TWBB Mafia Game 20: Those who Challenge Fate-ENDGAME-A Kingdom Worth Living For (Thread 2)

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: TWBB Mafia Game 20: Those who Challenge Fate-ENDGAME-A Kingdom Worth Living For (Thread 2)

Post  Doctor Shulk on Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:53 pm

Relmitos wrote:I wouldn't call it wasted. We enjoy playing the games and he enjoys hosting them. I have told him a few times that he should write books or something though.

I was just kidding. But yes, he really should.

Doctor Shulk
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile http://gangreldorf.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: TWBB Mafia Game 20: Those who Challenge Fate-ENDGAME-A Kingdom Worth Living For (Thread 2)

Post  SpoonMan Abrams X on Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:59 pm

Relmitos wrote:
Spontaneous Combustion wrote:- There are three cults*
- Everyone who gets lynched gets an entire novel as their death post
- Mafia, townies, masons, cultists and third parties all get royally fucked in the ass by an evil chessmaster role nobody sees coming
- Said role will be played by SnakeInABox
Just pointing out how true this was. *Support system withstanding, lol

SpoonMan Abrams X
Dedede's Enforcer

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/LePieLives

Back to top Go down

Critical Game Mechanics

Post  Quaetam on Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:53 pm

Important Game Mechanics:

Alright, I’ve decided to do this post first. This game very much went beyond the normal setup of alignment, power, role title/character, and added some nice mechanics to the mix. By mechanics, I mean systems put in place that added extra layers of complexity to the game. Take Minby’s Evolution mechanic from game 12, for example. That sort of thing. This game had a lot of layers I had to actually go back and check my notes to make sure I wasn’t forgetting, to be honest, but these were the three of import. While I will still do a nice post at the end of the postgame to summarize story concept/ideas + interesting facts and minor mechanics, there are a few that would be impossible to understand the setup without.

I’m going to start with the two least important, but still cool, ones, then go onto two dealing with lynches and death respectively, and leave the big game-changer for last.

First and foremost:

Evolution!

That’s right, I DID have an Evolution mechanic, almost identical to that of Minby’s game: If a Pokemon role killed someone, they would evolve, giving them greater powers and a new character as appropriate. This would occur if they nightkilled someone, or if they were the first person to vote on them, and that person was lynched. It affected roles from BOTH Game 12-The Very Best AND Game 18-Affiliations 2. Evolution would FAIL if they died at the same time (Sahrimnir and Fed’s doublelynch being the archetype).

This added a nice layer of complexity to the game that didn’t unbalance things at all, buuut would make things interesting, as a nice surprise, to any pokemon trainer role. I also thought it would be a nice tribute to Minby’s game, essentially. Game 12 had a few issues (the role that could protect EVERYTHING, the no-reveals on lynch), but I thought the evolution mechanic itself was quite good, and brought it into the all-star round. Keeping it hidden helped balance it a lot, as it wouldn’t be quite as explicit in revealing peoples’ roles.

Overall this was a nice touch, only came into play once, as Sahrimnir (Happy Guy with a Seedot), while leading a lynch against Fedaykin, was taken down by a lynch them both power that dayphase. It had an effect when Camilla led the lynch against TheTJ, last of the Coalition, on D10-The Blade that Scarred the World. However, at that point, it wasn’t exactly relevant; Camilla didn’t even act with her new power, as the game was, well, totally over Razz.

God Tiering!

Yep, another mechanic meant as a nod to one of the Season 2 games. This was a cool mechanic inherited from Game 14-Homestuck. Essentially if a Homestuck character were revived by any means, he or she would go god-tier, gaining a much more powerful ability. The exception was Spades Slick, as he’s not a Sburb/Sgrub player.

I don’t have as much to say about this mechanic, unfortunately, because it never got to happen; it affected only two roles, from only one game, and both did not have the chance to return: Weldar was unblockable-killed by Quaetman (played by hudsonboy111) on Night 1, and Omicron was modkilled later. They were the only two who this could happen to, so it didn’t really get to happen.

Executioners!

This game, the lynch was actually driven by a faction, rather than communal; essentially, this was a verrry subtle difference to the regular lynch, and only came into effect in relation to one party: If the Coalition was in power, they’d preform the lynch. If the Avalanchians were in power, they’d do it. If the Evil League of Evil was in power, they would be the ones to pull the lever. This really mattered only in one case: For the Coalition, while they were in power, any lynch they performed would be by banstick if the Arisen Moderator was alive.

However, it becomes complicated, because there were exceptions: If a Pokemon character led a lynchvote, they would be the one to perform the lynch, and would evolve as described above. If Mario used his lynchthemboth, he would be the one to perform the lynch, overriding the conditions for the other party. The Ascendant Demon’s powers were all over this: “Call the Tempest” would cause the demon to make the kill, “Miasma” would more or less do this as well, ALTHOUGH if the Coalition was in power, the first-place lynchee would be banned. “Dimensional Vortex” would cause its victim to be sealed away. Also, the final of the Demon’s targets would be erased by the Demon if it was alive, and the Challenge Phase was up in the air, and had no true theme; I allowed that to happen however it fit best.

Also of note, if a faction was in power, and one of their members were lynched, with the exception of the Avalanchian traitor, the lynch would be performed by the primary opposing faction. The archetype for this is Spoon’s death: He died because Johnny detonated Requiem, leaving Spoonman as the guy with the most votes, causing his lynch. As Spoony was Coalition, I had the Avalanchians kill him.

Finally, were it King Avalanche being lynched with the Avalanchians in power, the Evil Leader would preform the lynch, rather than a Coalitionist. Were it the Usurper who was lynched, whoever the Usurper marked for death would lead the lynch. Were the Hierophant lynched, he would die in an attempt to kill the leader of the ruling party; this I had planned from the beginning, regardless of what happened. Were Kirby lynched, he would vanish rather than be killed normally.

Much of this came into effect purely for the sake of story, but at the same time it had a very significant impact, as it would determine how exactly someone died. Which, as described in the next section, is highly relevant.

Degrees of Death!

Like Game 10-Why We Don’t Divide by Zero before it, this game did not simply label players “alive” or “dead”. Rather, mortality was a bit of a scale: Dependent on how someone died, by what means, etc, their death condition was slightly different:

Level 1: “killed”

This was the default death. If someone was killed by someone else, they would be unable to post/vote, couldn’t act, did not count towards their faction’s majority, had no support value, etc. All the things you could expect out of a mafia game. They COULD, however, be death-talked to, have their power borrowed, be coroner-scanned, or, most importantly, be revived.

That said, people who had already been revived once could not be brought back again. I was contemplating allowing a different reviver to bring them back but defaulted to not allowing it for now, and the issue didn’t come up anyways so I had not yet decided. Mario was the only character who could come back twice, as he had a second life, and then could be revived.

Also of note, IF a Manipulative Bastard’s pawn was revived, it would remain under his control, meaning he’d have multiple pawns, though he could not pick a new pawn until all were dead. If the MB was killed and his pawn revived later, the pawn would be freed. I didn’t tell this to the pawns, as that would break the game if they knew.

Level 2: “banned”

Banned referred to unblockable-killing by banstick. This could happen through the Arisen Mod’s power (making lynch irrevocable; having unblockable nightkills), through the Usurper’s kill, OR if Kirby absorbed the Arisen Mod’s power, if Natu took the Arisen Mod’s or Usurper’s power, OR if Amaterasu wished herself a banstick. If the Req role managed an unblockable kill it could be a banning. IF the Usurper was ‘championed’, he would ban the Ascendant Demon.

Banning, as in any other game it has appeared, was unblockable and irrevocable by ALMOST any means.

The exceptions to the unblockable clause were that the Ascendant Demon would not die, but would enter the Challenge Phase, if the Ascendant Demon used “Call the Tempest” it would stop all night actions, including unblockable kills, and if anyone used a commuter power to be UNTARGETABLE for the night, they could not be hit.

The exceptions to the irrevocable clause were that Moderators, once more, could not be banned: IF somehow a Coalitionist was banned, they could still be revived, and Mario’s second life allowed him to come back regardless, as he isn’t being REVIVED, but rather has ‘another life’. Amaterasu could also grant herself or someone else a second life, if only for one full cycle. Kirby could do the same if he had Amaterasu’s power.

Level 3: “championed”

This referred to whoever was sent to fight the Ascendant Demon as a result of the Challenge Phase. Essentially, whoever was picked would be ‘erased’ by Qod’s fury (see below), with the exception of the Usurper of Heaven, the Forsaken King, and Mario, all of whom would survive.

