more or less he just acted crazy and kept switching up who he directed it towards. Unfortunately for him, this failed to produce many accurate results, but I still found it a very entertaining use of spontmode.

Day 3, he was killed by the Hand of God, as GreenArcher was given a voidblade, which she used to take down Snake. He was erased in the attack, making the Demon aware of another target. Yet this simultaneously confirmed him, allowing him to take a much mroe active role in thread upon his return to life the next day.

Anyways, beyond this, his next big play was to use his doublelynch very effectively, forcing a tie between Fedaykin and Sahrimnir Day 4, taking down both a Pawn and an Avalanchian. Subsequently, he was one of the few non-hostiles to actually realize Sonix had softclaimed cop, and thus dissuaded others from pressing him on it (yes, this tipped the Avalanchians off as well, but at least got attention off of him in-thread, helping the town be more productinve). From here, however, he went quiet, and purposefully so, as he realized he was on a completely wrong trail. Snake went quiet and waited for people to continue playing, reassessing everything... when we met in August, he showed me his lists of peoples' alignments and whatnot that he had come up with. It was impressive, although only partially accurate.

After Day 7, Warchamp chose Snake as the Evil Leader of Evil both for the irony factor and the knowledge that Snake was highly confirmed. Snake was entirely unsurprised, and initially worried, but then realized the position he was in (leading his own Evil League in a mafia allstar game, as Super Mario, ready to take it all. So he settled on a 'fuck yes' and played hard come day 8... ...as he had to, for he was thrown into a vortex with td260, the Usurper of Heaven. The duel they fought was one of the strangest I've seen on a forum mafia game, consisting almost exclusively of small comments thrown back and forth, each combatant highly reactive in fighting off the others'. Snake fought against td's strategy by pointing out that I wouldn't put the town's entire life in the hands of one man, and simultaneously continuing to focus on his own skills as a player, his own status as a confirmed roleblocker, and td's role being potetially harmful in some way (in doing so, he was, of course, conveniently glossing over td's repeated attempts to indicate that Snake was a likely mafian/ELoE at this choice due to the presence of Warchamp's role, as well as the modkilled Spades Slick). He also did something very clever: claiming to have a second 1-up shroom, and that were the town to save TD, it would be futile, as td would just die in the night, while Snake would be able to survive any attempt on his life. All of this factored into Snake's vortex triumph, as did the desire of multiple scum players to get the Usurper of Heaven out of the way (which contributed to Snake's triumph and td's downfall here, just as the fear of the other recruiter had contributed to Warchamp's death day 7). Snake also correctly deduced that a tie in the save vote would doom both in the vortex, and thus saved his life.

Post day 8, there isn't as much to talk about; Snake maintained his guise as a townie until the last moment. He helped to thwart Johnny's gambit by playing dumb and casually not really paying attention to what Johnny was saying (again, Johnny's gambit followed the same theme as almost all others this game: purposefully ignored by those who didn't want it to succeed, resulting in Johnny himself feeling people were being idiots until he realized the truth). Then, when hudson was championed and Snake took control, the game was in the bag. TJ put up one last fight day 10, and once the Coalition had fallen, and the Avalanchians were doomed via the aftermath of Johnny's gambit, delivering the Kingdom into Snake's hands.

His play was not perfect, no. But in this game, is anyone's? Snake made mistakes early on, sure, but used his powers when they counted, capitalized on his own position perfectly, worked around his mistakes and did not relent... If he fucked up, he corrected his playing from then on, and improved upon it. This was classic SnakeInABox at its finest; with each step he continued to push towards his goals, despite every obstacle. He deserved this win in every sense of the word. Great job, buddy, and thanks for playing, man. It was great to see you in this role, in this game.

Last edited by Quaetam on Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:05 pm; edited 2 times in total

Quaetam
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SnakeInABox on Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:12 pm

This was an amazing game to be a part of. It topped 10 halfway through, and some of the situations we put ourselves in, like Day 8, were fucking unforgettable. Thanks for the game

SnakeInABox
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SurgePox on Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:07 pm

Now that all the supports are on the table, do you think you could tell us how that whole thing panned out?

smashbro wrote:another_smash_brother: Imma love my pokemanz
another_smash_brother: thay pwn bitches
another_smash_brother: thats when they ride on bitches

SurgePox
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Quaetam on Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:15 pm

Honestly, the support-changes I listed might not be totally accurate as the master excel sheet that had all the actions is currently lost, and I'm going based off whatever else I might have on file (notes, PMs, you name it), so I'll try my best, but it could be a little inaccurate.

