The Body Politic

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Body Politic

Post  Raya on Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:34 pm

Omicron Austin wrote:
We learned a few things about mustard gas, I suppose.

Nuclear weapons are definitely a more humane option.

I have to disagree with you there, nuclear weapons are far, far worse than gas attacks.

All thing considered, gas weapons are actually pretty rubbish weapons of war. They only effect a limited area, are affected by wind conditions, easily blow back onto your side, don't damage infrastructure and have a surprisingly low kill rates. The British army kept detailed records of gas attacks on their own side and once the countermeasures were in place the death rate was <3%. As awful as the physical injuries caused were, something like 60% of casualities were back on the fighting line in a few weeks.

Nuclear weaponry however is absolutely horrific. You are only instantly killed if you're close to the epicentre. If you're not, you're suddenly in Hell on earth. The statements of people who survived the blast are just too awful to put into words. There were people staggering around with empty eye sockets, their eyeballs liquefied by the light. People with the patterns of their kimonos burnt onto their bodies like brands. People apparently dressed in rags, only for the 'rags' to actually be their skin, sloughing off them in sheets. One survivor recounted how he grabbed the arms of an injured person to help them only for their flesh to come away at the bone. Even if you avoided all this, the blast destroyed infrastructure. Thousand died from this alone, trapped inside burning buildings, crushed by rubble. There were people lacerated with shards of glass to the extent they were like hedgehogs.

And then of course there's the radiation sickness, quite frankly the most awful, painful way to die. It's a drawn out, agonising death, and it can still afflict you long after the initial blast. After that there's the illnesses that follow, such as cancer.

There's a reason it's still debated if the dropping of Fat Man and Little Boy constitute a war crime. The devastation and amount of human suffering they caused are beyond comprehension. Nukes are the most terrible and inhumane weapons of war in human history.

You may have guessed, but nuclear warfare and post-nuclear attacks are one of my interests Razz

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

FUUUUUUCKKKKK YOOOOOUUUUU

the one time I trust you with my back and you plant a dagger in it.

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Omicron Austin on Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:09 pm

Raya wrote:You may have guessed, but nuclear warfare and post-nuclear attacks are one of my interests Razz

Me too; that post of mine was erring more on the sarcastic side, for what it's worth.

I remember this one time in high school history class, we had a WW2 unit.  There was a large list of topics to choose from to do a report on, and no two people could pick the same one.  When he asked who wanted to do a report on Fat Man and Little Boy, I was the only person who wanted to do it, and I was like, "Seriously?  I figured the whole class would want this one!"

Omicron Austin
Savior in Green

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sahrimnir on Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:06 am

Three days left until election day and all the polls predict that the left wing will win this time! Yay! Eight years with a right-wing government are more than enough!

Sahrimnir
Bowser's Right Hand

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SnakeInABox on Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:12 am

YAAAAAY

SnakeInABox
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sahrimnir on Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:18 pm

This feels very bittersweet.

On the one hand, the red-greens (Social Democrats, Left Party and Green Party) have now got more seats in our parliament than the right-wing Alliance (Moderates, Centre Party, People's Party and the Christian Democrats), which means Fredrik Reinfeldt's time as prime minister has come to an end. Stefan Löfven, party leader of the Social Democrats, will take his place and we will get a red-green government. Also, the Left Party (my party) has grown a little since the last election four years ago.

On the other hand, I was hoping that Feminist Initiative would pass the 4%-limit and join the red-greens. They only got 3.1% and therefore didn't get any seats in our parliament. Even worse, the Sweden-democrats got 13% of the votes. I can't believe 13% of the Swedish voters would vote for the f-ing racists. This also means the red-green government will have a minority rule. They have approximately 44% of the seats in the parliament, which means they will have a hard time actually passing any legislation.

Sahrimnir
Bowser's Right Hand

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:08 pm

Sahrimnir wrote: Even worse, the Sweden-democrats got 13% of the votes. I can't believe 13% of the Swedish voters would vote for the f-ing racists.