Level 4: “erased”

Unblockable kills made in other ways. Quaetman’s kills were erasures, the Demon’s kills were erasures if he became a SK (all of Qod’s POWERS were erasures too). Kirby could erase if he had the right power, if the Requiem role managed an unblockable kill, he could erase. Amaterasu, if wishing for an unblockable, would do this by default (if she wished for a banstick she’d get a banstick kill) This is above Level 2 and 3 solely because it would be irrevocable even for moderators and the Demon's targets. Everything else is identical; Mario and Amaterasu could still escape, as could Kirby with the right power.

Level 5: “sealed away” / “banished” / “vanished”

Could only occur in the following ways: The demon’s vortex would seal someone away, if ANYONE but the USURPER fought the Demon he would be banished. Upon Kirby’s death he would vanish regardless. The Requiem role, if making an unblockable kill, could be this if the person was clever. It was more serious than erasure in that it represented someone being removed from the world completely; essentially they were not dead, but were out of the game. Mario’s second life no longer was an exception, nor was Amaterasu’s power.

Level 6: “modkilled”

Completely and utterly gone, treated as if no longer part of the game. If you’re modkilled, you cannot come back in any way, and can no longer win the game. Used only for inactivity or rulebreaking.

So yeah, there you go, everyone. That’s a comprehensive explanation of the different levels of death in my game! Many of you were wondering if it was all fancy flavor or if it had an impact… well, it really wasn’t just flavor. The deaths were done in an organized manner; I had balance in mind when I set up this mechanic, as with the others. Overall it added a nice layer of depth and complexity to the game… though, frankly, not many people fully grasped it, if any, simply because I didn’t intend to explain it until now Razz

Finally, last but most importantly, we have:

The Support System!

This was without question the biggest hidden mechanic in place, unique to this game. Much of the game was balanced AROUND this mechanic; the entire game in fact had to take this system into account during its balancing, as this affected almost every aspect of it. It took a while for me to explain to those involved, so bear with me while I attempt to repeat the task here Razz

As hinted at in the opening post, and described openly to all three factions, there were two battles being fought here. One for direct dominance, by force; for control of the Kingdom. Another for the hearts and minds of the people, through words, through preaching and persuasion. This game had no mafia! Rather, there were three political factions, three opposing regimes that were vying for control of the Kingdom, either through majority in the typical style of the mafia, or by winning over the town through support. Votes and lynches were used to directly fight for the Kingdom, while Support was used to try to win the people over.a

The setup:
Every role has an Alignment, just like usual. That Alignment is used to determine win condition, to delegate the results of copscans, etc. It worked entirely as normal, with no changes. However, every role also has a Support. This condition was hidden from all players at the start of the game. Support has absolutely no bearing on Alignment, but is used to indicate which faction the given character would prefer in power. The only connection between support and Alignment is that the four Coalitionists, the Evil Leader of Evil, as well as every Avalanchian, would PERMANENTLY support their own faction, with the exception of the traitor, who would have support as usual until he joined Avalanchia. Those with Alignment: Avalanchia would ALWAYS support Avalanchia; those with Alignment: Coalition, would ALWAYS support the Coalition, he with Alignment: Evil League of Evil would ALWAYS support the Evil League. At the start of the game, EVERYONE ELSE supported the Coalition

Support, as you’ve probably guessed, was indicated by the color of alignment on death. Cyan is Coalition support. Dark Red is Avalanchia support. Light red is Evil League support. Black is NO support.

How the system worked:

The goal of each faction was to attain, and MAINTAIN, majority + n support, where n = the number of times the flip has occurred.

Whichever faction the most players supported at the end of a phase would be in control of the Kingdom, and be considered masons. The other two factions would be treated as hostile mafias.

So, while the Coalition was in control, the Avalanchians were a mafia, and the ELoE a renegade third party (he could get SK powers in a few ways, I’ll describe that later). While the Avalanchians were in control, the Coalition was a mafia, and the ELoE a third party. If the Evil League was in control, BOTH the Coalition and the Avalanchians would be mafias, so technically the Evil League being in control made things MUUUCH harder for the town.

To assist with this, every faction had one role dubbed a Leader, and one role designated a Preacher.

The Preacher I’ll address first: the job of each preacher was to target one player each day, and one each night (so, two per full cycle). That player, if possible, would have their Support changed to whatever faction the Preacher belonged to. So, if the Preacher of the Coalition targeted, say, Ansem (as Ansem was townie), if Ansem supported Avalanchia, his Support would be changed to Coalition. His Alignment WOULD NOT CHANGE. This was how factions could seize control; by attempting to preach to enough players that they would gain majority.

At the start of the game, every single role supports the Coalition, as they are in power. The exceptions are the Evil Leader, the Avalanchians, and the Demon, who permanently has NO support. This means out of the 27 roles that DID have support, the ratio was 26-6-3.

But wait! That doesn’t add up to 27? No. No it doesn’t. This is because some roles were worth more support than others. By default, all roles were worth 1. However, there were a few exceptions.

First, Leaders. All Leader roles would be worth TWO support when their faction was not in control, and FOUR if it WAS in control. (The leader roles were the Usurper of Heaven, the Forsaken King, and the Evil Leader of Evil) This gave heavy importance to having any Leader alive, as it would make it much harder for your faction to lose power while he was still in play. This means that the Usurper was worth FOUR permanent Coalition support at the start of the game; but the King was worth TWO. Had both Usurper and King been alive when the Avalanchians took control, they would have swapped values.

Also of note, the Preachers for Avalanchia and the Evil League were ALSO their Leader at the start; King Avalanche and SnakeInABox were the Preachers and Leaders for their respective factions. For the Coalition, the Preacher and the Usurper were two concretely separate roles. This was to give them a slight boon; essentially they wouldn’t lose both of their most powerful people if ONE individual was killed.

Anyways, other roles that were worth extra: Whoever held the preaching power for the Evil League of Evil had a +1 to support. This was for balance, as the Evil League was a one-man team, compared to the 4-man Coalition and 5-man Avalanchia. This means that the Snake role was actually worth THREE when out of power, and FIVE if in power. The person he passed it to would still have the +1, but wouldn’t become a leader (so, for example, if Ansem got it, he would be worth 2, regardless).

Beyond this, The Ice Climbers (played by JGH27) and Mario (played by Snake) were each worth two by default. Ironically, when Snake was chosen as Evil Leader of Evil, he was given the +1 and became worth 3 anyways, so he was kind of the best choice for it.

So that’s how this mechanic worked. At the start of the game, the Coalition ruled the world, and were masons, but the two other factions were actively trying to wrest control away from them, as they actively preached to attempt to maintain their stranglehold on the citizenry. Preachers were used to sway people, as Leaders gave their faction more staying power, and certain roles, be they influential figures like Mario or simply a role that's actually two people like the Ice Climbers, were more valuable.

About preaching:

First, all players who were preached to successfully would be given an innane message slightly related to the faction that had preached to them. This was to give them a slight chance to figure things out. It's a lot of fun, that way; makes the system more involved in the game. However, I put in a lot of stuff to prevent the entire game from breaking through a ploy like the one Warchamp tried day 7:

First, I could not tell preachers if their preach succeeded or failed.

Next, if two or more preachers targeted the same person on a given phase, their Support would not be changed. Third, anyone who was blocked by Mario OR targeted by the Ascendant Demon on a given phase could not be persuaded.

Fourth, a number of third parties, AND the Avalanchian traitor, all had support that could be changed, just like a townie.

All of this helped contribute to ensuring the game was not breakable, at least, not easily. Beyond that, if someone tried something too drastic I’d be willing to retroactively mod things, but I am fairly confident this wouldn’t be easy to break given the information people knew.

Now, to keep this system in play, if a preacher died, they could pass the power onto one of their teammates, at the cost of their other abilities, with a couple minor exceptions (I believe the Usurper would keep his 1-shot banstick kill, while the Quaetman wouldn’t lose laser vision. Again this was tentative, hadn’t fully decided). The Evil Leader would grant it to one player who currently supported the ELoE, as he had no teammates. Since he was a one-man team, I allowed the person he passed it to to keep their power, again with only a couple exceptions.

