The Body Politic

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Body Politic

Post  DRTJR on Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:28 pm

Some things that are illegal in most states that are legal in others, like in Nevada prostitution is legal. In Florida theft is legally described as to temporraly or permantly deprive the true owner of the use and benifit of their property.

DRTJR
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Warchamp7 on Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:57 am

Smashy B wrote:but I'd rather vote for a guy my views align more with than do the "lesser of two evils" thing.

And if your entire country did that, it wouldn't be so fucked up.

Warchamp7
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DarkFalco on Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:45 am

Warchamp7 wrote:
Smashy B wrote:but I'd rather vote for a guy my views align more with than do the "lesser of two evils" thing.

yes and no. There is still the stupid electoral college in the way. A president could get the popular vote, but still lose because he doesn't have enough votes from the electoral college. It's stupid, and something we need to do away with. It was created because at the time most americans knew little about gov't and many were illiterate. They had the representatives there because they did know about the gov't policies and could help guide things in the way the people wanted. Today though, most americans have at least a good working knowledge of things and don't need this help, and it's just become a hindrance because at times politicians have managed to sway these representatives from representing their people and representing what the politicians want. I really like Gary Johnson for a lot of his ideas, and Jill Stein for quite a few of hers, doing away with the electoral college being one of those. I also liked her for calling Obama out since he said he'd use science not bias where polices come in, which unfortunately hasn't happened with the use of marijuana. I like Obama for most things, but I am disappointed that he hasn't made a change in the legality of marijuana, not just for the purpose of smoking, but for opening up a HUGE source of revenue for the U.S, and saving the spending of trillions on the drug war. In the past two years more people have been arrested for marijuana as the rest of the illegal drugs combined. If we were to legalize marijuana, and only marijuana, the country would save so much, and be able to regulate it so drug cartels can't get in on it anymore. The money for this could be put towards education or something of that sort.

DarkFalco
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/jessica.ninness?ref=profile

Back to top Go down

Post  .. on Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:08 am

Yes, and just imagine how much Taco Bell will make at 3 AM.

OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DarkFalco on Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:19 am

exactly The economy will see a huge boom of activity all around Razz

DarkFalco
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:25 am

DarkFalco wrote:I like Obama for most things, but I am disappointed that he hasn't made a change in the legality of marijuana, not just for the purpose of smoking, but for opening up a HUGE source of revenue for the U.S, and saving the spending of trillions on the drug war.
Obama has been closing medical marijuana dispensers in California. So rather than doing anything to legalize it, he's taken the Bush approach of shutting down pot shops, going against his 2008 campaign promise of not trying to circumvent state medical marijuana laws.

Also, apparently the Taco Bell in San Luis Obispo is the highest grossing Taco Bell in California (so I've heard, maybe highest in USA, but Idk), and it makes the most money between the hours of midnight and 2am. Thought I'd hare because of Outlaw's pic.

Steam: smashbro815
3DS/Pokemon X&Y: 1048-8610-9932
"I wish I had a magical spaceship made of yellow ideas that could go in space with like a tiger wearing a purple flower, and everything would be colored happyness:)" - SurgePox
"All Pokemon are just Ditto anyway" - Raya
"Krystal's Ok. But what about Umbreon. Now thats a sexy Pokemon, like a sports car." - Dismal

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fedaykin on Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:29 am

Is dope really such a big issue? I mean, don't you have more pressing problems?

Fedaykin
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sahrimnir on Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:37 am

Quick summary of Swedish politics: Our parliament currently contains eight parties (a party has to get at least 4% of the votes in order to get seats in parliament). These eight are divided into three groups.

The group currently in power (since 2006) is called Alliansen (The Alliance). It consists of:
-Moderaterna (The Moderates): The biggest right-wing party. Our current prime minister, Fredrik Reinfeldt, belongs to this party.
-Folkpartiet Liberalerna (The Liberal People's Party): Basically just another right-wing party. They claim to have education as one of their primary focuses, though in my opinion they've got some weird educational policies.
-Centerpartiet (The Centre Party): As the name says, they're the closest to the centre (though still right-wing).
-Kristdemokraterna (The Christian Democrats): Conservative Christians.

On the left we've De Rödgröna (The Red-Greens):
-Socialdemokraterna (The Social Democrats). The biggest left-wing party.
-Vänsterpartiet (The Left Party). The party furthest to the left. People occasionally call them communists (and former Left Party leader Lars Ohly once referred to himself as a communist).
-Miljöpartiet (The Green Party). The party closest to the centre on this side of the spectrum, though still firmly on the left. This is the party that I'm currently leaning towards.