EDIT: Also, Eisen, the cryptic messages were the things you received upon being targeted by a Preacher and having your Support chagne.

Quaetam
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fedaykin on Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:32 am

Has anybody else noticed, that every Q-hosted game ended with an unsuspected 3rd party winning?

Fedaykin
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Weldar on Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:10 am

Hey now, you can hardly call these last two unsuspected. I told everyone about the coalition . And this one definitely wasn't, Warchamp himself told you about himself and that he'd leave a successor. You guys get plenty of warnings, you just suck at actually dealing with them (though the ELoE was not even any sort of threat that needed dealing with for the town, unless you were coalition)

I'm not a Vacuum!
[quote="Quaetman"]

Weldar
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Quaetam on Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:12 am

To expand a little, I don't even fully classify the ELoE as third party, just as how the Coalition and Avalanchians could not be truly classified as town or mafia, really. They were close to it, but I find that the nature of the role was too rooted into the system itself, too core to the equation. The only distinguishing factor was the slight advantage of stealth, which, when compared to the odds against the Evil League (being a one man team, having no kill power when hostile save in certain conditions), was more than fair.

And the Evil League's triumph here was one rooted in everything from luck to the skill of its leaders. The setup really wasn't geared towards them at all; the boons they had received were very insignificant compared to the major factions. Snake had to overcome the vortex day 8, then had to deal with the Avalanchians being in near-total control... had Minby not switched the vote onto hudson, he'd have probably lost. Hell, the Coalition actually had a good chance to still take this home after the Usurper's death, had they not chosen to ban Relmitos night 8, noticing the Demon was a really obvious lynch target for day 9 anyways. A lot of things factored into the ELoE's win, and I think all those in the know will attest that the nature of the setup really wasn't one of them.

Also you seem to be forgetting the town's win in all this Razz

Quaetam
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SnakeInABox on Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:59 am

Quaetam wrote:A lot of things factored into the ELoE's win, and I think all those in the know will attest that the nature of the setup really wasn't one of them.

Oh most definitely. We had a lot of odds against us too. My losing my life early in the game, Mario being a target of The Demon, that damned Vortex, The demon, a few other things

SnakeInABox
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Minby_Aran on Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:10 am

Buuuuuuuuuuuuut, I saved the game for you, and would make that same move again, because I did not want Avalanchia to win.

Minby_Aran
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile http://valiant-brawlers.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post  Relmitos on Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:08 pm

SnakeInABox wrote:
Quaetam wrote:A lot of things factored into the ELoE's win, and I think all those in the know will attest that the nature of the setup really wasn't one of them.

Oh most definitely. We had a lot of odds against us too. My losing my life early in the game, Mario being a target of The Demon, that damned Vortex, The demon, a few other things

Oh come off it. If you think about it, everything I did as the demon actually helped you win. Sure, I used Hand of God and killed you with it, but what did that do? You lost your extra life early, sure, but what did you gain? Confirmation that you were a townie. Being a confirmed townie helped you NOT ONLY get out of that 'damned vortex' alive (again, because I got you killed via Hand of God, and that extra life that you would've had, had Hand of God not killed you, wouldn't have meant anything had you been the one chosen to die via vortex), I also wiped out the coalition leader, who was immune to night kills and had the backing of other players to help him get out of a bind, while simultaneously getting king avalanche hung that same day phase. The big bad demon helped you.

You can ask Q; the MOMENT you got revived because of that damned one up I told him "fuck.....I'm not making it to stage two", and I didn't. I don't think I could've gotten you hung, and for some god awful reason the mafs didn't think killing you again was a good idea.

Relmitos
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Quaetam on Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:04 pm

Well, like I said, there was certainly luck involved, but you do have to keep in mind, Relmitos, that Snake wasn't NK immune. Chances are he'd have been targeted sometime before Day 8. Furthermore, you didn't discover he was a target until the Hand of God hit him Razz Yes, being confirmed helped, but I'm willing to bet someone would have confirmed him one way or another by the time day 8 rolled around. While ultimately your actions did help the Evil League, make no mistake, you were quite a threat to everyone this game, as the remaining posts will elaborate on.

Quaetam
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:12 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top