About the flip:

When I use the phrase ‘the flip’, I refer to one faction attaining the required support for a support switch, causing them to take control, becoming masons, while the other factions become mafia/third party. Now, this game, as mentioned before, was a battle not between a town and a mafia, but a battle between factions, between regimes. Essentially, beyond the town and major third parties, there were three Preaching factions: The two 'major' factions, the Coalition of Moderators and the New Kingdom of Avalanchia, and one 'minor' faction, the Evil League of Evil. The two major factions (Coalition and Avalanchia) knew of each other, but not of the Evil League of Evil; the ELoE was meant as a surprised (though a very balanced one). Each one of these factions had its own unique flavor and own unique balance, and operated differently. In order to keep the Permanent Supports fair, as each faction had a varied number of members (Avalanchia 6, Coalition 4, ELoE 1), I made the Traitor for Avalanchia have normal support (as in, can be preached to successfully) until recruited, and had the Leader system to make the Usurper's Coalition hard to bring down. Finally, I also gave the ELoE that +1 bonus.

As for the flip itself, when it did occur, there were a lot of things that happened to maintain balance:

First, to note: every time the support flip, it became harder to happen again. The way I accomplished this was by raising the bar by +1 for it to happen again. As TJ highlighted, support was done by majority + n, where n is the number of times it has flipped.

Also of import, each time the flip happened, 50% of the ousted faction’s supporters would be automatically converted to support the new ruler. This was in place to prevent the flip happening every phase once that peak was reached.

Next, I would change the power of each player of the two factions as they flipped. Johnny, as Viero, used demolitions before he took control, but when the Avalanchians were in power, he was a reviver; he'd clone the dead player in the fluff Razz. The Arbiter would have become a roleclaim punisher upon flip, and so on and so forth. These were all to keep the factions balanced and relevant to their alignments.

Now, once one of the two MAJOR factions was eliminated, the other could no longer take control. So, if the Coalition had been eliminated as masons, before the Avalanchians took over, the Avalanchians would permanently be a mafia. If, however, the Coalition was eliminated as a mafia, while Avalanchia was in power, Avalanchia COULD still be overthrown by the Evil League of Evil; otherwise the Evil League’s win condition would become horrendously unfair. Were the Evil Leader to take over at this point, he would permanently gain control.

The point of this was to ensure that the town did not have a guaranteed victory; there would always be a mafia, and beyond that, the exception for the Evil League of Evil was to make the role winnable.

Finally, there were two ways for factions to lose: First, if they were eliminated while out of control (if they were mafias at the time of their demise), then they’d lose. Second, if they were eliminated while in control, and at the end of the game had NO support, even if they were still technically masons, they would be defeated.
So that, in a rather long nutshell, is the support system.

Oh, also of note: Surge’s realization when he’d spent hours doing all the math and then realized that there was a third side was absolutely beautiful.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So that's the support system. Much of the game was shaped around it, and it really defined this one in a lot of ways. I had so much fun watching it play out; whoever was currently in control was to an extent portrayed as an antagonist in the flavor, whilst the other two were looked at as heroic. This was intentional, though it obviously varied; In Mario's case it wasn't looking evil so much as having a lot of strife and turmoil and realizing that the people might not be able to recover. Ultimately I felt it made for an amazing addition to the game, and am glad you guys enjoyed it.

I'll be doing role PMs across the next couple days, followed by a wrapup post! Stay tuned!

Quaetam
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Doctor Shulk on Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:46 pm

Yeah, Q, sure sucks that you couldn't get those mechanics to make the game even more complicated than it already was Razz

I am glad I now finally understand the degrees of death.

ahdfkdsjfhds you're a madman, Q, I hope you realise this. Razz Still, woah fantastic game, and much applause for being able to run such a complicated and clever system so smoothly. You truly are an excellent host, and I'm still going to punch you in the face for this game. Razz

Doctor Shulk
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Back to top Go down

Post  SpoonMan Abrams X on Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:37 pm

Well, at least I knew I was -mostly- right concerning the conditions of death, albeit not right on support... Though part of me just knew there was a third group in the support system... damn you Q Laughing Twisted Evil

SpoonMan Abrams X
Dedede's Enforcer

Back to top Go down

Post  Quaetam on Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:38 pm

Another thing about support: Revivers would bring whoever they revived into their support.

What do you mean about not right about the support, spoon? It was all but spelled out to the Coalitionists/Avalanchians Razz

Quaetam
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SnakeInABox on Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:43 pm

Legendary SpoonMan wrote:
Relmitos wrote:
Spontaneous Combustion wrote:- There are three cults*
- Everyone who gets lynched gets an entire novel as their death post
- Mafia, townies, masons, cultists and third parties all get royally fucked in the ass by an evil chessmaster role nobody sees coming
- Said role will be played by SnakeInABox
Just pointing out how true this was. *Support system withstanding, lol

Wow yes I might sig some of that

SnakeInABox
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SpoonMan Abrams X on Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:47 pm

Quaetam wrote:Another thing about support: Revivers would bring whoever they revived into their support.
What do you mean about not right about the support, spoon? It was all but spelled out to the Coalitionists/Avalanchians Razz
I meant regarding the third party. I had deduced that flavor coloring was referring to deaths, but mistook alignment coloring in regards that it "wasn't" a third party... and yes Q, ALL BUT (you dirty shenanigator lol). As I said, I knew there was a third party support, I just didn't have the proper evidence (least, as I said, I didn't realize I had it~)

SpoonMan Abrams X
Dedede's Enforcer

Back to top Go down

Post  Relmitos on Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:41 pm

Yeah, like I said, that quote from Spont shall apply to all of Q's games henceforth.

Relmitos
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:17 am

Quaetam wrote:(all of Qod’s POWERS were erasures too).

Always.

Steam: smashbro815
3DS/Pokemon X&Y: 1048-8610-9932
"I wish I had a magical spaceship made of yellow ideas that could go in space with like a tiger wearing a purple flower, and everything would be colored happyness:)" - SurgePox
"All Pokemon are just Ditto anyway" - Raya
"Krystal's Ok. But what about Umbreon. Now thats a sexy Pokemon, like a sports car." - Dismal

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Relmitos on Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:15 pm

Just saying......this was epic.

Quaetam wrote:
The Avalanchian sneered, raising his hands, ignoring the shaft in his shoulder as if it was nothing. Around each jewel, the light formed a solid, flat, razor-thin circle, cutting the air, cackling with energy. Link released the shaft in his bow, and the Avalanchian casually knocked it aside before making a quick, flicking, whipping motion with his wrist, spinning the gem within his hand. The circle of light cut free from the gem, rotating like a sawblade, a spiraling disk of ferocious light that arced through the air towards the Hylian.

Link barely had time to react. Drawing the Master Sword, he slashed, turning aside the blaze of energy. The sinister, spinning circle collided with some of the fallen rubble, collapsing it in a small blast. Link spun his sword, stepped forward, but the Avalanchian had created another, already he had slung both arms forward, arcing both towards Link, two disks of burning light searing through the air towards their prey. Link blocked one with his shield, swung backhand with his sword, deflecting the other towards his adversary. The Minister channeled his focus, forming a blade of light within his left hand, even as he flicked his right, allowing the circle of light to pulse outward from the gem once more, reforming fully. With his sword he cut at the magic, again reflecting the disk back towards Link, throwing another from his right hand. Again Link blocked one with his shield, turning the other back on the Minister with his blade, stepping forward once more.

The Minister snarled, frusturated, deflecting a second time with a powerful stroke, accelerating the disk, and Link lunged forward, sword arcing outward, slashing the circle of light for a third time.

The Avalanchian, surprised by Link’s sudden advance, had no time to react; the disk slashed past his guard, cutting a vertical swath through his arrow-stricken shoulder.

Smite that Ganon wanna-be!

This is just one small section of a masterpiece though. I'll even go so far as to say that it's Dragonwrath, Tarecgosa's Rest. (Inside joke I had to explain to Q. I won't bother going into it here, just understand that when I say that I mean "Legendary")

Relmitos
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Townie roles pt 1

Post  Quaetam on Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:10 pm

The Town!

GreenArcher628

Role: Deathtalker (Game 18)
Affiliation: Town
Pokemon: Natu
(Support: Coalition)

You’ve never been the most sociable Pokemon. Maybe that has something to do with the fact that you are able to interact with the spirits of the dead. The wisdom held by those passed is not to be ignored, for it may contain knowledge the living never know.
Each night you may choose send a message to a dead player. If they choose to respond, I will relay you their reply. Like the previous game, you may also adopt the power of the deceased player you chose. Listed are further details of this role:

-You are not capable of collecting powers; should you take on a new power, it will replace what you currently had.
-You may choose whether or not to adopt the deceased’s power if you deathspeak with them.
-Each power may only be used once, and then it will not be available anymore.
-You must choose to either deathspeak with a dead player, or use the current adopted power at night, but not both at once. You can, of course, do nothing if you so choose.

