Subtitles again

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Subtitles again

Post  S!lver on Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:31 am

First: Hi there. Smile

And now I will come directly to the topic. Razz

I know that there was a huge discussion about making subtitels in 2009/2010 in the DVD-Release topic and, if I remember it right, one or two topics dealed also with it. But the last ones were declined due to the terms of TheEscapist back then.

I am curouis if there are still any attempts about this topic or any people interesting in doing it? (Or finished projects which would make this topic quite pointless and showing me that I can't research the right way rabbit)
Okay, it has been about three years by now but the forum doesn't seem to be deserted and therefore not absolut impossible. Also as time has passed it may be allowed now to make subtitles or maybe at least write a translated script of the dialogs.
I don't know it would even be possible to include them in a video (and if the producers would agree on this as I would think you have to upload them again on a online-plattform) but maybe someone with more knowledge or connections can tell me about it? Or has a better idea, that would be good, too. xD

This was it for a start. So, thanks for spending your time on reading this post and hopefully someone is willing to answer. ^^

S!lver
Riff Raff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Subtitles again

Post  Raya on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:47 am

Welcome to the forum S!lver! Hope you stay around Smile

Actually putting subtitles on the episodes shouldn't be too hard, since even basic movie making programs can do it. The big thing is the actual translation work. There's an awful lot of dialogue in all those episodes. So it's finding people who are fluent and actually up to the task of translating all the episodes.

I'd volunteer but I don't think the Queen's English counts Razz

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

FUUUUUUCKKKKK YOOOOOUUUUU

the one time I trust you with my back and you plant a dagger in it.

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  S!lver on Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:20 am

Well, wow, this was a fast answer. Smile

So, I assume that there is no transcription out there to work with, right?
May I ask what were/are the (main) problems?
I had think of a lack of endurance to really go through about 3 hours. Also due to the fact that most likely people who don't have magnificent english skills would want subtitles in whatever language, lacked of people who have them and were also willing to correct the english transkript and add the missing things.
Also biggest problem back then was this contract with The Escapist's and his exclusive rights (or at least something along this lines) but I have no clue if this is still the case or not. If it is, it's obvious nothing can be done about it at all.

I don't deny in any kind that this is a lot of (hard) work and time consuming but maybe it help to know what actually made it fail in the past to avoid the same thing happen in a potential future attempt.
I have to admit that it got me interested. But I am also a person who wants to know first about things and possible upcoming obstacles rather than just start something without further thinking, only to see in the middle of the project that it is impossible to accomplish and get frustrated. That's why I ask. Wink

About the other thing, I googled a bit and there are some tools out there for including subtitles. To be honost, I never worked with them, but I am used to Try&Error for hours (sometimes without any useful outcome, but this is a different story Razz). So I agree with you, on the technical aspect that should not be a big problem.
But (this nasty word again... Rolling Eyes) let's say somebody has gone through all of this and actually put subtitles in the series. He certainly would want to share it with others, so it would have to be uploaded somewhere, most likely a video portal like youtube.
The thing is, is this allowed (as the video material is obvious not his own) with/without restrictions/permission? And who would have to be asked anyway and how and where?
I know that many people just upload everything everywhere and most of them get away with any problems at all but I think it's nicer to play it safe. And as I am not familiar in this terms regarding TWBB, I just hope to get on someone who is. Wink

I think, I will end this post now, otherwise it gets to long. It would be cool to get some answers on my questions. ^^

S!lver
Riff Raff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fedaykin on Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:29 am

Well, as the only German native speaker on the forum who actually saw the entire thing, I wouldn't mind it that much, if I had a transcript Razz

Fedaykin
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:40 pm

S!lver wrote:Well, wow, this was a fast answer. Smile

I spend too much time on here Razz

So, I assume that there is no transcription out there to work with, right?

Not that I'm aware of. I assume Matt and Zach had a script typed up, but whether that vanished in the great computer meltdown is anybody's guess. It might be worth getting in contact with some of the cast and seeing if they have a copy, but to be honest it's probably safer to assume there's no transcript.

Also biggest problem back then was this contract with The Escapist's and his exclusive rights (or at least something along this lines) but I have no clue if this is still the case or not. If it is, it's obvious nothing can be done about it at all.

I don't think the Escapist give a stuff anymore tbh. I have no idea if the exclusive rights still exist, but even if they do I doubt they'd be too upset about it.

About the other thing, I googled a bit and there are some tools out there for including subtitles. To be honost, I never worked with them, but I am used to Try&Error for hours (sometimes without any useful outcome, but this is a different story Razz). So I agree with you, on the technical aspect that should not be a big problem.

Windows Moviemaker comes with Windows and lets you add subtitles. It's a bitch to do though. I couldn't recommend a program though, I'm not technically inclined.

The thing is, is this allowed (as the video material is obvious not his own) with/without restrictions/permission? And who would have to be asked anyway and how and where?

Again, I seriously doubt anyone would mind. It would be nice to ask Matt and Zach first of course, but I can't see them having any problems with it.

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

FUUUUUUCKKKKK YOOOOOUUUUU

the one time I trust you with my back and you plant a dagger in it.

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  S!lver on Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:36 am

Thanks for your reply again.

I agree with you, seems like their script is lost. Well, it would have made the task easier but nevertheless somewhere it was written that while recording they improved the lines, so it wouldn't be completly fitting with the actual series.