In the last election in 2010, an eighth party managed to get into the parliament. They're called Sverigedemokraterna (The Sweden Democrats). They're xenophobes and that's pretty much all they are. Because of their xenophobic policies, all the other seven parties have refused to cooperate with them. In fact, since the Alliance didn't get a majority of the seats in parliament, the Alliance and the Green Party have made a deal that they will cooperate on issues concerning immigration just so the Sweden Democrats won't have any influence there. The Sweden Democrats is also the most dysfunctional party in the current parliament. It is quite amusing hearing the party leader, Jimmie Åkesson, trying to convince people they're not racists while his fellows keep saying things that prove they are.

My hopes for the next election is that the Red-Greens will get back in power and that the Sweden Democrats will fall out of the parliament.

Raya wrote:
DRTJR wrote:In my opinion the Republicans have the sounder fiscal and Foreign policies

Bashing and threatening economically powerful countries, invading others and stirring up endless shit in the Middle East? Those are terrible policies. All it's doing is making America enemies and will disrupt the economy. Look at all the shit Obama was left to attempt to clean up.
I agree with Raya on this. How the heck do the Republicans have sound foreign policies? Take it from the foreigners, guys. When it comes to what the rest of the world think of you, Obama is the best thing that could have happened to America.

As for the fiscal policies: As I've already mentioned I'm left-leaning and Sweden in general is much further to the left than America (some people say our right-wing is further to the left than your left-wing, which might be somewhat of an overstatement, but not a big overstatement). I can see some of the right-wing's points, but I simply don't agree with them or have different priorities.

Sahrimnir
Bowser's Right Hand

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  .. on Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:38 am

Fedayking wrote:Is dope really such a big issue? I mean, don't you have more pressing problems?

Honestly, that is what everyone should be saying when Marijuana, Gay Marriage, and Abortion are brought up.

OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SurgePox on Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:40 am

Fedayking wrote:Is dope really such a big issue? I mean, don't you have more pressing problems?
It is to us because we are young people and young people tend to be more impassioned about social issues.
Sahrimnir wrote:Quick summary of Swedish politics: Our parliament currently contains eight parties (a party has to get at least 4% of the votes in order to get seats in parliament).
This is called proportional representation and it absolutely fucking rules. Almost everyone I know who comes to learn about this system in America always comes to like it more than our winner-take-all representation where the entire representation of a region in the legislature goes to whomever wins a majority. Not only does proportional representation create a more balanced picture of the political makeup of all groups, majority and minority, but it makes it viable for more than one political party to have success and represent and make change for a constituency. Political policy is NOT a binary designation, there are far more perspectives than just left and right.
Warchamp7 wrote:

Winner-take-all elections make it difficult to have more than two viable parties, usually center-left and center-right. People chose the "lesser evil" because those are the only candidates who can be viable to win in most situations (an extreme shift in political climate can change this) and most people want to maximize their votes by choosing a candidate that they are likely to be able to affect the outcome by voting for. I can extrapolate on this if need be because it's actually kinda fascinating.

smashbro wrote:another_smash_brother: Imma love my pokemanz
another_smash_brother: thay pwn bitches
another_smash_brother: thats when they ride on bitches

SurgePox
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  .. on Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:54 am

But like I was saying in the other thread.

Social Issues are just tools for politicians to work with. I don't have to believe what I am saying, just choose a side I think will give me more votes. Afterwards, I wouldn't do anything about it.

OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SurgePox on Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:58 am

Outlaw wrote:But like I was saying in the other thread.

Social Issues are just tools for politicians to work with. I don't have to believe what I am saying, just choose a side I think will give me more votes. Afterwards, I wouldn't do anything about it.
Because social issues are usually minority vs minority issues, with the rest being neutral parties, this is correct, they can usually just take a side and ignore whichever group they supported once in power since they can work to appease a larger majority with other policy areas.

That's not to say that social policy and civil rights aren't incredibly important.

smashbro wrote:another_smash_brother: Imma love my pokemanz
another_smash_brother: thay pwn bitches
another_smash_brother: thats when they ride on bitches

SurgePox
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  .. on Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:11 pm

SurgePox wrote:
That's not to say that social policy and civil rights aren't incredibly important.