Once per game, you can channel your psychic energy to revive a player whose power you have once held.

(Evolution:)

Natu would evolve into Xatu, and gain the ability to have two powers at once. At the same time, she’d be able to deathtalk to someone AND use a power in a given night.

I love deathtalkers/dead interaction roles; they add a layer of complexity to the game, and at the same time can make things quite fun for the dead, allowing them to interact in ways not usually present. This particular deathtalker was taken from Smashbro’s game, 18, and adapted almost identically into this game. However, I added the revival ability as a good balancing factor: to give the town a method of necromancy beyond that of the ruling factions. A few town roles were capable of limited revives to this end, Natu among them. Natu, in the story, was straightforward; a Pokemon native to the Kingdom.

In GreenArcher’s death, I more or less ignored the fact that she was a Natu, because, well, I forgot at first when I was writing it :B I was near the end, realized I had written her like a human, and shrugged and went ‘ah well’ and just kinda went with it Razz
Her death was, like so many things this game, the result of a tragic coincidence: Snake roleblocked her Night 2, the same night the mafia chose to use a demolitionist to prime someone rather than making a kill. Essentially, this led Snake to think (quite logically) that he had blocked the mafia’s killer, as no kill was outright preformed in the flavor text. GreenArcher meant to roleclaim near the end of that dayphase, but unfortunately didn’t get it up in time, and was lynched.

Relmitos decided he’d use Hand of God day 3, giving the lynchee a mistblade, based on a “well, Green will probably target Snake” sort of whim. He didn’t know Snake was a target, but certainly wasn’t complaining Razz. Green, of course, targeted Snake, understandably so. Sadly it ended in tragedy all the way across the board as Snake was a townie, but at least he came back to life.

Ultimately, GreenArcher in Game 20 basically made her debut since several games ago, and in the end had a pretty good showing. She was unafraid to voice her opinion, was one of the few people to question Snake’s spontmode, albeit incorrectly. But mistakes happen, and I find that while she was wrong in her convictions, for her to step into a game of this complexity despite not having been in any mafia games in, well, a long time, and to step up and play without going inactive, that was nice to see.

DRTJR

Role: Lawyer (Game 11)
Alignment: Town
Forumer: queen_camilla

You have studied the ace attorney games you love so much- As a well-versed practitioner of law, your vote counts double. Furthermore, you have two abilities: First, you may one time OBJECT to a lynch, stopping it for the day. Second, you may three times secretly control another person's vote. On days you do so, your vote won’t innately be worth double, rather you’ll have two votes while removing the other person’s.

A fun role; from game 11, the idea was that, as a lawyer (expert on the Layton games), Camilla can use her legal authority to dominate lynches; I BALANCED td's version of the role by limiting it to ONE lynchstop and NO doublelynch (as that ability went to Mario), but giving it a doublevote with the ability to nullify others' votes three times (as that's basically what the votesteal did). Camilla was a very influential figure in both the game and the story, and I had fun with the fact that Camilla roles have already died twice in this setting (Game 10 there were two) Razz

DRTJR very much manned up when he decided to put his classic prejudice aside and NOT grudge-vote Raya. Ironically enough, this led to a huge controversy, when combined with the fact that his novote held absolutely no bearing on the current discussion. This in turn spawned a huge amount of discussion that phase: Johnny, a member of the then-hostile Avalanchian faction, started a push on DarkFalco for defending DRTJR, which then created a massive counterwagon, into which a large number of votes were placed, as several people viewed the defense as heavily scummy. Day 1, in the end, resulted in a very close deadlock between DarkFalco, Raya, and Nobody, ironically due to not their actions, but DRTJR’s

The DRTJR, DarkFalco, Raya triple-connection was carried, in no small part due to the Avalanchians and Ascendant Demon, through the next few days. Overall it threatened to derail the town’s entire game, again, but at the same time helped to create a large number of leads in the future; Weldar picked up on I believe the Demon, two Avalanchians, and the Hierophant from this. Some others followed this, and while Relmitos was able to play well and escape the suspicion by scumhunting hard, Requiem, while also playing well, was never truly able to break free of the odd glances people were throwing him, and eventually was brought down following being scanned ‘nobody’ by Ansem, among other things.

Ultimately, DRTJR’s gesture of peace was literally the entire catalyst for the first half to third of this game. Almost all the leads that were drawn came from his simple lack of voting Raya. It’s fun to see how one small action can really affect the course of the game like that.

As for his power? He never used it, but was prepared to if he led the lynch.

The no-lynch day 1 happened because even though DarkFalco led in public, JGH’s doublevote was on Raya I believe, and DRTJR’s was on Nobody, resulting in a three-way tie. No shenanigans beyond that were involved.

Also, he never stole votes either, sadly.

DRTJR died when blown up by Johnny day 6. He was also poisoned by Ansem that day I believe, and thus doomed regardless. Almost NOBODY interacted with him throughout the game before this, power-wise, save a track from Camilla that yielded no results. Ultimately, he became a bit sidelined as the game went on, ignored by a few players, and beyond that deemed totally innocent by those who saw past the triple-connection illusion. However, his play was literally THE driving force beyond much of the early-game, and ironically enough led to the town’s catching several targets.

Ansem

Name: Requiem
Role: Enigma (Game 15)
Affiliation: Custodes Manus Supremae (Mafia) Town
(Support: Coalition -> Avalanchia -> Evil League of Evil)

You are the founding member of this great cult and have been given absolute power by your great Master. The powers are so great your mortal body can hardly control them all and you have little control over them.

A Minister of Chance, of Paradox, your power is an interesting one quite appropriate to your station. You have a list of 6 actions. At night you can choose a person, I will roll a dice to decide which action from your list you will use on that person. Your current list of actions is:

1. Do Nothing
2. Do Nothing
3. Do Nothing
4. Do Nothing
5. Do Nothing
6. Do Nothing

Each phase (once during the day once at night) you may replace one of that items on your list with any power of your choosing, within reason. What is acceptable will be decided by me on a case by case basis and may depend on what other items are currently on your list. However there is no penalty to making an unreasonable request and you can keep going as much as you want until you make a proposal I will accept (or the phase ends) so feel free to be creative, but bear in mind that I have the final say.

A great role, from quite a brilliant game. Enigma was the leader of the Cult mason group in game 15, where literally every player was part of a mason group that thought it was a mafia. Here, I changed the flavor slightly to fit the setting more; Requiem, former Avalanchian Minister of Chance, having been in the Kingdom for a while (be it since the Singularity that started Game 10, or since the Tempest of the Void first ravaged the worlds… I hadn’t decided). Its flavor, totally reliant on chance, like the man it was based on. In the story, where he appeared, I worked to make his kills confident, mysterious, and fortune-bound, very akin to Req’s Avalanchia persona.

This is probably one of my personal favorite roles due to its simplicity and versatility. The basic premise is simple: One may roll a dice to determine what happens to his target. Had he wanted to get powers to interact with the DEAD instead, I’d have let him do that, but sadly he didn’t go that route Razz That said, that’s how the role goes, there are so many great options, the powers are of his own choosing, and Ansem was largely quiet in-thread but in the background really, really wanted to kill people Razz. At first he decided to oscillate between kill and scan, but eventually put almost all his power on kill: When he stopped replacing slots, I believe the dice was: Kill, Demo Kill, Poison Kill, Scan, Scan, Unblockable Kill (would have to recheck my original documents to be sure).

Ironically, he had some rather terrible luck with this role.

Night 1, with two slots on kill, he tried to take out Minby, but rolled Do Nothing. Night 2, he scanned Requiem, and succeeded, resulting in a “None” scan. This was something he then proceeded to hint at in-thread for the next couple days. Unfortunately, he never pushed too hard on this, possibly because he didn’t want to attract too much attention. Night 3 he scanned Sahrimnir innocent, I believe (Sah was a pawn, but Pawn doesn’t show up on scans). Then, Night 4, he poisoned Relmitos, and Relm, being the Ascendant Demon, survived. Night 5 he poisoned DRTJR I believe, and DRTJR was blown up by Johnny midday anyways, so that too was useless. Night 6 I have no record of his action, unfortunately. Night 7… he poisoned Raya I think, but Raya was blown up that same nightphase so it didn’t matter. Finally, Night 8 he primed Sonix, and proceeded to blow him up day 9 after Sonix claimed cop, granting him his first and only successfully kill.