Sadly that's the fundamental flaw of democracy: every idiot gets a vote, and that vote has just as much weight as everyone else's.

The major political debate at the moment in the UK is Scottish independence. On Thursday Scotland will vote as to whether or not in stays in the Union or becomes an independent nation.

Personally I hope they stay. Independence will utterly, utterly screw up the Scottish economy, and most of the pro-independence support is just anti-English racism.

What does everyone else think of the debate? Is Scottish independence a good or bad thing?

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:12 pm

As a Scotch-Irish descended American I say they go for it! :B

Steam: smashbro815
3DS/Pokemon X&Y: 1048-8610-9932
"I wish I had a magical spaceship made of yellow ideas that could go in space with like a tiger wearing a purple flower, and everything would be colored happyness:)" - SurgePox
"All Pokemon are just Ditto anyway" - Raya
"Krystal's Ok. But what about Umbreon. Now thats a sexy Pokemon, like a sports car." - Dismal

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:33 pm

Smashy B wrote:As a Scotch-Irish descended American I say they go for it! :B

And herein lies the problem with the pro-independence supporters. Are you saying yes because it’s in the country’s best interests, or because you have a romanticised view of what independence actually is?

The term ‘independence’ is a little misleading, as Scotland is already a country in its own right- it’s not like the English are evil colonial overlords with them. The Union is simply a collection of countries who work together as one for the benefit of all of them. Scotland already enjoys considerable political freedoms compared to the other countries in the Union (for example, Scottish parliament can vote on English laws, but English parliament can’t vote on Scottish laws). The debate is whether or not it wants to remain in the Union. It really, really should, because breaking away is going to be the worst thing Scotland could do to itself.

- The economy is going to suffer horrendously. Whether the Scottish nationalists like it or not, England is the financial heart of the UK, and that’s where most of the Union’s money comes from. Aside from losing this income stream, many Scottish businesses have said that in the event of independence they’ll relocate to England, simply because that’s where their customers are (England has a population of 53 million, Scotland 5 million). That’s going to be a significant amount of jobs and income lost.

- The NHS is taxpayer funded, and leaving the Union is going to leave the Scottish NHS with a £400 million ($653 million) shortfall. Where exactly is the money going to come from to plug the gap? Same with social and public spending, that’s going to have to be slashed to cover the costs.

- Scotland’s share of the national debt is approx. 200x their GDP. How is that going to be paid off?

- There’s going to be a massive hole in the national defence. The Royal Navy, Air Force and Army serve the UK as a whole, no matter which Union nation they come from. What’s Scotland going to do without this joint defence force?

- Not being part of the UK means Scotland will not automatically gain EU membership. Unlike Norway it doesn’t have the natural resources to strongly compete in European markets, so will have to rely on gaining EU membership…which again it’s going to struggle with paying for. The EU is highly unpopular, but again it’s that or get shafted in the markets.

- Speaking of the EU, one of its membership conditions is that member states have to follow its laws. The UK has a nearly unique position in that we can choose to ignore following certain laws (since a) we're an island nation and b) like to pretend we're not part of Europe anyway). Scotland however won't have that power, nor will it have the leverage to negotiate the same rights. It will be follow the EU rulings or else. Guess how well that will go down.

- Scotland still wants to keep the British sterling as their currency, which they legally can, but not being part of the currency’s mother country means they have no say in inflation, won't be able to mint currency etc. If they switch to a new currency it’s going to cost an absolute fortune and be a nightmare in terms of infrastructure changes, fines, legislation etc. The Bank of England have said they absolutely do not want Scotland to keep the sterling because they predict it will be like Greece and the Euro- the country's economy tanks and drags the currency down for everyone else.

- Since they will no longer get the BBC they won’t be able to watch Doctor Who.

The pro-independence campaign has just been flag-wavers with an idealised version of an independent Scotland, full of Rob Roys and kilts and a nice border to keep the English out. They’re not looking at the effect it will have on the country, or that staying in the Union makes Scotland stronger. I really hope the people at the polls today realise that.

