Mafia Game 27: What Lurks in the Void

Page 1 of 18 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 18  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Mafia Game 27: What Lurks in the Void

Post  TheTJ on Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:00 pm

Kempswood is a small town in southern Maine, the people there try to cultivate a sense of community. It's a town where people look out for each other. It was started by a community of Lumberjacks and thrived until Restrictions were placed on logging sometime around the 70s. Now the town lives on more out of habit than serving any real function.

This morning found the town square very quiet. The night before a heavy storm had rolled through town and most folk had been kept up much later than usual. Only one thing was moving through the streets this early. Earl Cambert had the unenviable task of cleaning the roads of debris after a heavy storm, usually broken tree limbs this close to the forest. This one had thrown branches all over the road, in some spots so thick you couldn't see the pavement beneath the sticks. Earl squinted up at the rising sun. "Always the way, isn't it?" He mused to himself. "After every big storm it's insufferably shining in the morning, as if the sky's playing innocent over what it did." He spat on the ground and bent over to lift a larger pile of sticks into the truck.

The pile wouldn't move, something was causing the branches to clump together. Earl found a nearby thick branch sitting by itself and used it as a makeshift crowbar to either shift them apart or snap off whatever branches were snagged. He found a good leverage point, stuck the branch he held into the gap, and heaved. He wished he hadn't.

The waterlogged corpse in the pile didn't hold together that well under so much pressure.

--------------------------------------------------

The town hall was in a furor before noon. The body had not been identifiable after the night in the rain and Earl's... efforts. Word had spread quickly, first among those who had heard Earl's screaming although it didn't take long to move on from there. Most townfolk wanted to know the cause of death and if they were in danger too, although some were just busy-bodies who couldn't pass up a chance to gossip about a death. The official line from city hall was "The Victim was out in the storm when a falling branch struck him."

This official statement didn't hold up too well owing to the fact that the body didn't seem to have a head, or for some strange reason, kneecaps. The prevalent theory going about was that some deranged killer had wandered into town and killed... well, whoever the dead guy was.

Mayor Winchell looked out at the crowd gathered from behind an old stage curtain. He didn't have any answers for these people, but it was his job to calm them down. Although what kind of madman would take a fella's KNEES is a mystery to me, he thought. Still he was mayor and that came with it's drawbacks as well as its perks. He took a deep breath and walked out from behind the curtain. Instantly the sound trebled in the room as every person at once tried to ask him questions.

The Mayor took the podium and held his hand up for silence. Gradually the room quieted until it hit a low murmur, which was about as good as it was probably going to get. "Now, we all know something terrible did indeed happen last night," he began as confidently as he could, "and not much is known about it apart from the gory details I'm sure you've all already heard. As of right now we do not know how this man died, but we are working on solving the matter. Not 20 minutes ago I sent my son Daniel out to Shapleigh to get qualified people down here to see what they can. Until they return all we can do is speculate."

Mayor Winchell then resigned himself to answering questions for the next hour, most of these were something along the lines of how to catch the psychotic serial killer loose in their midst. Most of the meeting was spent trying to downplay that possibility and more or less stall until some professionals showed up, at which point THEY could field all the questions as for as Winchell was concerned. He was just about to close the meeting when Daniel practically kicked the doors down as he rushed into the room. Fool kid! Thought the Mayor, What's he doing, TRYING to start a panic?

"There's no road out of town!" he cried. There was a confused lull as the town processed this. The Mayor waved his son over as frantically as he dared without drawing too much attention. As Daniel walked up all eyes seemed to be on him so the Mayor took him behind the curtain. The second they were out of site the noise from the town raised again. The Mayor knew he'd pay for this in more questions later, but he had to talk to his son first.

"Okay", he said with forced calm. "What's this about the roads being gone? Did the ground give way with the storm? A tree fall across the road?" Daniel was shaking his head forcefully. "No Dad, it just wasn't there anymore... like it was never there. At some point the road just... stops. After that there are a bunch of trees where the road should be. I checked the other roads out of town too, and as soon as they hit the town's borders it just... turns to woods."

The Mayor looked dumbly at his son for a minute. Daniel was just turning 22 and was old enough to be growing out of the pranks he had been known to play from time to time. More, he KNEW not to pull anything like this in the middle of a crisis. Daniel had probably tried to get out of town and had been stopped... the implications of which were just reaching the mayor. If the roads out of town WERE gone he'd be the highest authority as far as this body went and it didn't look like that would change soon.

He peeked back at the crowd. Some now were visibly shaken and some were eyeing each other nervously. Nothing he said would put them at ease, but maybe he could prevent further damage being done. "LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!" he shouted above the now panicking chatter. When it quieted he began again. "Ladies and gentlemen, I won't lie.  We do not know what killed the man Earl found this morning, it seems we will be unable to travel to nearby towns, and phones have unfortunately been taken out by the storm. However there is no reason to assume that anyone else will die. Just go about your business as normal, and if it would make you feel better to stay indoors feel free to do so. We should have this mess cleared up by tomorrow."