I thought about this again and I think, I will just give the transcript a try. Otherwise it doesn't seem to get any progress at all or just "Nothing comes from nothing". Razz
Also, at the moment it is more like: Riff Raff enters the forum, Riff Raff jumps on an old discussion which was here and then brought up again, Riff Raff speaks in big words but mostly likely will not move a finger at all, Riff Raff leaves the forum and was never seen again.
To be honest, I probably wouldn't think otherwise. Surprised
I have time to worry about the other thing if the time for it would come and you make some points which get my hopes up that it could possible work out.

I start with episode one and post the raw transcript of this most likely tomorrow or the day after tomorrow. "Raw" due to the fact that my English is only mediocre and I'm certain I will missing some things and get others wrong. Therefore I need at least one person who has the English skills and the will to complete it and give it a better accuracy.
But nevertheless I hope people get more convinced with this if actually something happens. Other than just me blabbering about it. Wink

Fedaykin wrote:Well, as the only German native speaker on the forum who actually saw the entire thing, I wouldn't mind it that much, if I had a transcript Razz

You and I... We have more similarities than you think.
Sorry, I couldn't resist to quote it, because this was the first thing come to my mind after I've seen your post. xD

S!lver
Riff Raff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SnakeInABox on Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:33 pm

If you go through the trouble to transcribe the entirety of TWBB to the best of your ability, I will be more than happy to rewatch the series and correct any mistakes you make.

In the meanwhile, I am going to need proof of your commitment to the project.

Please post in this thread so we may get to know one another.

SnakeInABox
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Doctor Shulk on Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:13 pm

Pretty sure the Escapist lost the exclusive rights after a year.

I've given up hope but I wish you all luck Razz

Doctor Shulk
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile http://gangreldorf.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  SpoonMan Abrams X on Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:26 am

Pretty sure Youtube has the option for users themselves to add subtitles/transcripts to videos. There was a big push for it several months (maybe even almost a year) back on Cinemassacre for AVGN's videos.

SpoonMan Abrams X
Dedede's Enforcer

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/LePieLives

Back to top Go down

Post  Relmitos on Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:06 am

That feature is HORRIBLE though; it tries to translate, but it fails miserably.

Relmitos
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fedaykin on Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:45 pm

Woah, first time I see a German here Razz Inb4 I just terribly insulted you because you're actually Viennese Razz

Fedaykin
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  S!lver on Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:33 am

Fedaykin wrote:Woah, first time I see a German here Razz Inb4 I just terribly insulted you because you're actually Viennese Razz
Well, you make me feel proud, because I have archived something in this forum. It seems like I increased the German-quote by 100%. I’d like to see anyone else doing that. xD

So as I said yesterday, I have now finished episode one. Smile
I made it as an *.pdf file but when another format is more asked for I can go with this (as long as I can convert to it). Because it really needs improvement although I got it better than I thought.
Episode 1 - Twilight Ruin

It has a really "good" start, because I directly completly fail at the first sentence. This is some fantastic premise to work with... but nevertheless, I will not get myself discouraged.

The layout/formation/whatever doesn't look that nice by now but I will care about this after it is complete and has all the wording. It’s not important enough for me to think about it now. Razz
As for now, the number behind the name is the time in the video when they start talking. The red marked are the parts where I am quite unsure if I get it right (??? is where I have no clue at all) while the rest sounds proper and logical but I wouldn't bet my life for it.
I hope this makes it easier for the correction.
Also in regard to the spoken language and accent, I haven't added it, because this is beyond my abilities. If you put great emphasis on this, I have to say, you have to do it yourself, because I can't. Thanks. xD

Also yes, this is the best I can do. Razz
Actually this whole thing is 12 minutes long but it was about 2,5-3 hours work for me.
This is most due to the fact that I was watching this in 0.5 speed. On some parts I was guessing what they could say and look it up in a dictionary if it makes sense or not. Or I tried out similar sounding or written words or just went on searching if somebody has quoted it anywhere (That's why I love this thread Very Happy) but in some cases neither of these tricks works. So, this is why it's more time consuming than I thought first.

I know, regarding this it's a somewhat poor effort/outcome ratio with all the missing things. But when one or some of you are really willing to work with it and get it complete, I will go on for the rest because it is somehow of an interesting challenge and I like those. Smile
And no, I don't want to be reminded how much is left and how long it will take to get there with my speed. And don’t laugh about it, either (you may if I am absent rabbit).
I just don't want to know it for my own sake. Wink

S!lver
Riff Raff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  S!lver on Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:22 am

Sorry for the double-post, hope you don't mind, but I am to lazy to edit the last one and I need to push my counter, you know. Razz

On a more serious way, I've got myself through the next two episodes, meaning I have now finished three of them (which is about 1/6 of the whole series, whoho Cool).
I understand that it is not easy to convince you of my determination and endurance but I hope this gets me a bit more credibility that I know what I get myself into.
But nevertheless it would be really nice to know, if this is actually good enough that you would consider to work with it or not. Because besides this project I'm curious myself what they actually say at some points to be honest. Razz

Especially Kirby is a pain in the ass for me. Don't know why 'cause Ganonstadt and Meta Knight are not half as hard to understand for me as he is. If he weren't quoted quite often I wouldn't even get half of what he's actually saying. Rolling Eyes

On a side-note... can it be that external Links don't work for guests? Well, from now on I just keep the links in their original format so everybody can access them without problems. Wink
http://chronoschaos.ch.ohost.de/TWBB/Episode1.pdf
http://chronoschaos.ch.ohost.de/TWBB/Episode2.pdf
http://chronoschaos.ch.ohost.de/TWBB/Episode3.pdf

S!lver
Riff Raff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:08 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top