The Castlevania discussion thread

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Castlevania discussion thread

Post  Eiron on Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:02 pm

I didn't even know that they were coming out with those.

Eiron
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Blue Madness on Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:20 pm

Reviving thread, ha ha ha.

So, the Xbox 360 and PS3 Castlevania I mentioned before was appearently dropped in favor of the one announced on E3, Castlevania: Lords of Shadows, which is oddly being developed by Kojima Productions. Now, while the game may end up being awesome, and finally do something about the relationship between "Castlevania" and "3D", there are three things that made me worry quite a bit:

1 - It was said this game will reboot the franchise...
2 - Still no sign of Dracula up to this point...
3 - It was also said this game will radically change the direction of the series...

So, my worries are that they're planning to make the previous games non-canon and turn Castlevania into something totally different. What I mean by "totally different" is without Dracula and/or Belmonts, which would simply be horrible and atrocious (and would radically change the direction of the series...). And seriously, Castlevania without Dracula isn't Castlevania. So, I, as a fan, am a bit afraid they simply throw away everything that had been stablished in the franchise (I personally think that if they do this, Kojima will have "some" angry fans knocking at his door....). So, what do you think? Am I being too paranoid? Or is it maybe possible? And if you think I'm wrong, what do you think these 3 numbers over there could mean?

Blue Madness
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sanosukesama on Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:18 pm

Well, it all depends on the execution of the series. A reboot worked for the James Bond & Batman movie series, so its not to say they're all bad. But some of the issues you brought up does make a man winch, like calling it 'Castlevania' & having no Dracula/Belmonts, but...Patrick Stewart? Suspect Hrm, guess all we can do is wait & watch. Your paranoia is definitely noted, as it wouldn't take a lot to mess up Castlevania....*coughCastlevania64cough*

Sanosukesama
Savior in Green

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1838315556&ref=name

Back to top Go down

Post  Eiron on Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:12 am

*sigh*

I clicked on this thread, and the first thing I see is Gorblax's post. I was so excited, thinking he was back.

Eiron
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sanosukesama on Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:31 pm

Aite, went back & reviewed the thread, & discovered its epicness. SotN is actually my favorite game of all time. The combination of 'Castleroid' gameplay, where you cannot progress without having a certain move/ability to open the new area, was great because the abilities/moves you got rocked? Transforming into a wolf or a bat? Win. Super Jump, Double Jump, familiars, it all gave the game much customization. Then there were the weapons, with so many to choose from including swords, spears, even chakram & nunchakus. The music rocked even for PS1 & the boss fights were epic, my fave is still the boss composed of dead bodies that he attacks Alucard with. So IMO, the RPG leveling, the 2-D exploration, boss fights, awesome soundtrack, & yes, epic writting propelled this game to the top of my list. If anyone hasn't played it, definitely check it out, plus its on 360 & PS3 network.
Castlevania: Judgement kind of had funky character design the first time I saw it. It was done by the same artist of DeathNote, but the first time I read the article, they ust showed Alucard, Simon Belmont & Dracula. I thought Alucard was a little different, but Simon Belmont really worked, it was a good design IMO. After the game released, I checked it out on the Castlevania Wiki (which Blue posted up earlier) & most of the designs were pretty good. Trevor Belmont, Sylpha & Shanoa were all really impressive, but then I saw the Gametrailers review. They were a part of the negativity train, claiming the game had bad balance between characters, awkward controls, and some of the character storylines were non-sensical. Still want to try it out though, for whatever reason, the game looks like fun & its Castlevania~
The GBA Aria of Sorrow is also very recommended, Soma Cruz is my favorite main character yet he's not a Belmont Razz The gameplay was spot on SotN & the Soul System was a pleasant change. You can customize Soma to be a brutal attacker or a rock solid defense machine while keeping up with the hack n slash elements of SotN. The DS incarnations were all decent additions, though some reviewers were saying how much more can you innovate the 'Castle-roid' style of gameplay. Portrait of Ruin with its two different character styles to play as & Order of Ecclesia with the glyphs, pretty fun & Ecclessia was more difficult than earlier Castlevanias, so it gives a good challenge to Castlevania players who breezed through earlier incarnations.
To clarify more earlier post, Castlevania shouldn't toss out Dracula or the Belmonts even if they're trying to re-new the Castlevania franchise. If that's the case, there's no need to call it Castlevania, re-name it something else to avoid confusion, but that tactic runs the risk of drawing in Castlevania fans. And although there's nothing wrong with 3-D, the weapons & abilities set would be the determining factors as to weather or not this will be effective. Devil May Cry & Ninja Gaiden pull off 3-D combat really well, so there's still hope for Castlevania. About Kojima, if there's one thing he's good at, its storytelling. He may do it in long twisting cutscenes, but the Metal Gear storyline was still compelling, so having that on his resume is also reassuring. When more information gets released, hopefully we can dissect the new Castlevania some more, but for now, I say don't worry Blue ;P They don't want to lose the Castlevania fanbase, right?
(Sorry for the long rant >.>)

Sanosukesama
Savior in Green

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1838315556&ref=name

Back to top Go down

Post  Blue Madness on Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:08 pm

Hehee, now this is the kind of post I wanted to read! XP
Sanosukesama wrote:for now, I say don't worry Blue ;P
Thanks dude. tongue

Blue Madness
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brawler The Hedgehog on Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:05 am

if this game is going to be in the style of Castlevania for Nintendo 64, it will be very bad. Although I have faith in Kojima, the Castlevania yet I believe should be the 2D rpg that have been so far (these have been very good games) Symphony of the Night, Order of Ecclesia and Aria of Sorrow have been the best in my opinion (well, the classic 2D was great too).

