A Well-worn pair of boots

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A Well-worn pair of boots

Post  TD260 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:07 pm

So, there I was, walking to get a haircut. I wasn't thinking of anything in particular, and a random thought drifted into my head. That thought was the fact that shoes get much more comfortable as you wear them, though they often lose structural integrity or waterproofing as they age.

That sent me on another thought trip, as I contemplated the stereotypical RPG Def boost from wearing shoes. What if there was a game where your weapons changed as you use them?

There are already games with weapon durability, (use it too much and it breaks) and games with weapon skill (use it alot and you get bonuses to attacks or additional skills)

But what about a game with a hybrid of both?

For example, let's take a pair of boots.

You buy them new from the store, and they're DEF+4.

You wear them often enough, and their durability goes down. DEF+3, and they have a chance to break. BUT, they're broken in, so they've got a small boost to evasion and speed, since you can move around in them better.

So now you've got your Well-worn pair of boots (DEF+3, Spd+5%)

What about proper care of your equipment?

Let's say you've got a pair of Stiff Leather Boots (for heavy protection)

They've got Def+8, but since they're stiff leather, they're not exactly easy to move around in. So they start out as DEF+8, SPD -2. As you wear them and keep them in proper care, you might end up with a pair of Leather Boots (DEF+7, they lose some protection but you've broken them in a bit and lost their stiffness). Or, if you don't really take care of them, you might end up with a pair of Cracked leather boots (DEF+5, chance of failure during use, because you didn't properly care for them)

Now, this sort of system wouldn't work in, say, LoZ or Final fantasy.

But a game like Skyrim? Or whatever they make as a sequel as the "next generation of consoles" approaches?

They could do that.

Think about the possibilities.
You start off with basic equipment. You can go to blacksmiths and enhance it, or replace it with better equipment that you find on your adventures; but for the most part, there aren't that many different types of basic weaponry. For the most part, an iron sword is pretty much similar to any other iron sword; Except the Iron Sword that you've been carrying around on your adventures is nicked and worn, but you've gotten used to the grip of it due to constant use. You can either pick up a new sword and be unaccustomed to the grip, or you could spend money to enhance your old sword.

A Basic Iron Sword versus your Trusty Iron Sword.

The Trusty one is probably a little more expensive to maintain, but it's YOUR SWORD DAMMIT.

And then there's the concept of skill trees.

Let's say you switch from using a shortsword and a shield to a longsword; you're going to take some penalties because you're learning a new fighting style. You improve, and maybe you can even incorporate things you've learned from the other fighting techniques. You take different penalties if you convert to being a longswordsman than if you just started out as a longswordsman- Either way gives you penalties, since you're not an expert in the style, but one is derived from lack of experience and the other is derived from experience in a different area.

I'm saying that there should be a sort of reactive game engine; your equipment, your skills, they react to the way you play. Moreso than just a basic "durability" feature of a weapon, and moreso than a plain "weapon skill" tree.

Of course, this is idle thought as I walk down the street.

The logistics of programming this would be a nightmare, and you'd need to create a branching path for all possible perks and penalties to the way you treat your equipment.

But I can dream, can't I?

TD260
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A Well-worn pair of boots

Post  Doctor Shulk on Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:09 pm

I would love to see that implimented one day, that is one of the smartest things I've heard all week.

Doctor Shulk
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile http://gangreldorf.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  SurgePox on Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:44 pm

I really Like this idea, I hate how disposable equipment becomes in games because you always toss out whatever you have for something statistically better. There's never a reason to keep YOUR sword.

Dream on, td. May you carry us into a golden age of not switching out our equipment every few levels.

ALSO: as a shoe enthusiast, I need to note that shoes only lose integrity or waterproofing if you don't take proper care of them but I mean advernturers don't have time for that stuff so your point is still more relevant.

smashbro wrote:another_smash_brother: Imma love my pokemanz
another_smash_brother: thay pwn bitches
another_smash_brother: thats when they ride on bitches

SurgePox
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TD260 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:50 pm

SurgePox wrote:I really Like this idea, I hate how disposable equipment becomes in games because you always toss out whatever you have for something statistically better. There's never a reason to keep YOUR sword.

Dream on, td. May you carry us into a golden age of not switching out our equipment every few levels.

ALSO: as a shoe enthusiast, I need to note that shoes only lose integrity or waterproofing if you don't take proper care of them but I mean advernturers don't have time for that stuff so your point is still more relevant.

Well, for the integrity thing, I was thinking about how after 2 years of constant abuse I kinda wore holes in the bottom of a pair of shoes.

TD260
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vivienne Vex on Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:53 pm

I am actually very impressed. That is a damn good idea, Tristan.

As for programming. Yes it would be very hard depending on how big the game is but I think it would be well worth the work.

Vivienne Vex
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Relmitos on Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:16 pm

Some games kind of already do that to an extent.

Thinking, say, Warriors Orochi 3. As you continue to use a single weapon to kill things, the weapons get compatibility boosts. It caps at some point, of course, but the lower ranked weapons can become pretty stout if you boost the compatibility enough. A weapon with capped compatibility will beat a weapon a rank higher that has no compatibility built on it. Of course the higher one will eventually get enough compatibility to beat the old one, but point still stands. If you so desire you can stick with that old weapon for awhile.

Final Fantasy XIV kind of does it? As you repeatedly use one kind of weapon or armor you begin to generate what they dubbed spiritbond on the item, and once it hits 100% spiritbond, you can break that piece of armor down into materia to transfer some of it's stats to the next piece of equipment your gonna use. So in essence it's there. But not quite.

Relmitos
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Quaetam on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:39 pm

Honestly, from a programmer's standpoint, I don't see this as even being such a logistical nightmare, simply something detailed. Yeah, initial implementations would be limited, but ultimately it comes down to determining how an object is used and adjusting its stats accordingly. Things like wear could lower durability and damage, while specific use styles could increase certain attacks' damage slightly, or speed and accuracy. I could go into further detail but really this is entirely possible.

Quaetam
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:02 pm

This is a pretty good idea TD. I always keep the first weapon I start out with in an RPG and stash it in the bank. Finally, an excuse for my sentimentality!

I do like the idea of your equipment changing stats through use. You could also tie it in various vendors in the game who will upgrade or repair your equipment to influence its stats. This would be really expensive though, so you could take the lazy way and spend a load of money getting a worn-in sword, or you can get it for free by actually using a regular sword and bonding with it. Would probably help underline the message.

Grandia did something similar with weapon skills: each character could use 2 or 3 different weapons, and the more you used one the better you got at it, and you unlocked different skills. It also combined with your magic: you could choose what elemental magic you could use, and like weapons they also levelled up, and also combined with the weapon skills. So if your axe/fire/earth levels were all above a certain level you unlocked a specific skill based on them. It was a really nice system and something on those lines would work well with your idea.

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

FUUUUUUCKKKKK YOOOOOUUUUU

the one time I trust you with my back and you plant a dagger in it.

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:20 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top