He took 40 cakes. That's as many as four tens. AND THAT'S TERRIBLE

View previous topic View next topic Go down

He took 40 cakes. That's as many as four tens. AND THAT'S TERRIBLE

Post  Raya on Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:21 pm

It occurred to me that we don't have a comics thread. One on books, one of anime, but not one specifically for graphic novels. Lets change that. So, who here reads comics? What are you reading now? What are your favourites?

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

FUUUUUUCKKKKK YOOOOOUUUUU

the one time I trust you with my back and you plant a dagger in it.

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: He took 40 cakes. That's as many as four tens. AND THAT'S TERRIBLE

Post  TheTJ on Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:55 pm

You know, Marvel Comics had a deal with Doctor Who back in the 70s during Tom Baker's era. Since then there's been a long line of Doctor Who comics ranging in quality from the first awkward runs to The Forgotten, a great 6-parter.

...C'mon, you KNEW I was gonna say something like that.

EDIT: Also, I thought this thread would be about memes.

TheTJ
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SurgePox on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:32 pm

Homestuck is a comic

smashbro wrote:another_smash_brother: Imma love my pokemanz
another_smash_brother: thay pwn bitches
another_smash_brother: thats when they ride on bitches

SurgePox
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Doctor Shulk on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:33 pm

I like Gunnerkrigg Court, which reminds me I need to check what happened in it this week. Razz

Doctor Shulk
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile http://gangreldorf.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Relmitos on Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:16 pm

I read a whole slew of web comics, it's kinda silly but they're all amusing. To me, at least.

Relmitos
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SnakeInABox on Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:49 pm

I got the latest of the Pearls Before Swine Treasuries yesterday, and I am a happy camper

SnakeInABox
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Avalanche on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:06 pm

Doctor Shemp wrote:I like Gunnerkrigg Court, which reminds me I need to check what happened in it this week. Razz

Oh yeah, fun developments. Totally called it though Razz

Also I read Watchmen. Some parts were better and some parts were worse then the movie.

Avalanche
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SnakeInABox on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:03 am

What the fuck are you talking about "Some parts were worse"

SnakeInABox
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:08 pm

I'm a big fan of graphic novels, though not superheroes, I think they're really boring. I'm lucky enough to live close to an awesome comic book shop, the sort where the staff love their job and remember your name, so I spent more money there than I ought Razz

Just finished reading Grandville, which is, uh, a steampunk detective novel starring an anthromorphic badger in an alternate universe where France won the Napoleonic Wars. It's not as good as I was expecting. LeBrock does more punching than detective work. There's too much going on with characters being introduced every 2 pages. For instance, LeBrock is tracking down the assistant of a murdered professor and goes to his last known address. The landlady says she threw him out for being an opium addict. It would've been easy for the landlady to say "Oh, you can probably find him at this opium den", but no, LeBrock then goes to the house of some bigwig criminal we had no idea existed, punches people, gets told where the assistant is and then goes and find him. There's loads of diversions like this that complicate and slow down the plot. So...yeah, worth a look but not worth buying IMHO. The colouring is lovely though.

King Avalanche wrote:
Also I read Watchmen. Some parts were better and some parts were worse then the movie.

I really didn't like the Watchmen comic. I thought it was so pretentious. And the Ozymandias' master plan was teleporting a giant psychic space vagina? Really?

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Omicron Austin on Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:02 am

Wow, I had no clue we had an anime thread.

I don't read comics. I've read the first 20 or so of the original originals of Marvel, such as the Fantastic Four, Spiderman, Avengers, etc. My dad is, while not into the comics themselves anymore, quite into the universe and most of the more specific knowledge I have is from him. And it's mostly Marvel, because Marvel is cooler.

I read Watchmen a long time ago, a few months before the movie, and I loved it.

Omicron Austin
Savior in Green

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sahrimnir on Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:52 am

I'm a huge fan of comics in general and Marvel in particular. I grew up with Spider-Man and X-Men. Also a part of my childhood that wasn't published by Marvel was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Adventures (or Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles as it was called in Sweden).

Sahrimnir
Bowser's Right Hand

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smashy B on Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:20 am

I've been periodically reading The Walking Dead comic to pass time. Only on issue 7, but I figure since I like the show and the Telltale game, I should read the original material. And it's good.

Steam: smashbro815
3DS/Pokemon X&Y: 1048-8610-9932
"I wish I had a magical spaceship made of yellow ideas that could go in space with like a tiger wearing a purple flower, and everything would be colored happyness:)" - SurgePox
"All Pokemon are just Ditto anyway" - Raya
"Krystal's Ok. But what about Umbreon. Now thats a sexy Pokemon, like a sports car." - Dismal

Smashy B
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Avalanche on Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:23 am

Raya wrote:

King Avalanche wrote:

I really didn't like the Watchmen comic. I thought it was so pretentious. And the Ozymandias' master plan was teleporting a giant psychic space vagina? Really?

Well yeah.....The space vagina was one of the things that I am glad was not in the movie. Also didnt like the symbolismomgwtf comic within the comic. If I remember correctly the character of Rorshach had a bit more depth in the comic but his movie counterpart had such a bad ass voice I immideatly forgave that.

Avalanche
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SnakeInABox on Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:14 pm

Raya wrote:

The Alien teleportation plan was waaaaay better than that stupid "Blame it all on Manhattan" thing. Manhattan, while superpowerful, was still a being of earth, still TECHNICALLY one of them. The entire point of the alien was proving that the world could come together if there was an Outside Force trying to take us down. In the Movie, the Dr is forced to leave and create his own world because he is turned into the enemy, and he does it kind of out of spite at this point. that is such fucking bullshit its not even funny, There's such beauty in him leaving on his own free will, simply because he was hurt by ozymandias' disregard for human life in his quest to save it. Ozy is a perfect example of a hero being "SO HEROIC" that they are a villain. That's the point of the whole graphic novel. Who Watches the Watchmen?

