The Whatever Thread

Page 22 of 41 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31 ... 41  Next

Go down

Re: The Whatever Thread

Post  Fedaykin on Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:53 pm

@Viero: PayPal

It sounds like a good idea, though what do we have to offer to new members? That's one of the key questions. And of course I'd contribute Smile

Give us a deadline. If we raise enough money for the expensive variant, let's go for it. If not, get the cheaper ones.
Fedaykin
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Doctor Shulk on Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:35 pm

Not to be a negative nelly but I really don't think we have anything to offer new members. I mean, the web series ended long ago and they've all gone on to do different things. We have mafia but everyone's even gotten burnt out on that.

Also I'm too broke to contribute Razz otherwise I guess I would, though I'm wondering what we really have to bring in new members (and I'm thinking there isn't really anything).

Also also, you should totally record Matt Mercer saying Chrom's confession line. Razz
Doctor Shulk
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile http://gangreldorf.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Weldar on Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:52 pm

I'm actually not that worried about this place dying. In some ways it's already dead but in others there's no way it could die soon. Those of us left here are entrenched pretty deep, I don't think anyone's going anywhere any time soon. We've kind of moved past being a forum and into just being a community, the forum is where it started and it's still at the centre of it but it's not really the heart of it. Even if something did happen and the forum went down we'd probably still live on as a community. New members certainly wouldn't be a bad thing but yeah I wouldn't really expect it to work that well and I don't think it's something necessary for the forum to survive, it's kind of reached the point at the end of a forum's life cycle but it's one where it tends to hang for a long time.

I'm not a Vacuum!
[quote="Quaetman"]
There was a flash of lightning, and the figure’s visage was illuminated for a moment, a single, terrifying moment, a revelation that seemed to stop the world dead.

“Checkmate,” said Weldar, and fired his bullet into JGH27’s heart.
[/quote][quote="King Avalanche"] I doubt any of our craniums will come out of this game a virgin cause Weldar is gonna fuck them all.[/quote]
Weldar
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TD260 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:48 pm

I'd totally send some money your way, but I also agree with the points previously made. It's one of the reasons that we don't really keep any of the people that stumble across us... I'd love to see some new faces, but what can we offer, really? :/
TD260
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SnakeInABox on Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:12 am

I fully support Camilla, Weldar, and Td on this one. I don't think we need to be looking for new members. I like things the way they are. We finally got some of us moved into cell block B, we don't need more relocations. Our stay here is supposed to be long term, what are we supposed to do with supplies if our numbers double? Do you think we will all be able to stay here a year from now if the group is consuming twice as much food? Look, I know its dangerous out there, and everyone deserves safety. But we risk ours when we open the doors for just anyone.
SnakeInABox
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheTJ on Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:16 am

All of that being said, I'd love some new members and would be totally willing to chip in $25-$50 if this gets rolling.

Any ideas on the design on the card? Maybe some good quotes or something?
TheTJ
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:27 pm

Well no guys, we do have something to offer new members. It's exactly what other forums offer- a community. Yes we're not built around a central theme anymore, but we're still a social site. Things are slow now, but that's because we're stagnating. New members are just the revitalisation we need. Besides, it's always nice having new people around. How else did we all meet each other?

TJ, Fed, thank you for offering to help, that's great and highly appreciated!

TheTJ wrote:All of that being said, I'd love some new members and would be totally willing to chip in $25-$50 if this gets rolling.

Any ideas on the design on the card? Maybe some good quotes or something?

What I was thinking of was one side being a promotional pic of a character, with the other being a quote from said character, the url, a tagline of 'Home of Matt Mercer's TWBB!' and a blurb of some kind ('Video games- Social- Forum games- RPs- Cake'). I'm looking at having different versions of the card for variety, say 300x of 5 characters. If anyone has suggestions or fancies designing some of their own please feel free.

Vivivi-vi Vi-vivi wrote:How would we get you the money?

My apologies, I should have mentioned. As Fed said, Paypal would be best since it's quick, easy and international (a bit like Fed, dohoho). It also saves the hassle of dealing with bank details. My Paypal is lynzoi@yahoo.co.uk

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

FUUUUUUCKKKKK YOOOOOUUUUU

the one time I trust you with my back and you plant a dagger in it.
Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:35 pm

Okay, here's a quick mock up of what I had in mind:

Spoiler:

Yes the back is rubbish, but it's mainly to show the sort of thing I was describing. If anyone wants to have a crack at doing a better one please feel free. Thoughts, comments, suggestions for other quotes for other characters etc etc.

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheTJ on Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:05 pm

So, just came back from Lebowskifest. It was pretty great! I got a T-shirt with the entire paper of Larry's homework on it, there was a game where you tried to throw "The Ringer" from the passenger seat of the car, over the hood, and into a mannequin of Nihilist Nixon.

Also, Kyle Gass' band played a concert. Since there were only 200 people there and most were sitting back a ways I got right up to the stage. After the concert I bought his CD, got it signed, and when I told him how much I enjoyed the concert he looked me dead in the eye and gave me a fist bump. Cool times.