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SnakeInABox on Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:18 pm

Woooo go Scotland!!!!!!! Kilts kilts loch ness monster lamb stew!!!!

SnakeInABox
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:08 am

Raya, so from what I understand, Scotland is your version of Texas.

"I wish I had a magical spaceship made of yellow ideas that could go in space with like a tiger wearing a purple flower, and everything would be colored happyness:)" - SurgePox
"Krystal's Ok. But what about Umbreon. Now thats a sexy Pokemon, like a sports car." - Dismal

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SnakeInABox on Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:40 pm

ROTFLMAO

SnakeInABox
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:26 pm

Smashy B wrote:Raya, so from what I understand, Scotland is your version of Texas.

Sorry Smash, Yorkshire claimed that first. Bigger than anywhere else, funny accents and everyone has a gun Razz

Spoiler:

Am very glad Scotland decided to stay, though now it's putting up with the wailing and gnashing of pro-independence supporters who can't understand why people voted to safeguard their country's future rather than tell the English to fuck off. The No vote winning isn't the end of things though, there's going to be a lot of sweeping reforms. Scotland is going to be granted more powers, but at the same time so is England; there's currently a motion to remove the ability of Scottish MPs to vote on English issues. Again the pro-independence supporters are complaining, but as English MPs can't vote on Scottish issues I can't really see what the problem is.

It's going to be interesting to see the long-term effects of this, and if the referendum is going to rise again in a few years like Quebec.

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sahrimnir on Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:21 pm

So apparently we're going to have a new election in March.

As I've mentioned before, the eight parties in our parliament are divided into three blocs: The left-wing, the right-wing and the racists (the latter consists of one party, the Sweden-democrats). The left-wing won the election in September, but it didn't get a majority (they got more votes than either of the other two blocs, but less than 50% of the total). This means that our new left-wing government ran into some trouble today when they were trying to pass their budget proposal. You see, as long as no other budget proposal gets more votes than the one from the government, it will pass, the government can rule, and everything would be fine. However, the Sweden-democrats decided that they wanted to fuck things up. Rather than following the custom and laying down their votes after their own budget proposal had been shot down, they decided to support the right-wing budget. This means the left-wing government's budget proposal is shot down and they can't rule as a government because they don't have a budget, so new election!

If you want more details about this mess, you can read this: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/dec/03/sweden-far-right-democrats-immigration-vote-government

Sahrimnir
Bowser's Right Hand

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:56 pm

Can we talk about the Sony drama that's been kicking off?

Sony make a film poking fun at North Korea. North Korea, or someone sympathetic to them, hacks Sony due to Sony's computer systems being as secure as a chocolate teapot. Embarrassing details are released. Hackers then threaten 9/11-esque attacks on cinemas if film is released. Sony cave in, because being able to guess passwords means you obviously have the capacity to carry out major terrorist actions on 180,000+ locations simultaneously. 

So what do you make of it? Did Sony do right, or are they setting a dangerous precedent? Personally I'm thinking the latter...

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Minby_Aran on Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:34 pm

They're caving because they know or think that whoever hacked them has more sensitive information that they can't risk getting out. They aren't worried about attacks, they're worried about their image, or security.

Minby_Aran
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile http://valiant-brawlers.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post  TD260 on Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:01 pm

Sony also stored passwords in a folder named "PASSWORDS" AND KEPT THEM IN PLAINTEXT. SONY'S SECURITY IS SO FULL OF HOLES PEOPLE ARE USING IT TO STRAIN PASTA.

TD260
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Minby_Aran on Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:12 pm

Man, don't be silly. A pasta strainer has way fewer holes than Sony's security.

Minby_Aran
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile http://valiant-brawlers.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:04 pm

This counts as politics I guess.

