Mars Needs YOU!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Mars Needs YOU!

Post  DRTJR on Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:21 pm

Because I can't go. (WHY MUST TYPE 1 DIABETES TAKE THIS FROM ME!)

But YOU can

Mars one is looking for healthy people for the first Colony on Mars, so Boldly go where I can't and sign up.
Because THIS is one of the most important steps in the history of man kind.

Their official press release
Mars One starts its search for the first humans on Mars
A press pack which includes images, new details and videos is accessible http://db.tt/RPgZIn7R
NEW YORK, Monday, 22nd April 2013 - Mars One is happy to announce the launch of its astronaut selection program today. The search has begun for the first humans to set foot on Mars and make it their home.

Mars One invites would-be Mars settlers from anywhere in the world to submit an online application via apply.mars-one.com

This online application will be the first of the four rounds that together make the Mars One selection procedure. Round One will run for over five months and end on 31st August 2013. Applicants selected at the end of this round will include the first crew that will land on Mars in 2023. Mars One selection committees will hone the search for the first crew in three subsequent rounds and further training.

“We are very excited about launching the selection program. Round One is where we open the doors to Mars for everyone on Earth. This is an international mission and it is very important for the project that anyone anywhere can ask themselves: Do I want this? Am I ready for this? If the answer is yes then we want to hear from you,” said Bas Lansdorp, co-founder of Mars One.
In the last year Mars One received 10,000 messages from prospective applicants from over 100 countries. Mars One expects an unprecedented number of applications and even more internet users visiting the application website to support their favorite candidates.

Applicants are given the choice of publicly sharing and promoting their application page. While Mars One experts will choose which candidates progress to Round 2, everyone will have the opportunity to know the aspiring settlers and give them their vote of confidence.

Applicants will pay a small administration fee that varies across nations according to their per capita GDP. The variable fee makes the program equally accessible for applicants from all nations and also reduces the number of insincere entries.

Mars One is looking for applicants who are both mature and interesting. Beyond Round Four,in the seven-year period preceding their flight to Mars,all the potential settlers will be given the skills they will need on Mars and on their journey there. No particular academic or professional background is considered a prerequisite for selection.

"Gone are the days when bravery and the number of hours flying a supersonic jet were the top criteria," said Norbert Kraft, Mars One's Chief Medical Director and former NASA senior researcher.

“For this mission of permanent settlement we are more concerned with how well each astronaut lives and works with others and their ability to deal with a lifetime of challenges."

Throughout the astronaut selection program, Mars One will select applicants who have good physical and mental health and show five key character traits: Resilience, Adaptability, Curiosity, Ability to trust others, and Creativity/Resourcefulness.

In the last stage when 24-40 candidates have been fully trained and qualified, the final decision of choosing the first settlers will be decided by an audience vote.

"In a 1000 years, everyone on Earth will still remember who the first humans on Mars were, just like Neil Armstrong has etched in our memories forever. This makes the selection of the first crew to a different planet a very important election; in my opinion more important than most elections. We hope the whole world will join Mars One in our democratic search of the envoys of mankind to Mars, " Lansdorp said.

About Mars One

The Mars One Foundation is a not-for-profit organisation that will send humans to Mars in 2023 to establish the first permanent settlement outside Earth. Before the first settlers land on Mars a self-sustaining habitat will be set up with help of rovers and more settlers will follow every two years. A realistic mission plan has been designed using only existing technology available through the private space industry. The first footprint on Mars will fascinate and inspire generations; it is this public interest that will help finance this human mission to Mars.

Detailed company overview and notes on the application program is available on request.

Last edited by DRTJR on Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

DRTJR
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mars Needs YOU!

Post  TheTJ on Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:24 pm

Meh, I'm holding out for one of them Saturn Orbital Space Stations.

TheTJ
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Doctor Shulk on Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:02 pm

Pity I'm not in the greatest of mental health. Besides, until they get wi-fi on Mars I'm staying here.

But it's truly fascinating that in 10 years time, colonization on Mars will begin, essentially. Late in our lives, people could viably live on Mars. It's scary but really interesting.

Let's just hope it doesn't turn in to DOOM 3.

Doctor Shulk
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile http://gangreldorf.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Omicron Austin on Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:02 pm

I looked into this some weeks ago and honestly considered it a bit. I'm of good health and meet all the requirements, I'm liable to graduate with a Math and Physics dual major within a year (and possible go on to grad school), and I'll be in my early 30s come 2023. I think I'd be a decent candidate, although I'm sure there's going to be many more, much more qualified candidates to select from that are more passionate about the opportunity.

The idea of living on Mars for the rest of my life sounds pretty ridiculous, though. I might not be having luck now, but the chances are high that I might meet somebody and get married within the next 10 years, and then have to leave it all behind. If I were selected to go, the next 10 years on Earth would be really annoying knowing I couldn't form long-term relationships like that.

It really gets you thinking about the types of people that are going to truly apply for this and what sort of lives they have lived, are living, and will live in the near future.

Omicron Austin
Savior in Green

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fedaykin on Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:19 pm

Yeah, sure, Mars. Colonize the Moon first, I'd say.

Fedaykin
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vivian Vex on Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:53 am

Why would you want to leave all the people you know and love to go to someplace you might end up just exploding at? Fuck Mars, I'm staying on earth where I can do what I want with the people I love without the chance of death.

Vivian Vex
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fedaykin on Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:30 am

Except of all the life hazards we are faced with every day until we die.

Fedaykin
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vivian Vex on Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:36 am

Which won't until happen FAR far after we are able to colonize Mars

Vivian Vex
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SurgePox on Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:56 am

People die every day though, and not necessarily after living long lives.

smashbro wrote:another_smash_brother: Imma love my pokemanz
another_smash_brother: thay pwn bitches
another_smash_brother: thats when they ride on bitches

SurgePox
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fedaykin on Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:39 am

Relevant Link

Fedaykin
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ansem on Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:20 pm

I'd only go if i got a guarantee that there would be hot chicks coming along, and if i can bring certain...goods...

Ansem
Mustached Juggernaut

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Minby_Aran on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:47 pm

Ansem, you know you don't smoke grass out in space.

You smoke Astroturf.

Minby_Aran
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile http://valiant-brawlers.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:59 pm

Vivivi-vi Vi-vivi wrote:Why would you want to leave all the people you know and love to go to someplace you might end up just exploding at? Fuck Mars, I'm staying on earth where I can do what I want with the people I love without the chance of death.

Why did the first humans leave Africa? Why did people leave civilised Europe to go live in a wilderness on the other side of the Atlantic? Why did settlers strike out into the Great Plains and Oregon? It's human nature to go out into unknown and find someplace new to live, even if it's dangerous.

Y'know, I did consider this myself, but there's no way I'd ever get through because of my Raynaud's (it's bad enough in an English winter, let alone in the depths of space). But oh man, can you imagine being a palaeontologist on Mars? Just imagine finding the first definate, undisputable fossil. It'd be fantastic.

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

FUUUUUUCKKKKK YOOOOOUUUUU

the one time I trust you with my back and you plant a dagger in it.

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Perry on Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:53 pm

I'd like it but I'm mostly put off by the fact that you can't "simply be there" and just do your thing you do on mars. You actually have to be a part of a team and a system, and you get like a shitload of responsibility and obligations.... I dun like that.

Perry
Savior in Green

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:26 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top