Roy, that's what the sidestory has to do with it all. It was a perfect parallel to the heros journey as the story advances. The kid reading the comic having his own storyline, along with all of those other normal people, that was simply amazing. The kid is reading this story, this piece of fiction the entire time that parallels what the ex-supers are going through right in his very own neighborhood. The boy is oblivious to all of that. He only knows things are hopeless, like the Black Freighter, in the very end, when the monster is teleported in and all of those normal people with their tiny sidestories who were bickering with eachother the whole novel have just enough time to come together and hold on to eachother as they are being obliterated. That's not even mentioning how perfectly he reveals the alien plan, little by little, adding very nicely to the suspense and mystery the entire time. The part with the lovers on the boat? A+

SnakeInABox
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Spontaneous Combustion on Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:01 pm

SnakeInABox wrote:
The Alien teleportation plan was waaaaay better than that stupid "Blame it all on Manhattan" thing. Manhattan, while superpowerful, was still a being of earth, still TECHNICALLY one of them. The entire point of the alien was proving that the world could come together if there was an Outside Force trying to take us down.
This. Also, Manhattan was on USA's side. Blaming it all on him wasn't a good idea, it was stupid, irresponsible and could have just destroyed the world. What if the Soviets hadn't heard early enough that Manhattan also hit New York? They'd have just thought that the US threw the first stone. Ozymandias' plan in the movie may have wrapped the film better together thematically, but it had every chance of starting World War Three instead of preventing it. And how in the hell does this scenario lead into the world peace we're presented? In the end I don't think everyone is going to forget that what Manhattan did to just about all the biggest cities in the world was at least partially America's fault. A former US weapon doesn't really work as a common enemy of all mankind.

The alien plan may have been completely batshit insane, but that's exactly why it worked so well. An extraterrestial threat is really the best way to unite the people of the world. And calling it a deus ex machina would be silly, because the clues were there in just about every goddamn chapter of the comic. We were shown a picture of the goddamn alien, really.

I'm not saying that the movie was bad. It's the best adaptation anyone could have done, and the cuts it had to do were very understandable. But I don't think the ending is even half as good.

Spontaneous Combustion
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SnakeInABox on Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:04 pm

Spontaneous Combustion wrote:The alien plan may have been completely batshit insane, but that's exactly why it worked so well. An extraterrestial threat is really the best way to unite the people of the world. And calling it a deus ex machina would be silly, because the clues were there in just about every goddamn chapter of the comic. We were shown a picture of the goddamn alien, really.

Exactly. The fact that they make the monster is such a big deal! The artists, writers, and scientists all working on making the scariest thing imaginable because they think they're working on a movie. The Comedian getting killed by Ozzy because he found the island where they were making the monster. The brain getting stolen for the monster and the conspiracy theorists going on about it that tied in with the beautiful civilian plot line.

I agree with Spont on the movie not being bad. It was not an awful movie, in any way shape or form. However, yea, the ending isn't even a third as good as the graphic novels.

SnakeInABox
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Doctor Shulk on Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:47 pm

I just saw this and remembered this thread cause of the title, I'd only ever seen the 40 cakes one before. Razz

Doctor Shulk
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile http://gangreldorf.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:46 pm

Bumping from the depths to share this gem I found:

Stand Still. Stay Silent.

A pandemic has swept the world, killing all mammalian life except for 11% of humans and (bizarrely) cats. 90 years later what's left of mankind resides in Scandinavia; Iceland closed its borders early and escaped the pandemic, whereas the people of Norway, Sweden, Finland and Denmark remain in restricted areas. The land beyond is known as the Silent World, a place so feared and maligned people won't even explore the ruins. And alongside the collapse of civilisation, the Old Gods have returned. Trolls and forest spirits stalk the wilds and magic has returned, with a few being able to wield it.

And 90 years after the end, a research set out to uncover the secrets of the Silent World. Poorly funded and horribly under-qualified, but you get what you pay for I guess...

It's a really good comic and I think this comic is fantastic. The art is gorgeous, the setting great and it's a refreshing take on the usual post-apocalyptic fare. The strong Scandinavian theme is lovely and I think Sah in particular will really enjoy it. Go check it out!

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SpoonMan Abrams X on Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:19 am

http://www.weregeek.com/

It's about a group of geeky friends and the games they play. While there is the over-arching plot, etc, there are also the subplots where we get to see in depth to the games they play. Pretty cool stuff.

SpoonMan Abrams X
Dedede's Enforcer

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/LePieLives

Back to top Go down

Post  Avalanche on Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:08 pm

Checking out Comicstorian and Comicsexplained a lot on the youtubes. Really good way to catch up on superhero stuff. Do those count?

Avalanche
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Relmitos on Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:13 am

I'd say some of the best webcomics I follow right now are:

Captain SNES(Doesn't really update all that often anymore, unfortunately, it's got a really interesting story going to it)

Misfile(Updates weekdays, huzzah)

Awaken (Fairly new one and not that far along into it, but it's got a decent enough story line so that it looks like once it really gets started and into the thick of it, it'll be good)

Grrl Power

Zap! (This one is GREAT, the drawing style is a little goofy at first but it improved overtime, unfortunately it is over. On the plus side that means you can just start reading it and expect to actually finish it at some point I suppose)

Girl Genius

Relmitos
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SnakeInABox on Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:50 pm

Smash and I still keep up with The Walking Dead, but it was recently pulled on all the sites we read it free. If anyone knows any good sites to read comic books for free as they come out, hit me up

SnakeInABox
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:36 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top