While on the surface this might seem like a bad mood, it actually was quite beneficial, as it essentially ended the game right there: proving that Sonix was telling the truth, thereby nailing the Coalition, and by extension the Avalanchians when the flip happened again, thanks to Johnny’s claim. Night 9 he primed Eisen, but decided to not activate the charge, a respectable choice, as by that point everything was concluded. Day 9 he more or less spent his time attempting to sacrifice himself through Demon championing, but Hudson was championed alongside Minby’s lynch, so this didn’t happen. Fortunately enough, it worked out for the best: the demon was slain, the Avalanchians overthrown, and the coalition crippled that day. Ansem’s a perceptive guy, the only thing that really got in his way this game was bad luck, as he actually targeted a lot of scum, or at least factional, players (Relmitos, Sah, Warchamp, Requiem, Minby). Had the dice fallen a little differently, he would have really brought major change to the game.

Sonix!

Role: Detective
Character: Professor Layton (Game 13)
(Support: Coalition -> Evil League of Evil)

You're an expert detective, always able to get to the bottom of any case!! Scan one person each night to determine their alignment.

A true Gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved.

---
Classic cop role, needs no explaining. Layton’s a detective and a hero, used to battling the supernatural. His role in the story was just that, basically; someone working to save the world through puzzles and whatnot. Unfortunately, Minister Requiem (played by Ansem) cut his quest tragically short, killing him before he could go, with Luigi, to confront the Ascendent Demon. One thing I loved about this setup was that the cop, while an asset to the town, would be a bit more of a renegade: The cop, a hero genuinely out for justice, would be considered a threat by those who wished to stay in power. The ruling regime would want the cop out in case they flipped, more or less; while he would be an asset at the start, each night he was allowed to scan was another night they were put at risk in the distant future. It made for an interesting balance.

Sonix lay very low this game, yes, but he did so intentionally, and after he was given a shitton of suspicion for doing so, it finally paid off toward the end.

The first couple days he did little, voting nobody each time (though D1 he switched to Johnny, granted). It was Night 3 that he scanned Fedaykin as Avalanchian, and Day 4 that he first softclaimed, helping with the push against Fedaykin. A lot of people totally didn’t get the softclaim, which surprised me, but many did, and noticed he was a potential cop. Yet the stance that was taken by the non-town players was, essentially, to push for a lynch on him/keep suspicion on him/attempt to gloss over his points in-thread and distract from them, rather than trying to actually KILL him. Sonix was roleblocked a couple times after his first softclaim I believe, but ended up catching both Requiem and Fedaykin across the course of the game, and day 9 was able to vouch for Ansem’s innocence, more or less providing the final piece of the puzzle

For scans: Night 1 he scanned Sah innocent, Night 2 Requiem as None, Night 3 Fed as Avalanchian, Night 4 Ansem as innocent, Night 5 Surge as innocent, Night 6 he scanned Eisen but was blocked, Night 7 he scanned Camilla innocent (and she then exploded right when the day started Razz), Night 8 he scanned Relmitos as Alignment: None (though Relm was killed that night anyways Razz), and Day 9 he was killed by Ansem. Ansem killed him in order to test his claim, thereby verifying the people he vouched for, and solidifying the endgame.

Ultimately he actually had a pretty good scan record, and in the end was able to claim when it counted, providing, en lieu of his role, one of the final pieces of the puzzle. I’d recommend, for Sonix, simply playing a bit less cautious in the future, and being more active, but here you certainly came through when it counted, so good game!

Sahrimnir

Role: Happy Guy
Character: Picknicker Sova (Game 12)
Pokemon: Seedot
Side: Town -> Pawn

You're so happy because you found the greatest pokemon ever, a Seedot! You're so happy that nothing could bring you down! All of your posts must be positive, whatever the situation is. If you make a negative post, or even a post that isn't obviously positive, you will be given a warning. If you do it again, you will be modkilled. Not that you mind, as long as you have your beloved Seedot.

Upon its first evolution, Seedot becomes a Nuzleaf, and is able to make other people happyrole for the day. Upon its second, Nuzleaf becomes Shiftry, and is capable of making others happy permanently.

Ah, this role… Who honestly didn’t expect it to be in here? Razz Minby really has a thing for the happy role, having submitted it for both season closers now, and I have to admit it’s quite appealing. Very simple premise, very laughable results at times. There wasn’t much flavor attached to Seedot and his trainer, really; they more or less were Kingdomdwellers that were happy almost to the point of naivette. Still, I attempted to make at least his first death memorable, if a little shorter than I’d have liked.

In this game, Sahrimnir played it very straight, and used it to be confirmed within the first page. Then, Requiem decided to manipulate him. At first he continued playing happy, as normal, until his Bastard decided to shake things up a bit by making him push against Fedaykin and then hopefully die, after which he’d use the chaos to pick a new pawn and continue leading everyone in circles. Sahrimnir’s happy play was mostly ignored or passed over as pure townie, until day 3, at which point he finally got on and responded to Requiem’s request, and softclaimed a detector role, and hinted that he had scanned Fedaykin guilty.

This was a lie. Sahrimnir never scanned Fedaykin, and had no way of knowing he was guilty. The intent was simply to get Fed lynched and then die himself, or even just commit suicide, nothing more, nothing less. Again, the plan was to create chaos, shake things up, help Requiem manipulate people to his advantage. Funny thing is, Fed actually WAS Avalanchian (he was a Traitor role): Sah’s random accusation hit its mark. This caused several things to happen… The coincidences here were rather staggering. First, due to Sah’s claim of Fed being guilty, the ACTUAL cop, Sonix!, scanned Fedaykin that night, resulting, of course, in an Avalanchian scan. Next, due to Sahrimnir’s claim, the Avalanchians targeted him that night, and his flip revealed him as a pawn.

Discussion exploded, pointing fingers at everyone from Requiem, the real MB, to Fedaykin, the one Sah had accused (some felt that Sah wanted to commit suicide and thus distance himself from Fed, making Fed look like a non-mb). Requiem manipulated smashbro in Sahrimnir’s place. Then Spoonman, Great Arbiter of the Coalition, decided to revive Sahrimnir to test if he’d still be a pawn. He was still a pawn, so Requiem had two minions that day. Req came up with the brilliant plan of having the newly revived Sah try to frame Fed as the MB, pretending to have been freed (which of course would have had Sah killed the next day, but that’s actually a very positive result for the Bastard). Spoon himself, by defending Sah as a likely freed pawn, was painted as the Manipulator, which led to his demise day 6 after Johnny blew up Requiem. Finally, Fedayking was brought down with Sah D5 in Snake’s doublelynch power.

Sah’s little gambit more or less led to the deaths of Fedaykin, the first Avalanchian, Sah himself, Spoonman the first Coalitionist, and Req when Req seemed to push illogically on Sah and Fed. He was to the midgame what DRTJR was to the early game: a bit of a game-changer, pivotal through his gambit.

And ultimately, Sah played this game quite well. He confirmed himself quickly, and upon becoming a pawn, played his part in Requiem’s gambits perfectly. I have to admit, the happy rambling was as hilarious to watch as ever; I can tell he had a lot of fun with it, as I did watching.

Omicron Austin

I never got his original role PM back, but here's a quick summary:

Role: Shipper
Alignment: Town Modkilled (Game 14)
Character: Nepeta
(Support:) Coalition

You're Nepeta, and you love to ship :33. You have three powers. Each is a 1-shot and could target two people.

Spades: Forces the two targeted to attack each other with any malicious abilities available for the next cycle.
Hearts: Loverbonds the two targets for the cycle.
Diamonds: Forces the two targeted to protect each other with any protective actions available for the next cycle.

Once all three are used, they will all be recharged, allowing you to use them again.

(God Tier:)
Rouge of Heart

If revived, Nepeta gains Clubs shipping as well: The two she targets must use their night actions on her instead of their targets (basically a limited lightning rod). She may also choose to use any power at any time; no longer are they one-shots.

This role is probably one of the best roles we've had never see any action Razz

I love the idea of shipping powers in-game, and wish it could have come to fruition in either game 14 or 20. Unfortunately, in game 14, I recruited Raya into the mafia too early for it to make a difference, and game 20 Omicron, even when he was inactive, decided he wouldn't just throw out these powerful abilities uninformed, so it saw no action here either. Nepeta's role in the story was that she and the other 11 trolls were brought here through the dimensional rifts created by Tempest of the Void, and were attempting to fend for themselves, though they were sided with the town. Only she and Karkat were actually playable; any other ones referenced were not actually a part of the game.