After that we watched the movie which was great, even though the smell of weed was getting a bit strong near the end of it. Fun night overall.
TheTJ
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SnakeInABox on Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:56 am

Oh god the smell of weed you say, goodness that sounds horrible I'm sorry you had to go through that
SnakeInABox
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Quaetam on Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:06 am

Raya I fully support you on this. I think it's a fantastic idea and a wonderful contribution to the community, not that I'd expect any less from you Smile.

I'm willing and ready to help out in any way possible, though I'm not sure how much money I can contribute as I recently spent over 1600 dollars, and need to save the rest of my earnings this summer for a car and academic expenses. However, this place means a lot to me. I've invested a lot of personal effort supporting this community, from work on the Avalanchia Wiki, to hundreds of mafia pages, to who even knows. And more importantly, I consider you guys good friends and an important part of my life.

Td, you ask what we have to offer? Honestly, things like mafia, like the roleplay or any others we could start in the future, like diplomacy; all of these games and pasttimes that have kept us busy across the ages can be amplified, revived, refurbished, and in other ways improved or reimagined with new members. We simply will have to help with the initial push. Bringing in new faces for a fresh mafia/diplomacy game, or starting a new RP, is a perfectly acceptable way to integrate them into the community. My point is we have as much to offer as we're willing to provide. New faces are perfectly possible to reinvigorate the activities we've traditionally had, or perhaps spark new life.

Hell, the left 4 dead group has expanded beyond TWBB, but by getting to know the TWBBers in the group that could be another way to get involved; l4d nights. Not to mention once a certain friend of mine and I complete a certain project, you'll all be enjoying that aspect more :B

The only things we need to be aware of is that if new people start showing up, it would help to have a couple more involved members be willing to reach out to them personally and invite them to join certain games, whatever. Just posting in the newbie thread isn't quite enough; they have to see these things they can become involved with and know that if they join, stuff will happen. Getting involved and having a positive return on that involvement is a good way for people to begin to enjoy a community. It will also require our current members to be accepting of the new faces; this isn't a universal problem, but, for example, Snake, if people join to play mafia, that's no reason to tell them to not. You did this to all the people Spoon invited from ScrewAttack. If that was this forum's stance, I wouldn't be here myself *shrug*. I joined this forum exclusively to play mafia. Now? Now I care about you guys. Welcoming people into the fold, even if it's just for a certain game or certain thing we offer, doesn't mean they won't want to get to know everyone better. In fact, it's the perfect gateway.
Quaetam
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SurgePox on Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:07 pm

SnakeInABox wrote:Oh god the smell of weed you say, goodness that sounds horrible I'm sorry you had to go through that
The smell of weed is actually kind of unpleasant if you don't smoke.

smashbro wrote:another_smash_brother: Imma love my pokemanz
another_smash_brother: thay pwn bitches
another_smash_brother: thats when they ride on bitches
SurgePox
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:58 pm

Thank you Q, both for your support and putting it perfectly.

That's one of the reasons why I'm so keen to do this; this place and the people on it do mean a lot to me. As you've said I've invested a lot too, I've had a lot of good times here, met several of you (even more soon) and you guys got me through some very rough patches. The very least I can do is try to keep us going and try and attract new members. But of course I do need all your help for that.

Don't worry about not contributing much, it all adds up. So far that makes four people who want to contribute, so even if we go Dutch that's only about £15 each, which is nothing really. And if more people join in it'll bring it down even further.

I do agree though, people will have to be a bit more welcoming. It's one thing to be brusque, but sometimes it's getting too close to being nasty and bitchy, and that's what we can really do without.

No comments on the cards? Is everyone fine with them?

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Quaetam on Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:22 pm

Yeah, I really don't like the smell of weed.

What are these cards, Raya?
Quaetam
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Doctor Shulk on Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:12 pm

My main comment on the card is...please don't mention the cake. That was a dark time.
Doctor Shulk
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Back to top Go down

Post  SnakeInABox on Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:21 pm

Yea seriously. I agree again with Camilla. Also, I don't know where your condescending ass got the right to remind us to be nicer around here. At least it's apparent my bark is worse than my bite. A person can't say or do much in defense when they are up against a silver tongue.
SnakeInABox
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Quaetam on Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:32 pm

Calm your tits, I'm giving general advice and using one minor example. Anyone and everyone has the right to advise people on how to approach new blood.
Quaetam
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SnakeInABox on Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:57 pm

That was directed towards Raya
SnakeInABox
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  .. on Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:38 pm

Yeah Raya, what the fuck. Its not like you are a mod or anything. Why do you think you have the right to remind us to be nice? Fuck you and fuck this forum.

OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SnakeInABox on Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:49 pm

Being a mod doesn't grant her the right to try and line us all up in our metaphorical Sunday best so we can suck off a bunch of new people we don't need. We shouldn't be advertising our forum on a fucking business card like its a product we're trying to sell, like the only way we can continue having a good time is by trying to convince strangers we have fun here. I don't think it should be necessary for any of us to spend money on advertisement for this place at any point, and doing so only makes those who can't or dont want to pitch in feel uncomfortable. The entire idea is hella awk. We're a community that's supposed to be here in support of a web project. Not ourselves. If you want to go out and do good, maybe you should try making business cards that instead advertise not the forum, but the webseries. We could try and make twbb at least slightly relevant. Heck, a good selling point for getting into the series could be the strong community supporting it, and we could mention that on the cards, along with a link to the forum. We would not in any way be the main focus of the business cards. And that should be it, in my opinion.
SnakeInABox
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DRTJR on Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:16 pm

You go Comrade, fight for what you believe in.