Brawler The Hedgehog
Riff Raff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Blue Madness on Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:57 am

I personally doubt it'll be anything like that...

Blue Madness
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chaeley on Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:50 pm

The problem with me and Castlevania is that I think the best game the franchise had to offer came early. Super Castlevania IV was brilliant -- music, graphics, gameplay, atmosphere -- and maintained a good balance between unpretentious gameplay and beautiful scenery, whereas the sequels seemed to me to have a lot of superfluous functions. I know games and gameplay has to evolve to keep current, but... damn, I really miss the days when they came out with gems like that.

Chaeley
Hyrulean Vagabond

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Blue Madness on Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:05 pm

Well, that's really a matter of taste. Lots of people say Symphony of the Night is the best one (I still have to play it myself, but I don't think I wouldn't like it), and I personally didn't like Super Castlevania IV at all... Just not my style of game, I prefer the new, "Metroidvania" games.

Blue Madness
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chaeley on Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:38 pm

Blue Madness wrote:Well, that's really a matter of taste. Lots of people say Symphony of the Night is the best one (I still have to play it myself, but I don't think I wouldn't like it), and I personally didn't like Super Castlevania IV at all... Just not my style of game, I prefer the new, "Metroidvania" games.

For me Castlevania IV has nostalgia on its side, but I can definitely see where people would find the newer versions more appealing. Part of my irritation with SotN was that the music seemed to get at once busier and less memorable, so the atmosphere of IV just wasn't present for me in SotN. This goes for gameplay too -- busier, but with no real discernable improvements.

I think I just find it a lot harder to get attached to newer versions of games I enjoyed as a kid because the whole time I'm thinking, "...wasn't it good as is?" ---> which of course is... unproductive, but I guess that's why I don't develop them. Rolling Eyes

Chaeley
Hyrulean Vagabond

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Relmitos on Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:38 pm

This was, in my opinion, the best tune in SotN, Lost Paintings

Relmitos
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Blue Madness on Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:05 am

My worries about Lords of Shadow are starting to fade with the new trailer (an extended version of the previous one), where a voice can be heard at the end saying the following:
"Mark me well... I'll wipe the name of Belmont from this world... FOREVER!!"

Whoever says this isn't seen in the trailer, but judging from this and his other lines, it's most probably Dracula himself. This and the fact the Belmonts were mentioned, make me a lot more relaxed about all this.

Blue Madness
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jumpingwhitebean on Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:10 pm

Aria of Sorrows was like the worst game I have ever played.

jumpingwhitebean
Dedede's Enforcer

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/jumpingwhitebean

Back to top Go down

Post  xXkawai_baka_420Xx on Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:28 am

I love constructive critisism.

Just me?

Hell, Yeah sure, Aria was fairly bad compared to the other (two) Castlevania games I've played. But hey, I still liked it.

xXkawai_baka_420Xx
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Location : >insert some witty crap video game reference to make myself cool among the crowd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Blue Madness on Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:25 am

Wtf... what were the other two?

Blue Madness
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jumpingwhitebean on Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:51 pm

Fobby wrote:I love constructive critisism.

Just me?

Hell, Yeah sure, Aria was fairly bad compared to the other (two) Castlevania games I've played. But hey, I still liked it.
They would make you run to one side of the game then make you get something then you would have to run all the way back in order to get something else. It was so time consuming and made the game rather boring.

jumpingwhitebean
Dedede's Enforcer

Back to top Go down

Post  xXkawai_baka_420Xx on Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:45 pm

Blue Madness wrote:Wtf... what were the other two?

Harmony and Original.

Harmony was my favourite, I managed to get that as a double pack for the GBA.

@JWB, Ah. Makes sense.

xXkawai_baka_420Xx
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

Location : >insert some witty crap video game reference to make myself cool among the crowd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jumpingwhitebean on Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:48 pm

Fobby wrote:
Blue Madness wrote:Wtf... what were the other two?

Harmony and Original.

Harmony was my favourite, I managed to get that as a double pack for the GBA.

@JWB, Ah. Makes sense.
Like I loved the game until I had to start finding things. It would be fun if maybe you got a hint once or twice not just OH BY THE WAY YOU CAN'T CONTINUE FROM HERE! And then the game suddenly ends if you don't have the right items equipped.

jumpingwhitebean
Dedede's Enforcer

Back to top Go down

Post  xXkawai_baka_420Xx on Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:50 pm

I actually don't know what you're talking about.

I stopped at the cocktrices.

xXkawai_baka_420Xx
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 4:26 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top