The Townspeople left muttering darkly. They KNEW someone had killed.... what's-his-name, and they would NOT be next. All they had to do was find who had done this and pay them back. None of the townspeople noticed the slightly dark wisps of miasma floating inches below the ceiling, they were too busy sizing each other up.

Day One has Begun! It will last until 12:00 Eastern on July 3rd (48 hours)

1. Snake - Town
2. Quaetam
3. Spont - Mafia
4. Minby - Mafia
5. Surgepox
6. Relmitos - Town
7. Darkfalco
8. Magician's Adviser - Mafia
9. Catterick
10. Raya
11. Requiem - Town
12. JGH - Town
13. Fedaykin - Town
14. TD260 - Cult
15. SpoonMan - Town
16. Sahrimnir
17. Deanna - Cult
18. Natasha - Town
19. Weldar - Mafia
20. KnightOwl - Mafia
21. Smash - Town

Some Quick Rules:

-No editing posts if you can help it. If you had a spelling error it'll just have to sit there I'm afraid.
-No PMs
-No quoting or screen-capping your role PM. The gist of what you can do and the roleclaim itself is fine.
-No Upvoting or downvoting posts or votes you like. This gets real petty real fast.

Day 1 - Requiem was lynched

Night 1 - TD260 was killed

Day 2 - The Magicians Adviser is Lynched

Night 2 - Snake is Killed
             Minby is Killed

Day 3 - Deanna is Lynched

Night 3 - No One Died

Day 4 - SpoonMan was Lynched

Night 4 - JGH was Killed
             Natasha was Mod-killed

Day 5 - Spont was Lynched

Night 5 - Fedaykind was killed

Last edited by TheTJ on Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:13 pm; edited 4 times in total

TheTJ
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mafia Game 27: What Lurks in the Void

Post  Requiem on Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:15 pm

I'm gonna start this off Vote: DarkFalco! It must be done! I was wrong about Viv last game, but this time it's surely DF! Pay no attention to the fact that she's my other day one standard vote!

Requiem
Savior in Green

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SnakeInABox on Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:37 pm

I am instantly very excited about this game. The introduction made it immediately feel like the irl mafia games I used to put together for the theatre group back in high school. Where everyone sat in a circle and jerked off onto eachother until someone confessed.

Of course that last parts not true.... no one ever confesses in mafia lol Razz

Anyway jokes and nostalgia aside, based on this introduction and the role I was given (Which while nothing special is still certainly not something I've ever seen before), I very quickly realize this is going to be a slight change of pace from the games we usually play.

Not to fucking mention the fact that we have 4 fucking new people thrown into the mix, three of which I assume doesn't know bump-kiss about our people here and how we do things. I remember back in my day, the good old two thousand aughts, when a person came for There Will Be Brawl and then after weeks of introductions, stayed for mafia. Activities just not the same as it used to be though, and I guess you could say that when drifters like Quaetam joined up everything here started to go downhill XD (Happy 21st Birthday to Q btw)

I'm going to vote on day 1 for someone, instead of surging out with a nl. But I was fortunate enough to be one of the first people talking, so before I vote this phase I have some time to observe and process some of these new guys.... And some of the old guys too, seeing as it's been over a year since I've last played, yea?

SnakeInABox
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Deanna on Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:00 pm

Vote SnakeInABox

Not throwing about a vote to initiate early game debauchery? Most uncouth, and I do say that ever so verily!

Also, hi everyone!

Deanna
Toad Thug

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fedaykin on Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:09 pm

Deanna wrote:Vote SnakeInABox

Not throwing about a vote to initiate early game debauchery? Most uncouth, and I do say that ever so verily!

Also, hi everyone!

*grabs popcorn*

ooooh this is going to be fun Razz

Fedaykin
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Relmitos on Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:39 pm

A quick visit to my RNG web site tells me the random voting stage vote should fall on.......Spont.

So.......

Vote: Spont

Relmitos
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SurgePox on Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:15 am

instead of surging out with a nl
I like this.

vote: no one

smashbro wrote:another_smash_brother: Imma love my pokemanz
another_smash_brother: thay pwn bitches
another_smash_brother: thats when they ride on bitches

SurgePox
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Spontaneous Combustion on Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:19 am

Loving the fluff text here. The story seems promising.

I could throw a vote back at Relm, but how boring and predictable would that be.
Vote: Q

Because voting for him worked SO WELL last time.

Spontaneous Combustion
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Spontaneous Combustion on Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:20 am

Oh goddammit.

Pretend that that vote was in bold.

Spontaneous Combustion
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Catterick on Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:44 am

^ Never!

I'll never forget what's-his-name, but hearing of that horrible end I really want to. It's vital we find who (or what) is responsible.

In other news, new game means new avatar. No clues here, it's meant as a representation of my 26 role looked like in my head.

We need to throw some random votes around and see if we strike anything. Vote: DarkFalco cause I never got a chance to last game. I'll shift it in due course to put some pressure on someone else if things get interesting but this should get the ball rolling.