Today was the funeral procession of King Richard III, which I attended. King Richard was the last English monarch to be slain in battle, in 1485. At that time England was in the middle of a civil war (the War of the Roses), the final battle taking place at Bosworth (fairly close to where I live). Richard was killed at the Battle of Bosworth, his body paraded in the nearby city of Leicester before disappearing from history. A few years ago his body was rediscovered (under a car park of all places), and now it's been studied it's going to be reburied. Today his coffin was taken from the battlefield site, through several villages, then through Leicester city centre into the cathedral. A service was held and his burial will be on Thursday.

I actually entered the lottery for tickets to the service, but sadly didn't get selected so went to watch the funeral cortege instead. There were massive crowds all along the route to see his coffin pass by, with people throwing white roses (the symbol of his house) as it went past. I watched the service on TV later, it was pretty moving. The slogan for the burial is 'Dignity And Respect', giving Richard the funeral that a monarch deserves. Mainly because the last time he entered Leicester his battered body was naked over the back of a horse with soldiers sticking spears up his arse. He got much better treatment this time round Razz

His coffin is currently in repose so people can pay their respects, and apparently from tomorrow you can pay them online. King Richard was a pivotal figure in English history, so it's worth checking out.

(Fun fact: I'm a descendant of one of Richard III's officers. He was probably laying low for a while afterwards...)

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Avalanche on Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:18 pm

So any of you having any thoughts about that loudmouthed reality show star becoming involved in politics?

Spoiler:

I can't believe Kanye West wants to run in 2020 Razz

Avalanche
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TD260 on Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:42 pm

At this point I'd fuckin believe it.

TD260
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:19 pm

I kinda want Trump to get the nomination just so the Republican party can implode on itself and have the Libertarian party take it's place. Even if Trump gets the nomination, he won't be elected president. At least I fucking hope. 

Though, I think if hypothetical Biden were to throw his hat in, get the nomination, and then have Bernie as his VP running mate, no Republican combination would stand a chance.

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JGH27 on Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:04 am

We have our election next month. Everyone wants to see Harper (current Prime Minister) gone. The only threats are Justin Trudeau (Riding on his namesake and full of contradictory promises) and Brian Mulclaire (Running for the NDP (New Democratic Party). He seems to have some good ideas but also seems full of shit at the same time in some core areas.

Personally I don't want to see any majority government, I want a Conservative minority or if Harper DOES get the boot then NDP with a minority. What I DON'T want is anything Liberal with Trudeau in power.

Ontario, my province, is seeing enough damage by the Liberals over the past decade + of power. We are in debt that has no end in sight and are stuck for another 2 years or so of a majority government. Immediately upon being elected to the majority, Kathleen Wynne (who looks like Orville Reddenbacher (sp?) legit) immediately created an assistant Finance Minister position at six figures plus the usual government benefits to help 'balance' the budget.

Yup, I'm a little annoyed here lol

JGH27
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:44 pm

Ladies and gentlemen, the Lord Mayor of London.

Yeah, that's a 10 year old boy getting smashed. Politics!

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JGH27 on Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:42 pm

Well.....goodbye Canada :'(

The one thing I did NOT want happening happened. A Liberal majority. 4 years of free reign for the money spending pricks.

JGH27
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pyrotrap on Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:34 am

Smashy B wrote:I kinda want Trump to get the nomination just so the Republican party can implode on itself and have the Libertarian party take it's place. Even if Trump gets the nomination, he won't be elected president. At least I fucking hope. 

I actually read some article the other day that this years election might cause both parties to start to collapse, though it would be more likely for the GOP. This could actually be something good for the US, because recent polls have shown people are disillusioned with both main parties, so we could use a change. While I was in high school I had thought it might be better if we listened to George Washington and not have political parties, but my AP US teacher played devils advocate and suggested that without parties, two similar candidates could both run and take votes away from each other causing another candidate to win despite the policies shared by the two being favored by the majority of Americans. So now I'm not quite sure if we'd be better off with or without the parties, but I do think we could use a change in the main ones at least.

Pyrotrap
Riff Raff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:08 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top