Definitely, I am not saying we shouldn't worry about it. But lets not base our candidate decisions over petty social issues. (Petty for now, because we have other things to worry about.)

OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Doctor Shulk on Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:12 pm

Outlaw wrote:

Honestly, that is what everyone should be saying when Marijuana, Gay Marriage, and Abortion are brought up.

I see gay marriage and abortion as important problems, marijuana not so much. I guess that's the way I've been brought up over here, I don't recall marijuana ever coming up as a thing to campaign about in Australia. Abortion has been brought up a few times, often put to conscience vote in parliament (it hasn't been legalized, though). Then again, my view on abortion is basically that if the mother or child's life is at risk, or the mental health of the mother is at risk, then she should be able to have an abortion, which I think is something you're able to do.

Some states in Australia have legalized civil unions, but not marriage. This is more of a state thing, though it does come up in federal politics quite a bit. Interestingly, neither side seems to support it (the current health minister, by the way, is a lesbian who has just adopted a child with her partner, and it's interesting to see her support the prime minister's anti gay marriage stance).

Doctor Shulk
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile http://gangreldorf.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Vivienne Vex on Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:00 pm

Outlaw wrote:

Stuff that may not be important to you may mean a lot to others.

Vivienne Vex
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  .. on Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:06 pm

Viero wrote:
Outlaw wrote:

Stuff that may not be important to you may mean a lot to others.

I knew you would say that to me. And obviously none of those have anything to do with me. But I find the economy to be might more important than Social Issues right now. People constantly being in an uproar about Social Issues is why I can't stand politics anymore.

OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  barda_ehmos on Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:09 pm

as at 1 am i can't be undestand, i try to be short.

i want :
- gay marriage become legal.
- abortion already legal with conditions.
- marijuana ... i need to think sometimes about it.

barda_ehmos
Wario's Bodyguard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DRTJR on Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:25 pm

I like the electoral collage, it limits the influence of states like California, Texas, and my home state of Florida and gives a greater emphasis to the medium to smaller states that are split down the middle. Besides Clinton never won the majority of the vote and we NEVER here a complaint about that. The Electoral collage adds a layer of strategy to the election that it would not otherwise posses.

DRTJR
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Warchamp7 on Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:37 pm

Can't put tax on a plant, therefore the government can't make money off it and therefore, it stays illegal.

It's why you can't buy straight up herbal remedies in the states. They need to process and/or modify it in some way for it to be an actual product, and just not just a raw plant.

Warchamp7
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  .. on Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:42 pm

Warchamp7 wrote:

Can't put tax on a plant, therefore the government can't make money off it and therefore, it stays illegal.

It's why you can't buy straight up herbal remedies in the states. They need to process and/or modify it in some way for it to be an actual product, and just not just a raw plant.

This would explain why, very interesting to hear.

OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DarkFalco on Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:05 am

Warchamp7 wrote:

actually no, so long as they don't claim to have health benefits http://web.campbell.edu/faculty/nemecz/George_home/references/Herbal.html

DarkFalco
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Back to top Go down

Post  Avalanche on Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:22 pm

I am terribly sorry, but if I wont someone else will

Avalanche
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  .. on Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:37 pm

Ha, I gotta like that. The raps themselves were not that great, but I am glad they took a non biased stance and made both Mitt and Obama look like idiots.

OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Doctor Shulk on Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:06 pm

I'm actually curious to hear about the policies from either side. I mean sure, I don't live in the US so obviously I'm not voting and it doesn't directly affect me, but I am pretty curious.

See, all my American election information has come from Tumblr, where it's like "the world will end if Mitt Romney becomes President, especially if you're female" and painting Obama as a god. So I'd be interested to hear the facts rather than conjecture.

Doctor Shulk
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile http://gangreldorf.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  .. on Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:27 pm

Obviously an overreaction, people said the world would end if Obama became President, obviously that didn't happen. But I guess that doesn't count because that was the Republican-Conservatives saying it. So it MUST be true if Democrat-Liberals are saying it!

Everyone says these stupid "I'LL MOVE TO CANADA!", or "THE WORLD WILL END!" phrases. It doesn't matter who is elected, the opposite side will just bitch bitch bitch.

Which is another reason why I can't stand our politics. The internet, I find, is generally Democrat Biased. At least, on most sites I have been to. So I wouldn't be surprised if that is all you have heard.

OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:49 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top