Omicron, as you guys know, was modkilled; he was barely able to play, and thus had to be removed for inactivity, unfortunately. However, while he was alive, he put a good amount of effort into TRYING to play... I don't hold this against him at all because honestly he put forth a lot of effort despite a busy schedule: When he did post, the posts he made were informed and intelligent as always. Indeed, he didn't just post to post, when I asked him to post he actually went back, read the thread, and made something cohesive. So, even though his presencei n this game was sorely miss, I really thank him for trying despite it all, and hold nothing against him.

Last edited by Quaetam on Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:03 am; edited 3 times in total

Quaetam
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Relmitos on Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:27 pm

Quaetam wrote:Relmitos decided he’d use Hand of God day 3, giving the lynchee a mistblade, based on a “well, Green will probably target Snake” sort of whim. He didn’t know Snake was a target, but certainly wasn’t complaining

That was glorious. I only did that because there was a tag line to that ability that said "If the lynchee picks you, you WILL die" so I just wanted to use it early enough to avoid getting hit by it from acquiring ire from the guy about to hang. Everything went better then expected!

Relmitos
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DRTJR on Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:37 pm

I knew not voting Raya would envite a shit storm. I was double killed, This pleases me that two people independently thought I was better dead than alive.

DRTJR
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Townie Roles pt 2

Post  Quaetam on Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:55 am

Town Roles pt. 2

Eisen

I don’t have Eisen’s original role PM, so I’m going to again approximate it here:

Role: Doctor (Game 17)
Character: Roy Zuurveen (Avalanche)
(Support: Coalition -> Avalanchia -> Evil League of Evil -> Avalanchia -> Coalition ->Evil League of Evil)

You're Avalanche, white mage extraordinaire! What you lack in combat prowess you make up for in magic. Your magic can knit bones together and heal the most grievous of wounds. In Dragnia, you were unable to save everyone, but now, in the Kingdom, you’re done feeling useless; you’re done feeling alone. Having been thrust into Dragnia was surreal, like being thrown into a dream, or a nightmare. But this… this world, populated by characters you know so well… This was beyond all reason. Here, you know the threat the Coalition represents. Here, you know the Avalanchians better than anyone. But you know what they’ve all become, you know what depths they’ve sunk to. You know there’s no righteousness to be found in their mission anymore. This world needs protecting… perhaps you can make the difference…

You have the doctor role: in the night phase you can choose and protect a player from all attacks that phase.

The doctor, is, of course, an essential role to a mafia game, and thus was more than welcome here. Being Avalanche made this far more interesting in flavor as well; Avalanche being the Forsaken King and also the doctor allowed for an excellent duality I really wanted to use in this story. Unfortunately, it didn’t come up much, but it’s still worth mentioning: I had plans involving Avalanche, the priest, helping to lead a campaign against the Forsaken King at some point (as he knows him better than anyone), but the way the game played out dictated otherwise, and I let those go. The flavor duality here was excellent.

One important thing to note: While Eisen was again more innocent than you can possibly imagine, he was a miller, simply due to the fact that his role was Avalanche: The flavor was that a cop would mistake him for the Forsaken King and scan him guilty.

Eisen has always been a dark-horse player: He’s been working past a language barrier since he joined these boards, and this game is no exception. He’s a very skilled player when the time comes for action, provided he understands what’s going on. Game 20, he started off a little slow and cautious, being unsure of how to gauge the triple-suspicions and everything else that was happening in the first few days. Ultimately, he very quickly decided on a new tactic, however: Playing hard and testing for reactions, to try to scumhunt and make the game more interesting that way. He was one of the first to be wary of the hints at a demon in the nightplots, just as an aside. Beyond that, though, he began to finally garner attention as a good player (and a meme Razz), and was able to discern a great deal of reactions. He correctly voted Requiem after much deliberation, and put a lot of thought into his posts. He was also one of the few people who didn’t trust Warchamp enough to confirm that he’d been sent a cryptic message. On Day 8, he was one of the few people to be nervous enough about the Avalanchians taking control that he’d actually go and Save: td, and correctly deduced that SurgePox was mafia in the race between Surge and Relmitos.

On Day 9, when he was given a lot of pressure, accused of becoming Coalition, he roleclaimed at the ideal moment, and divulged his protect targets, which were, in order, Weldar, DarkFalco, Snake, Smash, Eisen, Eisen, Relmitos, Snake. Both the blocks on Weldar and Smash were accurate; unfortunately, the kill on Weldar was an Erase by Quaetman, and the kill on Smash was a Banstick kill, by TheTJ, so neither were saved. Either way, his predictions were good ones this game.

Overall I felt Eisen played one of his best games this time around; he came into his own, in a way, by becoming confident and playing hard. He was highly perceptive, played very intelligent. I look forward to seeing him continue in the future here!

Camilla

Role: Tracker (Game 18)
Affiliation: Town
Pokemon: Growlithe -> Arcanine
(Support: Coalition -> Avalanchia -> Coalition -> Evil League of Evil -> Avalanchia -> Coalition -> Evil League of Evil)

You are the master when it comes to seeing what others are up to. Given the current circumstances, this talent is not one to overlook. Before the Rising War, your friends knew you for your loyalty. It is a shame, however, that you don't even know if any of them are still alive. You see the need for stability in this Kingdom, see the fragile state the world is in, and you have no intention of letting it collapse.

You are the game's tracker. At night you may PM me the name of a player you want to track. I will tell you the morning of the next day phase who they visited, if anyone.

Growlithe evolves into Arcanine; as a result, his scan is upgraded, and can now either be a copscan or provide a comprehensive list of who your target interacted with (watcher + tracker).

Tracker is always a useful role, but its effectiveness is highly situational… Not much needs to be said for Growlithe and its trainer’s flavor, as they were obviously Kingdom natives, but as the game went on they gained importance following Growlithe’s revive became heroes to the people as they set the Cathedral aflame and helped bring down the final member of the Coalition, as Growlithe evolved in the process, before showing up to the final clash with Minister Viero’s army of clones and helping Mario and Link get through. Camilla rose from the police force and became a bit of a leader, a hero to the people, by the end of the game.

Ingame, Camilla’s powers didn’t prove very fruitful. Night 1 she tracked DRTJR, but he had no night power. Night 2 something interesting happened… she tracked Surge, who Preached her at the same time… as a result, she was given an Avalanchia-related message, and told that Surge visited her. This caused her to track Surge again the next night, as he visited Ansem. Unfortunately, she didn’t follow up with this, but given how vague the Support messages were, this was understandable. Night 4 she tracked Raya, who couldn’t visit anyone. Night 5 she tracked Raya again, and Night 6 she tracked Eisen, who protected himself.

Night 7 she was absolutely ravaged by night actions: Spontmoded by Avalanche, Hacked by Hudsonboy, Primed by Johnny (who she tracked, though the hack made it fail), Scanned by Sonix, and poisoned by Warchamp. Johnny then exploded her right away Day 8, which, to me, was a shame, as she had a lot of fun spontmode stuff planned, and honestly it wasted Avalanche’s last medicine fuck (though to be honest, it didn’t matter, as Avalanche was chosen as successor by King SurgePox, meaning he lost his medicine fucking in favor of the Preach).

She wasn’t out of the game, however… Mid-Day 9 she was revived by Johnny, allowing her to continue to play hard. The next day she led the lynch against TJ, eliminating the last Coalitionist and evolving in the process. Not that the evolution mattered, of course: The game was over in all but name when day 11 hit.

Early on she was just about the only one to actually guess that Snake might have just been spewing crazy bullshit and not talking in code, which was true; while his actions had purpose behind them they weren’t meant to be discernible, they were almost all for his analysis, so he could determine how she reacted. Camilla’s key moment definitely came during day 9, while piecing everything together: She backed up Eisen’s cop claim, and thus helped to clear him, allowing Johnny to determine the identities of the last couple Coalitionists. Overall her play was good this game, enough so that Johnny, totally an outsider and thus entirely objective, considered her quite a threat. Especially commendable for someone who had not played mafia in several games! Thanks, Camilla, for playing!

Weldar

Role: Jailer (Game 14)
Character: Karkat
(Support: Coalition -> Evil League of Evil)

You’re Karkat! Not past Karkat, not future Karkat, just Karkat. Fuck those other guys. Each nightphase you can pull one person into a MEMO. That person is entirely roleblocked, but any actions (including kills) targeting that person will fail. You are allowed to send me a message to relay to your prisoner, to which they will respond accordingly.