I am going to agree with Snake, this isn't a wise venture for our little internet home. What do we offer that The Escapist or Bungie.net can't provide? our strength is in our small size we all know each other and even predict their actions to an extent, and if we do experience a massive growth we'll lose that net of constructiveness and we become another rotating circle of faces that get drowned out by the next wave.
DRTJR
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Weldar on Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:58 am

I don't think trying to bring in new people is a bad idea in and of itself, I just wouldn't expect it to be very successful and don't really think the attempt would be worth that pricetag.

I'm not a Vacuum!
[quote="Quaetman"]
There was a flash of lightning, and the figure’s visage was illuminated for a moment, a single, terrifying moment, a revelation that seemed to stop the world dead.

“Checkmate,” said Weldar, and fired his bullet into JGH27’s heart.
[/quote][quote="King Avalanche"] I doubt any of our craniums will come out of this game a virgin cause Weldar is gonna fuck them all.[/quote]
Weldar
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:54 am

Y'know Snake, sometimes I can't tell whether you're giving your genuine opinion, just trying to get a reaction or you're just hopped up on whatever substance you're ingesting at the present moment.

At least you gave some feedback on the card appearance. So, focus on the main site rather than the forum? I originally put the forum address since the main site had gone down, but now it looks like it's back up again, so having the main site on it sounds like a plan. Anyone have suggestions on wording?

And hey, if you don't want to pitch in then that's fine, that's your choice and I respect it. But I want to do something to promote the forum, as do those who've offered to help, and this seems like a good opportunity. I'd much rather do something than nothing. If you have any different ideas that you can get people behind than by all means go for it. This was just my suggestion.

@DRTJR: I somehow doubt we're going to get drowned out by floods of new members. Even when the series was at its peak it's not like we had 100+ active members. But encouraging new people is something we really need to try to do. Though we have a strong core group our numbers are still dropping with people drifting or driven away. I've seen it happen on numerous orphaned forums before, so having new blood will really only strengthen us. I mean, take a look at all the active members here who joined after you did. How different would this place be without them? So don't worry, I don't think new members will dilute us in the slightest. Quite the opposite in fact.

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Doctor Shulk on Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:58 am

I don't necessarily object to the new members, I just don't think we've got much to offer, what with a forum for a web series that ended years ago and nobody involved with cares about anymore. Like yeah, new blood's cool and all, but I agree with Weldar, it seems like a hefty price tag.
Doctor Shulk
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Back to top Go down

Post  Quaetam on Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:54 am

SnakeInABox wrote:We shouldn't be advertising our forum on a fucking business card like its a product we're trying to sell, like the only way we can continue having a good time is by trying to convince strangers we have fun here. I don't think it should be necessary for any of us to spend money on advertisement for this place at any point, and doing so only makes those who can't or don't want to pitch in feel uncomfortable.

I understand exactly where you're coming from, however, I view it a bit differently: To me, it's not "the only way we can continue having a good time is trying to convince strangers we have fun here", it's "we have a good time, we're a good group, but I'd more than welcome new people into the fold. Also, as activity's on the low side, new faces might give us more things to do."

I"m a very social person. As in, extremely so. I get annoyed on any given day if I haven't been able to hang out with friends or do something interesting. I love the idea of introducing new faces to this place I care so much about, and more than anything else, simply meeting new people. Sure, it's not entirely necessary, and it's not some sort of absolute standard for us to set, but I feel that doing so could dramatically improve our experience with this place.

Snake wrote:The entire idea is hella awk. We're a community that's supposed to be here in support of a web project. Not ourselves. If you want to go out and do good, maybe you should try making business cards that instead advertise not the forum, but the webseries. We could try and make twbb at least slightly relevant. Heck, a good selling point for getting into the series could be the strong community supporting it, and we could mention that on the cards, along with a link to the forum. We would not in any way be the main focus of the business cards. And that should be it, in my opinion.

Remember that these cards aren't meant to be advertising us, the forumers; more that they're advertising the forum itself. I'm 100% behind advertising TWBB, but honestly, at this point the webseries is all but completely irrelevant to what goes on on this site. Other than occasional throwbacks in mafia games, jokes about the DVD, whatever, we don't exactly come here in support of the webseries anymore. I'd say TWBB is an inherent part of the forum's culture, but I wouldn't say it's what we're all about.

Because of this, I'd almost argue that making cards advertising TWBB would be a waste of time. Why? Because people who come here for TWBB discussion will instantly be disappointed. If whatever investment is put into these cards is worthwhile by any means, I'd say they have to present a balanced approach. Definitely don't FORGET TWBB, as it's our core, our root; but present it as just one thing we have to offer, alongside the games, the community, etc.
Quaetam
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 41 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31 ... 41  Next