Catterick
Cannibal Suspect

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SpoonMan Abrams X on Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:01 am

Fedaykin wrote:
Deanna wrote:Vote SnakeInABox

Also, hi everyone!

*grabs popcorn*

ooooh this is going to be fun Razz

Why not join the fun, fence sitter?

Vote: Snake

Just because you're on page 1 doesn't mean you can't participate & actually vote.

SpoonMan Abrams X
Dedede's Enforcer

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/LePieLives

Back to top Go down

Post  KnightOwl on Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:25 am

Hi everyone! ^.^/

##Vote: Spoon

Why is it scummy not to lay down a vote?

KnightOwl
Riff Raff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sahrimnir on Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:10 am

KnightOwl wrote:Why is it scummy not to lay down a vote?
I don't think it is. Especially not as Snake said he would vote later in the day phase. Choosing to wait until he has more to go on seems like a reasonable course of action to me.

Sahrimnir
Bowser's Right Hand

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fedaykin on Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:41 am

@Spoon: the reason was me going to work. And yes, this fence is quite comfy, I'll sit here a buit longer.

Fedaykin
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Deanna on Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:18 am

KnightOwl wrote:Hi everyone! ^.^/

Because, you see; rather than using the limited time to actively do things like apply pressure with votes to develop reads, withholding a vote accomplishes nothing.

Only scum sits by and let others do their work for them. You can't trust that anyone/everyone else will be active enough to make things happen, and the less that happens, the less that everyone has to develop reads off of, let it be reads for the current day phase or potential associative reads for the following days.

Deanna
Toad Thug

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Magician's Adviser on Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:53 am

Vote: Natasha
Why? Because 18 is my lucky number

The Magician's Adviser
Corrupt Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KnightOwl on Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:57 am

Deanna wrote:
KnightOwl wrote:Hi everyone! ^.^/

Because, you see; rather than using the limited time to actively do things like apply pressure with votes to develop reads, withholding a vote accomplishes nothing.

Only scum sits by and let others do their work for them. You can't trust that anyone/everyone else will be active enough to make things happen, and the less that happens, the less that everyone has to develop reads off of, let it be reads for the current day phase or potential associative reads for the following days.

Yes, but it's not hard for scum to just drop a vote to avoid hassle, is it?

Is there any way to make the textbox not grey on white text? It's not very nice to look at >:

KnightOwl
Riff Raff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KnightOwl on Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:58 am

*grey text on a white background

KnightOwl
Riff Raff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sahrimnir on Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:28 am

Click the icon furthest to the right above the textbox, the one called "Switch Editor Mode" if you hover on it.

Sahrimnir
Bowser's Right Hand

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Requiem on Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:39 am

WHY DID NOBODY MENTION THIS WAS A THING? THIS IS SO MUCH NICER!

Requiem
Savior in Green

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Raya on Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:22 am

KnightOwl wrote:Why is it scummy not to lay down a vote?

It's the argument we have every game about whether or not it's a good plan to lynch someone on day 1. Those against it say there's nothing to go on and we're at a high risk of lynching an important townie. Those for it say it provides information based on how people vote and that not lynching gives the mafia an extra day. So depending on your point of view it's either scummy to vote or not to vote day one Razz

Vote: Relm

Choosing people by RNG is mean and a nice excuse if they turn up innocent.

Requiem wrote:WHY DID NOBODY MENTION THIS WAS A THING? THIS IS SO MUCH NICER!

Spoiler:

King Avalanche:
Spoiler:

FUCK YOU RAYA.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

AND

FUUUUUUCKKKKK YOOOOOUUUUU

the one time I trust you with my back and you plant a dagger in it.

Raya
Guardian of the Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Minby_Aran on Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:38 am

This is mafia. Anything anyone does is scummy. Hell, if I self voted right now, a bunch of people would probably be on me trying to get me killed.

Minby_Aran
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile http://valiant-brawlers.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post  Natasha on Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:47 pm

Vote: Minby_Aran

Not self voting is scummy. :p

Natasha
Riff Raff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Catterick on Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:55 pm

Relm's vote was suspicious true. All those dots, use enough of them and anything you say looks suspicious. Observe:

I'm just popping down the shops.......for some nachos......

*shiver* But anyway, there's no way Relm would make such a schoolboy error IMO. Game 1 where two mafias voted on a coin flip was somewhat understandable, we were just starting out. Still I'm pretty sure you know all that Raya, Day 1 voting almost always has to have shaky reasoning.

Catterick
Cannibal Suspect

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SnakeInABox on Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:12 pm

Yea I expected a new person to immediately vote for me. That's cool I guess

I am glad to see that Spont decided to join the party, pretty quickly too. I'll Vote:Spont because I know a lil troublemaker when I see one and you a lil troublemaker

And now I voted so you have no reason to be voting for me, whoooooa now its ironic too

SnakeInABox
OMNIPOTENT BRAWLER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 12:53 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 18 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 18  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top