(God Tier:)
Knight of Blood

Karkat becomes a super-jailer, and can now choose to kill his target after reading the response method, if he so chooses.

FUCKASS.

Karkat is Karkat, one of my favorite homestuck characters, and a very entertaining role from Game 14 that saw a decent amount of use there, and would have certainly been put to great use here had Weldar not died night 1. More or less, in flavor Karkat, like Nepeta and the other trolls (again, none of whom were playable beyond Karkat and Nepeta), was brought here to the Kingdom via the Tempest of the Void, as it tore through reality. They took shelter in the Immigrant District, in DeDeDe’s old, abandoned stripclub, and were out for themselves, out more or less to try to survive by getting rid of the people who threatened them (thus, town).

Weldar’s always been a great mafia player, and that didn’t change this game, for however brief he was alive. He played fearlessly from the opening page, immediately deducing Sahrimnir as innocent, and placing pressure on various suspicious targets (DRTJR, Darkfalco, etc). Consistently offered good input, constantly made good calls. Nothing remotely to complain about. His only power use was Night 1 on Relmitos, the Ascendant Demon. He did this because he thought Relmitos was innocent, but Relm’s response made him a bit suspicious, simply because he was holding back a bit more than seemed logical.

At the time of his death, when he was Erased by Quaetman (played by hudsonboy111), Weldar had correctly guessed a number of scum roles (Requiem, hudsonboy, Johnny I think, Surge, and one or two of the other Avalanchians, as well as Relmitos, though Relm was someone he was pretty sure was innocent until he got Relmitos’ response to his night 1 jailing memo). Weldar’s always been a perceptive player, and that extended to this game. A shame he had to go out so early.

He did serve as a part of my brain trust this game; a co-host of sorts really, who I talked to when difficult situations arose, as second opinions are always helpful. Big thanks for your help in some of the trickier balance questions that arose, Weldar, and all the other insight you gave me.

JGH27

I didn’t get his role PM back, so I’ll just summarize:

Role: Tag Team! (Game 16)
Character: The Ice Climbers
(Support: Coalition x2)
Ability:

Through the harrows of war, the corrupt decay of peace, you two are always together, doing what is necessary to survive. Wielding your two hammers, you’re able to rig the votes: You may vote twice in a given phase. The first vote is cast on whoever you publicly vote for each day, while the second may be sent to me privately. If you don’t sent me a second vote, it will automatically be cast on the person you publicly voted for.

The Ice Climbers were adapted from Avos’ Nana role, brought back into their team of two. As they were two people, they had two votes, and were worth two Support. Essentially in flavor, the Ice Climbers were, of course, Kingdom Natives, out for whatever would pay them, their innocence long corrupted and lost. Upon their death, facing absolute oblivion, the Ice Climbers’ hardened exterior broke down, and they once again became those innocent children, crying as they faced the banstick.

In addition to the doublevote/doubleSupport, I actually intended to have J able to dodge one kill, losing his doublevote and second Support power in the process, but this was never realized as he was lynched anyways (banned, as the Coalition was in power).

J’s always been a pretty good player, but sadly wasn’t able to be as active as usual this game, as he is very, very busy IRL on a regular basis. While I don’t have much to say on his inthread play because of this, I will mention that his power usage early on in the game was critical: Day 1 he put a good deal of thought into who to place his secret vote on, and ultimately decided to keep voting on Raya. This led to the tie with Darkfalco, keeping her alive. Day 2 he helped to get Avos lynched, I believe, and beyond that I don't have records of how the power was used, but the times he used it, he was very intelligent, actively using his second vote to try to get real suspicions lynched while remaining a bit less active in-thread: Keeping himself safe while still pursuing leads.

All this said, I full-heartedly appreciate the effort he put into trying this game, and understand why he wasn’t able to do as much, so I have no ill will, not even remotely, towards the guy. You’re a good man, J. Come play with us again sometime!

DarkFalco

Role: Amaterasu (Game 13)
power: celestial brush
Alignment: Town -> Pawn

The Goddess of the Sun, you find yourself needed in these dark times. Wielding the powerful Celestial Brush, you can use 3 nightactions across the game. You may use any power mentioned below, and cannot use any of them more than once. Feel free to be creative, if you have a power idea not listed here just ask me about it.

Celestial Eye (copscan)
Vine (roleblock)
Catwalk (follow a player to see who the player contacts)
Sunrise (revive)
Veil of Mist (protect)
Slash (kill)

Amaterasu; mother to all and goddess of all that is good. You are needed again.

Amaterasu is quite a fun role; I’ve always thoroughly enjoyed roles that force the players themselves to be creative, and thus have a huge range of possibilities available. I would have allowed Amaterasu everything from a 1-shot Banish attack (if she thought of the ability to remove someone from the game), to a 1-shot Manipulation (allowing her one puppet). DarkFalco actually thought of the latter, in the end didn’t do it because she was contemplating using her power to give her a second life (ALA Mario) for a cycle. Now, in the flavor of the game, Amaterasu is a dweller of the Kingdom, naturally; she’s goddess of the sun incarnate, out to help cleanse the world of evil.

At the start of the game, when she was discouraged, she simply played hard, fearlessly, and pushed the suspicions and accusations she believed valid. DarkFalco played very hard this game, throughout. She was given a huge quantity of suspicion for pointing out that DRTJR didn’t really look that suspicious for not voting Raya, thereby defending him, and backing down and voting DRTJR when pressured.

She was right, DRTJR was townie, but by switching stances so quickly she looked highly suspicious, and quickly amassed a lot of votes. When DRTJR claimed a lynchstop power, she, like others, backed off, and explained herself in a rather calm manner. Halfway into Day 1, she was leading the lynch 7-4-4, and five of the seven votes were scum players who all saw her as an easy scapegoat: Johnny and Hudson, hostile Avalanchians, Avos, who was Kirby, Requiem, the Hierophant, and Warchamp, the hostile ELoE all were pushing on her. As weldar pointed out, her mistake was being worried, and she responded by, well, no longer being worried. She softclaimed, drawing much of the attention off her, and in doing so completely turned the dayphase around. TheTJ, Arisen Moderator, executioner of the Coalition, put a hammering vote on her, but thanks to both JGH’s and DRTJR’s doublevotes nobody was lynched. This led to TJ amassing massive suspicion, and DarkFalco, throughout the game, became gradually more and more confident as she continued to play hard. Relmitos, as the Demon, and Surge, the Forsaken King, were two of the few people to continued to press on her, only stopping when they drew some suspicion for this.

About day… 5? Requiem found himself out of puppets, and decided to manipulate the more or less completely cleared DarkFalco. DF had one power shot left at this point, and was actually determined to use this to screw Requiem somehow, until I told her otherwise and explained the meaning of being puppeted more or less (she had been afraid it more or less took away her free will in the game, when in reality it simply changed her win condition). She planned, on night 5, to give herself a second life so she could come back if she died. This would actually have freed her from Requiem, though I wouldn’t tell her this of course. Unfortunately, she forgot to submit her action that night, and thus went down with Requiem when Johnny blew him up just before the lynch Day 6. Inthread as a pawn she continued to play hard, only giving up when Requiem himself was finished. She drew some suspicion for defending him, yes, but frankly that dayphase she, like he, was desperate to do all she could to get him out of the way.

Powerwise, DarkFalco didn’t really think very big for her first two uses: She self-protected for the first one, which was a pretty logical choice granted, given her softclaim. For the second, she tried to make herself a bomb, but was roleblocked, so it wasn’t wasted. She preformed no action night 3, then scanned smashbro night 4 (the same night the Coalition banned him anyways). However, after her first two, she started to think of much grander schemes, such as a 1-shot manipulation (A PAWN WITHIN A PAWN), or a second life. Both of these ideas were brilliant, and it’s a shame they didn’t come to fruition, but such is mafia.

Overall DF played a great game. She really proved herself in a lot of ways; she turned into one of the more critical players this game, and has gained a great deal of confidence if her play is any indicator… this will serve her well in the future. She also seems to have eliminated just about the biggest issue she’s had in mafia; being overly afraid. That will be huge. Great job this game, DarkFalco.

smashbro

Role: Townie (Game 19)
Affiliation: Town -> Pawn
(Support: Coalition -> Evil League of Evil -> Avalanchia -> Evil League of Evil -> Coalition)

You’re a townie.

Blame SurgePox Razz

-----

Being you, I'm pretty sure you can handle it though :B

The flavorless vanilla role… The Blame SurgePox was a bit of a tease; I have no problem with SurgePox or with vanilla roles, of course. Most people in an Allstar Game simply expect a powerful role and all. Having one here was a nice little change; Game 10 had one, so why not20? Closest this got to having flavor was literally just describing the personality of a generic Kingdom citizen, fearful, trying to survive, yet out to fulfill his master’s unknown wishes (as he had been made a pawn at that point)

A lot of people I know would have been discouraged by getting this role, so I was kind of concerned that it would cause someone to go inactive and possibly get modkilled. Thankfully, that worry was unfounded. Smash is a good player anyways, so he didn’t mind. He played this sort of role as it’s supposed to be played; focused on in-thread discussion and appropriate scumhunting. Initially he started out slow, but still followed along, certainly enough to correctly guess Surge as scum by day 2. His activity the first few dayphases was low but concentrated; as the posts he made were certainly significant, pointing out Sah’s softclaim (the bluff), fingering Surge as mafia, and a few others… it was day 4 that he really came into his own and played hard.

Having been manipulated by Requiem, largely to his skill, after Sah died the first time, he then proceeded to fight for every inch. His banter in the private forum with Requiem was very intelligent, and similarly his play in the main thread was quite brilliant. Essentially, while Sah was vigorously attacking Fedaykin, Smash ardently DEFENDED Fed and pushed on SPOONMAN as a probable manipulator/puppet. When Fed was lynched as mafia (alongside a second Sah lynch), this led Spoon to look HIGHLY suspicious, as while Fed was mafia, he wasn’t a MB, and Sah was still a pawn, just as smash had suggested.

Unfortunately, his immediate connecting of the pawns to the Hierophant Day 4 caused the Coalition to kill him that nightphase, coupled with his targeting Spoonman and thus defending Fed… Essentially he seemed like a likely mafian or MB, all things considered. That said, when he flipped pawn, his work came to fruition, as Spoon, Arbiter of the Coalition, was up for lynch. It also fit into the story flavor well: Essentially, the Hierophant, out to free the people by any means necessary, used his pawn, smashbro, to facilitate a rebellion against the Coalition.

Yet Requiem beat out Spoonman for the lynch by a slim margin; the Coalition was able to resist the Hierophant. However, the Avalanchians blew up Requiem, leading Spoon to be lynched, thereby ending the Manipulative_Bastard’s schemes; in the story, the Avalanchians used his death as a distraction to assassinate Spoonman, following the rule of the Executioners mechanic by which a member of the ruling party would be assassinated by the other party upon lynch.

All in all, this was a nice game played by smashbro once more. When it counted, he became active, played hard, and made some really nice plays that, had day 6 gone differently, could have helped Requiem in the long run.

Quaetam
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Weldar on Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:29 am

Quaetam wrote:
Weldar had correctly guessed a number of scum roles (Requiem, hudsonboy, Johnny I think, Surge, and one or two of the other Avalanchians, as well as Relmitos.

Actually I didn't guess that many mafians. My final suspect list was: Hudson, Relm, Req, Warchamp, Avos, Minby and TJ. Not actually that many mafians but technically no true townies either, and I had almost every 3rd party so that's something.

Also yeah as Camilla picked up on day 1 I was dropping hints I was Karkat. I wasn't gonna outright say fuckass or anything to make it super obvious (you know that catchphrase of Karkat's he's said all of once in canon) but enough that people who got a memo from Karakt and were told I'd be leaving hints would put it together (since I was forbidden from straight up saying I was Weldar in the memos). I also made an effort to use words with an ou in them as a further hint. Relm picked up on that one but interpreted it as me pretending to be Raya (protip, Aussies do that too).

I'm not a Vacuum!
[quote="Quaetman"]
There was a flash of lightning, and the figure’s visage was illuminated for a moment, a single, terrifying moment, a revelation that seemed to stop the world dead.

“Checkmate,” said Weldar, and fired his bullet into JGH27’s heart.
[/quote][quote="King Avalanche"] I doubt any of our craniums will come out of this game a virgin cause Weldar is gonna fuck them all.[/quote]

Weldar
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Doctor Shulk on Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:11 am

Ravaged by night actions. I like that terminology. Wink

My Growlithe, a male? Please, Q. Check your privilege. Razz

(also how do i shot mafia)

Eisen played very well, I think. Sonix, I'm sorry I doubted you. Weldar, one day you will live to the end of a Mafia game.

Doctor Shulk
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Back to top Go down

Post  Relmitos on Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:58 pm

Weldar wrote:I also made an effort to use words with an ou in them as a further hint. Relm picked up on that one but interpreted it as me pretending to be Raya (protip, Aussies do that too).

You did that under the assumption that I read Homestuck for some odd reason. Like hell I knew what you were doing. I even told you that when you told me your role name. You need to stop targeting me N1 all the time good sir Razz

(pro tip; get over it, I've never seen you do the ou thing, iirc anyways)

Relmitos
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Weldar on Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:39 pm

What no I didn't. I tired to use similar language in the memos and in my post hints for people who had no idea what the fuck a Karkat was and the ou thing was another hint that had nothing to do with Homestuck. The dropping some Homestuck knowledge was another hint too, that I myself read Homestuck, wasn't supposed to require any Homestuck knowledge just narrow down the suspect field for me (but yes admittedly Homestuck knowledge would have made it a bit easier). And yeah look back again, I have always spelled things with an ou but I can totally understand how people miss such a small thing. (Pro tip: That pro tip wasn't actually directed at you Relm. I only brought it up since both you and Q misinterpreted that one so I was just stating it as a fact for everyone else. That's the kind of small detail that can come in useful in mafia.)

I'm not a Vacuum!
[quote="Quaetman"]
There was a flash of lightning, and the figure’s visage was illuminated for a moment, a single, terrifying moment, a revelation that seemed to stop the world dead.

[/quote][quote="King Avalanche"] I doubt any of our craniums will come out of this game a virgin cause Weldar is gonna fuck them all.[/quote]

Weldar
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Relmitos on Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:09 pm

The opener of your prison PM was this:

"CURRENT carcinoGeneticist [CCG] RIGHT NOW opened memo on board FRUITY RUMPUS MAFIA FACTORY
CCG: HEY THERE FUCKASS THIS IS YOUR GLORIOUS LEADER SPEAKING.
CCG: JUST LETTING YOU ALL YOU'RE ALL A BUNCH USELESS QUIVERING SHAME GLOBES
CCG: TRY AND ACTUALLY GET SOMEONE KILLED NEXT TIME FUCKERS.

Okay that's enough of that, I can't keep up this character very well and typing in a colour like that is annoying. Anyhow Sup Relm how's it going, in case you didn't gather that from that little act up there this is Karkat Vantas, friendly neighbourhood jailer.

What was I SUPPOSED to think?

Relmitos
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Weldar on Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:32 pm

Okay I guess I should have said Karakt Vantas from Homestuck but still. If you've read homestuck the effort to be in character should lead you to expect the person writing to have also read it. If you didn't understand that part at all you'd assume the writer of it does and has thus probably read Homestuck. When told I'd left hints I was hoping that those familiar would associate the unusual for me swearing with Karkat and those not would spot the link between the swearing and the profanity laden in character part. I was going to be opening all my memos in character on that basis. I was simply trying to drop as many different hints as possible since I was forbidden from straight up roleclaiming in the memo.

I'm not a Vacuum!
[quote="Quaetman"]

Weldar
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Relmitos on Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:41 pm

I probably would've spent more time thinking about it then I did, then N1 ended and the need to think about it just kinda went away.

Relmitos
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Doctor Shulk on Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:52 pm

woah shit guys calm the fuck down, it's just a game after all. A very good game, but a game nonetheless.

And hey, now you know that we do spell words the correct way, Relm. The more you know! (And knowing is half the battle.)

Doctor Shulk
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Back to top Go down

Post  Relmitos on Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:12 pm

Eh? I didn't get a hostile vibe from Weldar, hopefully the same for him. Not irate or anything at all. Wasn't meant to be offensive or anything.

Relmitos
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SpoonMan Abrams X on Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:14 pm

WELL I'M FEELING HOSTILE! RABBLERABBLERABBLE

jk, I enjoy these roll explinations so far, as well as my frequent mention in the playing out of a lot of these shenanigans~

SpoonMan Abrams X
Dedede's Enforcer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 4:02 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top